Procrastinated about posting but what the heck. Started on one of two identical 454 chevy rebuilds for one ton 4x4 tow trucks, outside work I guess. Both are old LS-5's gen IV, early 70's, 1974's to be exact, low power/torque engines built during the oil embargo of 1973. Chevy detuned the 454 which came out in 1970 rated up to 450 hp and was said it was a conservative figure put on it for insurance reasons, although no dyno proof it was 500 hp. 1974 versions were rated at 215 & 235 horse power and 360 torque. With a compression ratio of 8.2 and 7.8 depending on cylinder head combustion chamber CC's, chevy made closed and open chamber heads ranging from 99 to 122 CC's using flat top 2 & 4 valve relief pistons and a steel shim head gasket. Camshafts were really small, 196 intake & 200 duration @ .050 lift which was 215 & 230 advertised duration. Lift was really low 398 and 415 advertised. The real low profile intake manifolds were basically nothing more than a place to mount a 4 barrel, and the Quadrajet was 600 to 650 cfm but wasn't a real problem. There were 750 & 800 CFM Q-jets which can be distinguished by a small bump inside bottom of primary venturi's. Heads were either 2.07 or 2.19 intake valves, but 2.07's work just fine for mild power gains. ----Both of these engine will get a compression ratio bump to 9.1 with 100 thousands tall hypereutectic dome pistons. To figure that a formula of bore and stroke with compression height, a dome volume of -10.50 and deck clearance with head gasket figured in gives compression ratio. Hypereutectic pistons reflect allot of heat back to combustion chamber so a real critical step is ring gap, wider by double for top ring and a few thousands for second ring. A standard gap for a bore over 4" is .004 for inch of bore diameter. The gap for towing is figured @ .008, so 8 x 4.25 = .034 top ring gap and .018 for second. Reason--the heat transfer to top ring can close the gap breaking piston ring lands destroying pistons and scratching the bore. Plus a little extra piston skirt clearance @ .004 will have it run well. ---Cylinder heads are 241 castings with 113 CC chambers 2.07 valves, oval ports. a common head back then. With stock ratio-stock sled rockers and 3/8" diameter pushrods, Chevy also made them with 5/16 pushrods. Roller rockers or roller tip rockers really add {zero hp gain} unless a higher ratio & combined with a roller cam, stock ratio is 1.7. ---Camshaft I will use will be a Comp Cams 260 flat tappet. Single pattern @ 112 lobe center 206* duration @ .050 lift both intake and exhaust which is 260* duration advertised and .475 lift. Would like use a Howards Cam 263*/.488 lift but none in circulation and would be a 3 month wait. Anything over 268* duration and vacuum drops and makes for lousy power brakes and around town drivability. Plus a cam for this application needs to have a working range of 1000 to 4500 rpm, with a fairly smooth idle. ---Carb will be a Edelbrock 650 AVS-{air valve secondary} mechanical. With this configuration for street it only requires 610 cfm. With a medium rise aluminum intake and 1 5/8 headers. ---Should produce 390 hp and roughly 450 lbs torque. Will have a few photos when assembling. One I built some years back---485 hp below. *
Reminds me of a 454 i built back in about ‘80. Flat top pistons with good-sized valve reliefs, oval port oc heads but i opened them up to 2.19 in and 1.88 ex, minor port cleanup, notched the cyl bores, double valve springs with teflon seals and a healthy cam with a nice rumble. Stuffed it into my ‘77 camaro. Exhaust manfolds because i didn’t want to deal with leaky headers. Big factory 4 row rad with matching shroud. I had to trim the air cleaner stud to close the hood. Factory q jet with some minor jetting and metering rod changes. It was a real sleeper. I wish i knew what cam i used but i lost the specs—it worked really well for what i wanted. I traded that car to my brother—i wish i had kept it. I got my old ‘69 chevelle back and assembled a .030 over 402 for it with a crane fireball cam. It ran pretty good but not near as good as that 454. Ah, to be young again
When I worked auto machine I cut allot of valve guides for Perfect Circle positive valve stem seals. I never liked those--it was extra money for machine shops but used in a personal vehicle it was a bad choice, dried the valve guides, not enough oil. Especially with Ford FE heads, those had bad rocker/valve geometry to begin with--positive seals just made the guides deteriorate faster.
