Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4520 JD ONLY IDLES

STIHL25 ยท 2025-10-28 16:03

I HAVE A 4520 JOHN DEERE COMPACT TRACTOR WITH THE 4024HLV11 ENGINE WHEN I START IT IT WILL REV UP TO FULL THROTTLE BUT AFTER APROX. 20 SEC. IT STARTS TO SLOWLY LOOSE RPM UNTILL IT REACHES IDLE THEN THATS IT NO MORE THROTTLE RESPONSE TILL I LET IT SET FOR ALITTLE BIT. IT DOESS NOT SHOW ANY CODES. ANUONE HAVE AN IDEA?

Replies16
  1. #1Shimmy12025-10-28 19:06

    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US??

  2. #2Mr. Wrench2025-10-28 21:22

    I'm don't now those tractors very well but it sounds like you may have a fuel flow problem. Has the fuel filter been changed? Are you getting good fuel flow to the injector pump? Some more history on it would be helpful.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-10-29 00:26

    If u have the JDB RoosaMaster pump, u can take off the top cover and check the metering valve for freedom of movement.. U can find a pic of it on utube.

  4. #4STIHL252025-10-29 06:52

    Sorry

  5. #5STIHL252025-10-29 06:56

    I have the standadyne pumps one for each injector

  6. #6STIHL252025-10-29 06:58

    I have a new filter on order should be here friday ill let you know

  7. #7thepumpguysc2025-10-29 08:25

    Is this new to you or have u owned it for awhile.?? Were there any symptoms or did it show up overnight.?? Has it sat for any length of time.?? What have u tried.?? Have u put in any cleaner in the fuel.??

  8. #8STIHL252025-10-29 10:43

    Just bought the tractor, knowing it had this issue, I don't know any of it's history and have done nothing with it so far.

  9. #9stinky642025-10-30 11:33

    Take a gander in the fuel tank with a flashlight if possible. May find loaded with algae/crud. runs good till all that crap gets sucked into tank screen/filter if equipped. When let sit all the crud falls off screen/filter until started again. Cleaning out tank then adding cleaner/ biokleen like suggested may help. Pay attention to what that pump feller suggests, he knows stuff.

  10. #10STIHL252025-10-30 12:33

    Thanks I will check that out

  11. #11JaredV2025-10-30 14:26

    Which 4520? The 1960s/70s or 2000s? JD loves to recycle model numbers. Either way I can't help but it might help someone else. Edit: never mind, I missed the compact part. The old 4520 definitely isn't.

  12. #12stinky642025-10-30 18:42

    Same, 70's 4520 Totally different animal.

  13. #13STIHL252025-11-04 13:13

    Put new filter on and new fuel in tank did not find any contamination and it still wont rev

  14. #14mg23612025-11-08 07:13

    Did you check the fuel tank vent? Tank may be clear, but maybe a supply line is plugged? Check the fuel pressure when the issue is occurring?

  15. #15STIHL252025-11-08 07:31

    I took the cap off still does it, I did get a manual for it through my local dealer by looking at the manual it looks like the fuel line coming up from the lift pump to the filter base is attached to the wrong side of the filter base looks like the fuel pressure solenoid and the fuel inlet line are switched I'll correct that on Tuesday when I get back to the shop.

  16. #16STIHL252026-01-02 07:51

    the cause of the problem ended up being the ECU it was showing a VIN code and derating after a short time running