If i recall, at the time those seals were about all i could find. They were Trw i think. I couldn’t use the orange umbrella type because they wouldn’t fit inside the valve springs. I still have the tool to machine the end of the guides. If i recall, the BBC had fairly hard guides compared to some other engines. I heard many years later that the guy who had it after my brother, finally blew it up. Probably dropped a valve or took out the bottom end but by then it was probably getting worn out
Yes back then the high tension valve springs took up allot of room, these days it's common to run {Bee Hive} style. TRW bought/owned Perfect Circle. I remember when air powered/pneumatic valve spring compressors arrived on the scene. I built 4 engines for the owner of the auto machine I worked at. I sold him 4 SCJ 429 long block core engines. I filled all the water jackets with {Block- Rock} to a level 1" below fire deck, so coolant only had a 1" coolant jacket in block, done to keep cylinder walls from flexing/cracking at high rpm. Comp Cams engineered the roller cams----------- 326 duration @ .780 lift. The special valve springs sent with--the pneumatic compressor couldn't compress to install valve locks, had to build a helper piece for the cylinder head bench. ---IIRC the intakes were 2.40, mass amount of porting. With all the supper high dollar valve train it was $7,000 just in camshaft and valve train. The blocks were sent out {we didn't have equipment to do machining} 4 bolt bottom ends, splayed, IIRC. Aftermarket 460 cranks & rods. Topped of with 360* Offenhauser tunnel ram topped with two Barry Grant 1050 cfm Holley's, just toilets. Idled at 2,500 rpm. I never went to see any of them perform, truck pulling was boring to me.
Nice! but i hate to think how much that machine cost all set up and ready to use
That's a beautiful Detroit.
Yeah that is a pretty good looking one.
One of my favorite little known engine---Oldsmobile W43-subed from a 455 Rocket. Was designed to kill the muscle car competition, mainly with in GM. GM only allowed multiple carbs on the Corvette, so as to keep HP/torque figures high for sales. So in the mid 60's Olds started to design a single carb monster which was the W43. Only two were built, emissions and insurance killed the idea by 1970. --It was a four valve per cylinder non hemi head, even though it looks like it could have been with spark plugs in center of combustion chamber. It had valve train geometry issues so a raised camshaft with removable lifter gally was designed. At 10.1 compression it produced 440 horse power, although it was reported but never verified that a version produced 560 @ only 4,600 rpm. There is one known to still exist that was installed by a privet party in a 1970 442 that runs. But like so many things there is the LS11 reworked 409 punched to 427 that is just about as rare, along with the aluminum block 427 Camaro just as rare. *
I remember reading a magazine article on that Olds engine. Buick, Olds and Pontiac never seemed to get as much love as Chevrolet probably due to the parts being a lot more expensive, at least around here, and the very limited availability of the hi-performance variants in the wrecking yards
This guy was responsible--Arkus. *
My favorite--- I have one setting complete in a 67 Chrysler. The B block 383, there was also a RB {raised block} version same variety as 413, 426 & 440 RB's, but was only produced in early 60's with a different stroke of 3.750 & bore of 4.030, very rare. The standard B block 383 used the same .075 lower deck wedge block as the 361. Same short stroke 3.375 & a large 4.250 bore. Which enabled the 383 to hit high rpm, a favorite of law enforcement. Highest output was in 1969/70 330 hp @ 460 lbs torque, very high torque rating which made it a engine to deal with. *
I've got 2 of those beasts 1 is 383 other is possible 440 haven't dug far enough yet to be sure
440 produced from 66 to 79. Still it could even be a 400, which can be stroked to a 451 using a 440 reworked crank for stroke. The 400 had the biggest bore of any production Chrysler V8's at the time, same 3.375-3 3/8" stroke as a B but with a bore of 4.342. Huge bore short stroke. But if it came out of a motor home it has two choices 413 or 440. Still worth keeping because people are still looking for them. If was by chance a 66/67 the cylinder heads are very sought after large port, in 68 those shrank.
Both 66 and running still in the cars
Well the 383 if 4BBL is in the 290 hp range, the other if a 440 is a sought after number correct for period muscle engine, either way steel cranks.
This was the compact killer--the 340 Six Pack. By all written accounts it was advertised at 290 hp but several were dyno tested and produced well over 300 plus and almost 400 lbs torque. With 2.02 intakes, 3.31 stroke & 4.040 bore it was a torquey little monster. A friend had a 70 Dart Swinger 340 Six Pack 4 speed, it killed several Z28's. *
The Hemi that never raced--was banned by nascar before it made it to the track. *
The 340 six pack revved well from what I heard? These cars were before my time, but my grand father and father had bought a new 69 charger with a 4 barrel 440, heard lots of stories about it. Consequently I always liked Mopars.
In high school a friend bought a 68 Charger 440, it was a repo. He mowed the lawn of the president of the local bank, that's how he came by it. It was far from factory, would bury the speedo at 160. The 340 was a high rev engine little known fact, the cranks were forged and the con rods shot peened from factory. Same stroke as a 318 @ 3.31 with a 4.040 bore it was a rev monster. But if one looks at all of Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth engines, every one is a short stroke large bore. Unlike lets say a typical FE 390 with a 4" stroke @ 4.050 bore, Grumpy Jenkins proved small cu. in. engines with a light chassis was the way to go. His 331 cu.in. small block chevy--350 4 bolt block with a small journal 327 crank with bearing spacers and corrected rod length would turn a consistent 8 thousand plus rpm. He was the winningest athlete one year in terms of money won. He had a idea and it worked, soon everyone was following his lead.
An engine that has good rev range is better for road courses, especially when transmission had 4 ratios. It was interesting that cars could be had with different gear ratios. Did the 68 charger have a low ratio? My grand father had a 3.55 ratio, would go a little over 130mph or so. It was brown with the round R/T, not the strip. My father would sum it up: Mopar had power, traction, but heavy Ford had power, less traction, light Chevrolet, had it all just right. Of course people would do mods to improve,but losing weight is not easy.
Didn't most of these engines have what they were cast numbers on the side of the block close to the bottom ? There is a old Dodge motorhome here . One guy wanted the engine and I told him if he took the motor home he could have it but he didn't get it yet and I bet I won't be that lucky. It has a all fiberglass body. I will have to saw its body into chunks and haul to the trash place then scrap the running gears.
I’ve got a set of the older AER crankshaft, eng block and cyl head books which have the casting/forging numbers and it comes in handy. Most of the common numbers are in there. My cousin who was an engine machinist gave them to me when they were replaced with newer ones
Remember---there was a time when a person could walk into a dealer and order what they wanted from a sheet of specs and then add on special items.
All of the important engine serial codes and body codes can be found online for everything from a monkey wards lawn mower to a sears roebuck rototiller. I have a bunch of Michigan Engine Specification books in a box I haven't looked in-in years.
Chrysler built ratios as tall as 2.73, most old Electra 225's were 2.93, not uncommon to find 3.08 as standard. Most all Dodge pickups in 70's 80's with corp rear axle were 3.25. Ford 9 inch in many cases was 3.25 in several high perf cars.
And below we have a chevy LS swap going on, a 567 cu.in. stroker motor. *
That's 567 cubes per hole.
That would fit in my daily driver its a 1982 GMC 1/2 4x4 with a 250 and 3 on the tree. I have only seen 2 GM 73-87 4 wheel drives with 3 speeds . I don't thing who ever bought them new test drove them or they would steal be setting on the dealers lot.
I had a 1973 Chevrolet K 10 with 350 and 3 on the tree, a buddy of mine hung up the linkage and broke a few teeth in the transmission, replaced with a 4 speed with granny low. In 4 wheel low first gear I could out walk it idling. A 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix with Pontiac 350 had a 2.41 rear end ratio
I have a 78 Dodge d100, 318, 3 on the tree....as normal, shift linkage is all slopped out. Felt like a monkey screwing a football when I shifted. Ed
I had a 1967 GMC c1500 . It was a 3 on the tree . I put a car 4 speed made a 4 on the tree and operated reverse off of a pto cable. It worked good I think 1st was lower than 1st in the 3speed. I saw a 4 speed for sale that was like a car 4 speed external shifter that had a adapter to bolt to a GM 205 transfer case. I was going to call about it but didn't. I wonder what it was out of ?
Got my drivers licence with a 1975 Chev Van 10 with 6 Cylinder, 3 on the tree, standard steering , standard brakes. Yep , Passed first time. Had to pull hard on that steering wheel. Simon C
I have alwsys wondered how much the guy that thought up a 3 on the tree hated life to give everyone that little nugget? He obviously had 11 kids to haul around?
When you have 3 on floor and 1 on each side of the tree you have something
Not three on the tree or on the floor---- This one below is truly the last of the real Boomer muscle cars. 1973 was the last of the Mohican's no pun intended. 1973 Pontiac Firebird SD 455, 4 bolt main block--very rare, really rare these days. Just a bare useable factory block {machinable} runs in the neighborhood of $4,000. The SD was used to skate by emission rules in 73-severe duty--or so it has been told. It was track tested out of the box at 103.7 mph with 13.7 elapsed time in a quarter mile with a automatic, that's fast for a factory job in 1973. *
I had three 66 Fairlane's, one GT 4 speed and two GTA's. The GT and one GTA were 390's. One GTA I built a 428 based off of 427 med riser specs, except it only had a Holley 850 cfm three barrel on top of a Ford factory CJ 428 Side Winder intake, the main carb plenum set of to the right side just slightly, because it made for equal port tunning. #3 cylinder in a FE of any cubic inch with all factory cast iron intake manifolds had a issue with a lean problem on #3 cylinder because that runner wasn't tuned to the rest. So Ford built the Side Winder for the 68 1/2 Cobra Jet Mustang 428 powered. Anywho mine ran real good with a slight stall and a green stripe ca. Below is one of Fords deadliest cars ever produced--1966 side oiler 427, only a little over 50 were built. And most went to factory backed racers like Holmes & Moody. Although probably one of the rarest cars ever built was a 1967 Fairlane 500 GT convertible with a factory installed 427---with a C6 automatic. Only one produced, sold/ bought in Phoenix Az. Was on the cover of Super Ford magazine multiple times. The original buyer still had it in 2008 the last time I knew, has the window spec sheet with it too. Blue. *
1938 was first year for column shift three speed, Chrysler, but Pontiac claims the first to install it. * Too bad all the class eight trucks didn't offer a 13 or 18 speed on the tree/column. It would have given so much angst, the more angst the better. * The latest news in truck development is Spicer Main & Auxiliary transmissions are making a come back----5 X 4 twin sticks on the Tree--makes easier to stick are through steering wheel for the Big Split gear grab, yes a column shift 5 X 4 folks.
A very rare Plymouth, 1970 Fury Sport GT 440+6 *
The Sleeper--1969 American Motors AMX, 390 cu.in. 340 hp 4 speed posi rear axle. Hot Rod magazine ran a shootout at a California track in 1969, between the Ford Boss 302, Chevy Z28 and the AMX. The AMX killed both of the competitors, with consistent passes of 106+ mph 1/4 mile. Both Ford and Chevy 100 and they had to put a set of cheater slicks on the Boss to break 100. Friend had a 69 AMX--it was fast. *
I have never heard of the AMX until now. Sounds like a real runner for the day. My dad has a '68 Camaro in the garage that he bought as a basket case in '83. I rebuilt the 400 small block back in the late 2000's and the car has never been back on the road since. The engine runs well. I took it to a local hot rod engine tuner. He ran the break in, then tuned it. Engine made 425 hp, 503 lb-ft torque on the dyno. Dad wanted to ditch the burned out Th350 trans for a 4 speed. Then we decided a modern 5 speed would be better and I started down that road. Before I could get the driveline made, Dad started having horrible knee and hip problems so a 700r4 was procured. Currently, the car sits on blocks, waiting for me to pull the 5 speed and start the install work for the 700r4. My career, family life, etc has derailed this project so long that I don't know if my kids will ever get a chance to go for a ride with Papa in it.
Must have a stout cam 280/288 duration somewhere in the 520 lift range, need a stall for that one.
I wish I still had the spec sheet. I swapped the heads to the vortec style, edlebrock intake and carb. Because of the vortec heads, the lift had to stay under .500". I called the Crane tech line and told them what I was building. They selected the camshaft that would best suit my components and goal (400hp).
That's a common practice these days. It's not the lift so much as duration. People remember the rumbling exhaust notes of 60's 70's factory engines. Chryslers 383/440 really didn't run all that much lift-around 450 and some less. It was the duration that really made them rumble.
When I was in school one of my buddy's had a 1961 Ford Falcon 144 six 3 speed. Another guy in town had 1964 falcon . They had drag raced them I think the 61 was faster . The guy with the 64 had a 302 put in his. We found a I think 1964 Fairlane 289 4 speed . The Fairlane was wrecked but it should have been fixed up . We but the 289 in the falcon but the other guy was afraid and never raced us.
144's & 170's--not real good oiling system in those, plus the built in log intake manifold really caused air flow issues. 1965 and down 260/289's were five bolt bell housings.
I was never a racer in high school, more into the truck pulls. In racing though, lot of times I felt a small block beat another because of the time lost shifting. Your 289 would be a prime example. Probably was more driver issue than anything, but those little 289s could twist.
I always liked the looks of those AMX’s. There weren’t many around here compared to the big 3 mostly because there weren’t many dealers whereas every small town had at least one of the big 3 dealers. Back then the big 3( as well as IHC) sold a lot of grain/farm trucks so probably that was why there weren’t as many AMC dealers
The AMC's were fast in can am, cool story how they got started in the series.
Biggest issue with manuals--not enough practice and worn out shifter--junk factory linkage. Even the Hurst if driven regularly needed recentered and linkage bushings changed about /minimum every year. It's kind of like most things of any that fall in the area of competition. Whether shooting hoops or hand, eye and hearing setting behind the wheel. If you don't perform it regularly probably going to miss shifts or be worried it won't be quick crisp with a fast right leg jab and left leg throttle response. Doug Nash took care of allot of that, but a properly set up automatic valve body and clutch packs is hard to beat. * If you see green---your late.
One little known fact---The Chrysler 727 is the one auto with the fewest moving parts, simplicity was what made them great. But the 727 has a downfall others do not. In the rear of case sets the one way roller clutch--it's not a clutch like a clutch pack with friction discs, it's a waved center piece with spring loaded rollers. It's pressed into rear case. performing a burnout in first gear can cause the the roller clutch housing to come loose and spin in the case if not updated with dowel pins to hold it. Believe it or not a tire roasting should be done in second with a power braking if case is not pined. One way exploded view below. *
Then there is this small strut piece that goes on the low/reverse band incorporated with adjustment pillar. Many times has it been the case someone gets stuck and starts rocking back & forth from D To R, and suddenly there is no motion either way. The quick/rapid servo action on the low/reverse band can cause the strut to fall out into pan. Removed pan-reinstall strut adjust band to Inch Lbs refill and drive. *
When we vintage road raced there were lots of mustangs and a few random cougars with 289’s. Some with 180 degree headers. Man those little boogers would scream. A sound all their own north of 7500-8000 rpm.
It was made to scream with a 2.750 stroke & 4.000 bore. Those engines got real radical real fast with a cam over 270 advertised duration. Even a 268 cam was a fairly rumpy cam for that stroke/bore. The factory spec below for oem Ford cam #C302-6250-C, Flat tappet solid cam. Advertised intake 263* @ .050 lift 228 Advertised exhaust 261* @ .050 lift 227 Intake lift 478 Exhaust lift 475 Lobe separation 114 And it was a fairly rumpy factory cam, 271 hp in a 289, 306 hp in a 302 but the 302 also has a 3.000 stroke. I had one in my jeep with a 289 that I built a factory spec'd 271 hp 289 for, it went to work a little over 2,000 rpm and ran out about 6,800. *
The drag races that used to go on around here 20-30 years ago were 1/8 mile strips. A lot of Chevy guys were running 2-sp Powerglides. The only Ford engines besides the small blocks that did well without spending huge money were the 351 Clevelands, and they needed enough. Funny story about one of those, friend had one in a '72 Cougar. Took it to Sabin, MN. That's a eighth-mile track. Whatever the rule at the time was for needing a cage, he broke that time. They told him to load up and not come back without a cage. He never raced the car again, said he was too scared. But, back to the small block Fords. I remember some guys playing around trying to figure out how to lock-out 3rd gear in the C-6s. I don't remember if it ever got figured out or maybe someone came up with a fix?
There was a company that built a two speed auto conversion for 1/8 mile. But it was kind of redundant, there is a 1/8 mile track here Bonanza Raceway. Everyone runs 3spd autos with extra low gears. * As far as Cleveland's go--a motor that was banned by Nascar, it was all in the cylinder heads. GM never ever produced any small block with ports and runners that big. Only rated a factory 335 hp, it nothing more than some extra bolt on's to arrive at 400 hp. A proper intake manifold, some good Hookers and a 700 cfm carb is about all that was needed. Fords best overall engine. The Australian plant was responsible for most of it, combined with H&M factory racers. *
When I started out, first job I had working in a shop, it was foreign car repair. VW, Toyota, Datsun, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Triumph, MG, Peugeot and last but not least Fiat {Fix It Again Tony}. It was a early lesson in OHC and DOHC. None of the American cars had that really and most at the time that I knew working in other shops couldn't get how I would work on such creatures. Well I had the upper hand when OHC came to the 50. Ford with the 2300 was about it at the time. * Anyway I fooled around with air cooled allot, and eventually built a VW 2180 CC out of a 1600 CC. Stroked with larger cylinders, the case had to be clearanced for rotating assembly. So I spent hours with a aluminum carbide air file grinding the case inside to accept the crank and rods. Had the case welded behind #3 cylinder by flywheel {cracking area}. Cam shaft-I don't remember specs but it was also clearenced so rod caps missed by about .070, a half moon was machined into cam between lobes. It was a Scat rotating assembly. The heads I cut the cooling fins off of in the exhaust port areas and had them welded up to continue hogging material out to enlarge the ports. IIRC- it had basically same size valves as 2 barrel chevy heads. Then piled 42MM Weber IDA carbs on. Next I disassembled the transaxle and installed close ratio 3rd & 4th gears and custom axles. I built a sand rail to put it in. ran it some in the sand, but mostly at SIR Seattle International Raceway. Best time was 115 at a 12 second something in 1979--below. The same photo was in a issue of Hot VW's in 1979. Then I *** up and drove truck some, then went back and forth. *
Scary thing was my last pass of the that day and last time I raced it, I heard a noise at the line. kind of a rattly noise as I raised rpm at the light tree. By the end of the pass I noticed it starting to really make noise. I turned it off and pushed it back and onto trailer. When I tore it down My eyes got rather big--the three bolts holding the gear to camshaft had backed out egging the gear, I installed those with blue loc-tite. I could see where the con rod caps had just nicked the camshaft--it was about two shakes from turning into a grenade.
Funny thing about the Cleveland is later in life it was part of a NASCAR engine. In the aero-bird days ford was running a Windsor bottom end and a Cleveland head. I have one of the C3’s. SVO dry sump block and the trick aluminum heads. In all the race car dealings I ended up with a Yates Ernie Irvan 28 car setup heads-up for road racing. One of these days I’ll freshen it up and go play at Hallett. Also thought about the Silver State Classic for some speed. I will more than likely not run the C3 engine. They’re big $ when you start working on the heads. Ernie Elliot sure knew how to make them run! He’s one of those guys that can find power in anything. Did it with Ford, Dodge and the SB2 which is a great motor as well. They’re all tough on parts sources unless your pockets are deep.
Right now--there isn't anything at a very reasonable price. Just looking at intake manifold prices is scary. Same manifolds 8 years ago were about $150 bucks cheaper, The only thing I've seen that isn't too bad are package deals on rotating assemblies. Most stuff is being sold as packaged deals.
You definitely built and know alot about engines! To come to the transmission and shifting, Alain Prost said back in the 90's that F1 should go back to let the driver shift to make the racing more interesting. He said when you do a thousand shifts, you're bound to miss a few. The handrail must've been a thrill.
But to add to that just having a set of rods resized and installed/press/heat fit pistons hung on rods is about $350 bucks. So I bought a set of Speedmaster 5140 7/16 bolt full floating instead for this 454, for $265 bucks. Just less fooling around.
It really needed a front air dam, @ 110 plus the front would get real light, spooky.
A kid I went to high school with was a 55 Chevy nut. He had a 55 Chevy panel delivery {dog catcher wagon}. Straight axle with a 427 aluminum head monster with a Doug Nash. He worked for the local garbage company as a mechanic, which got bought out by Bayside Disposal of Seattle. Because of the buy out by Bayside all the company employees had to attend a meeting by Baysides owner. Scott drove his panel to the meeting not thinking anything of it. Finally the new owner shows up and the first thing out of his mouth {Who ever is driving that 55--when the meeting is over I want a ride in it. The owner was Bruce Leven--Bayside Racing Porsche, some of his drivers were Klass Ludwig, Arie Luyendyk. Scott took him for a ride and six months later was in Germany learning how to build Porsche gear boxes. He traveled the globe with a wallet full of pit passes to all the major tracks. I was watching a race and the camera was scanning the pits and there was Scott living the dream.
Showed this before--Wife's step brother standing between his two bosses. Sonny/Roy died about 11 years ago from agent orange. He was a suspension set up man. *
Suspension set up, that's an art. I raced RC cars for a hobby, and tuning the suspension was the most challenging to learn. Always changing.
Much respect for people that mastered their crafts.
So, back to the 351C, why did nascar ban it?
Back when I was younger it was hard to understand how and why anyone raced anything but GM because of parts price and availability but today I can understand it .
Like many things in auto sports----it just flat ran toooo good. Same with the DOHC 426 Hemi and SOHC 427 Ford.
Todays--efforts or this mornings efforts. Installed cam bearings--soft plugs Friday. Con rods showed up yesterday afternoon, prepared those and installed on pistons Gaped rings on Friday. Installed crank, installed rings on pistons and installed those this morning. Only one issue that is normal with aftermarket con rods--a follow up of de-burring housing bore mating surface--have never found a set including Crower that didn't need some attention. Perfect rod side clearance, turns over real nice. *
I’m assuming oc heads? Oval port? Some kind of a medium rise dual plane intake? Looks good so far
1972-402/454 open chamber 113cc 2.06 intake heads, aluminum intake, standard items.
Only one issue with gasket set--it came with 8523 head gaskets, those are for parallel cooling. The standard early Gen IV's were series cooling. Could be changed by drilling the block for the few extra coolant ports but it's messy and needs to be done when block is stripped. So in the morning a set of 8180 gaskets should be here, but camshaft got here so will install that this afternoon.
Nice color, always liked the 56 Vic. *
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 Max Wedge. *
Nick’s Garage on YouTube just dynoed a 454, Nick’s is a master engine builder really knowledgeable especially BB mopar’s,
Finished with this 454, now onto a SB Chevy 383 stroker that has a knock. *
Back when I was in high school, the 383 was every high school kids wet dream. 350's were cheap and plentiful and 383 kits were available everywhere. I think 3 of my buddies had 383's in trucks before we graduated and a few others were building them in their garage. My buddy and I were the odd balls, playing with the small block 400s. My dad's camaro (68) had one on it when he bought it. I got it to run a lot better while I was in high school, and then finally got to do a full build about 5 years later. My buddy built a 400 to drop into his lifted short bed k1500 right after high school. It ran well, but was horribly loud and drank fuel bad.
THE CAR that killed all the competition for years to come, just less than 80 produced. 1968 Dodge Dart 426 Hemi code LO23. Capable of low 9 second quarter mile passes in the neighborhood of 140 mile per hour. Very rare and extremely high priced as a factory muscle car. * I knew the sales manager for Faltus Motors Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealer in my old home town. He had a farmer come in and told them his kid just got his license and he was going to buy him a car, so he can pick out what he wants. When the car arrived daddy crapped his pants {My kid ain't driving that, send it back and I'll buy that pickup on the corner of the lot instead}. Sonny boy ordered a 68 Hemi Dart--which got traded to a dealer in L.A.. *
1964 Daytona 500--Petty led 184 of 200 laps to win his first of 7 wins at Daytona. *
Over the years i saved sbc and bbc and a few W engine low perf cores to rebuild in my retirement but now i can’t afford the stupidly high cost of the parts. Not sure what i’m going to do with them. Not only that, i can’t afford the cost of the parts to restore the vehicles they were going to be put into. I didn’t anticipate that the cost of the parts would increase to the level it has
One issue that is ongoing--is every oil change a pint of Lucas ZDDP zinc additive has to be used. Can't break in without it and have to have it from then on. Rotella T3 has zinc in it but not to the level of the old conventional motor oils. So can figure 20 bucks for 5 Qts 10x30 then 22 bucks for a pint of Lucas.
STP Oil treatment also has ZDDP
It does yes but I'm not a fan of Andy.
1964 & 1/2 Oldsmobile 442. 442 came out mid 1964 with only 2,999 built for 64. Built to compete with the GTO, it came with a 400 built from the 425 block rated at 345 hp. Very few left. *
we had a 65 F85 with the 330 2 barrel. My sister had it and the transmission went out on the way across the country, ended up in some Midwest wrecking yard. It was two tone blue with white top, like this Cutlass.
Two speed Power Glide--Olds called it the Jet-a-way trans. I had a 64 Cutlass convertible with a 330 4 barrel and 2 speed auto.
I had several aluminum powerglides over the years when i was young and regularly abused them. I still have one that i overhauled and never used. Maybe someday…..
Studebakers 1957 Golden Hawk was probably one of the first muscle cars. Only 51 model 400's were built in 1957 with a full leather interior and upholstered trunk. Supercharged 289 rated at 275 hp. *
Who or What is Andy? I have no clue what you are referring to.
Andy Granatelli--the STP Special With Mario Andretti as driver in early years. Built the turbine cars--won Indy 500 in 67 & 68 IIRC.. Kind of the Colonel Sanders of Racing.
This is a Sky Hawk my Dad was trying to get going before he passed . It has a supercharger with it. I don't know what we will do with the car it has some problems. I would like to find someone that was interested in it and make them a very good deal but I don't know how my Sister and Brother fill about it. We may keep it and someday put it together.
Those old hawks were quite slippery for their time. Its easy to see why they are still popular for speed trials. I wish i had one that i could cruise or take to car shows. I haven’t seen one in years. The nice ones bring way more than i could afford now
Ah Ha the 383 stroker---that isn't. Kid brought it by today, I said nothing much while he stood watching me gut it in 35 minutes and a couple swigs of coffee. {Well what you have here is a-----------stock 350 2 barrel engine}. Major frowning started. The crank is .020 on mains, the rods are .030 and your crankshaft is toast, the heads are 1.72 two barrels. But your lucky on the block .030 bore that's in good shape with 4 bolt mains. * So I priced him out a Eagle 383 balanced stroker rotating kit, with full floating rods, and the extras like oil pump, timing set, gaskets, cam bearings & soft plug kit. $1475.00. And he already had a cam & lifters plus a set of 2.02 double hump heads. So he will talk to mamma or beg to get what it needs. * And I have another to build after this one, or the next one will take it's place.
A little info for those who stumble here {CMC} Camshaft Machine Company. A little known major camshaft supplier. For all engines, gas, gas high performance and diesel. They grind shafts for just about every engine manufacture and high perf suppliers. Take a look at the cam core catalog. * Camshaft Machine Company * I use to use this outfit --made some good cams. Delta Camshaft – We manufacture horsepower! deltacam.com
https://regismanufacturing.com/content/REGIS_CATALOG.pdf
High performance. *
One of my favorites--A friend had one with a 351C closed chamber 11.1 with a 4 speed same as this one exactly. Type NW {Northwest} edition 1970. Some came with SCJ 429's & 4 spds. A rare car these days. I saw a Type NW 429 on a motorcycle ride about 11 years ago now while getting gas in Asotin Wa. It was a original owner car. Funny thing is where these photos were taken it very well could be that same car, because these are not my photos but Asotin looks much like this back ground. *
Four young guys in 1975 on a trip to Yakima to go cruising--two met their end where the middle arrow is in the photo below. Neal the driver/owner of a 1970 SCJ 429 Torino was traveling at a high rate of speed down the old canyon road at about 7 pm on a Friday night, lost control in the curve. Hit the rock wall/cliff bounced off and was stopped by the old rock guard rail/wall on the right side of photo, killing him, ejecting one out the windshield and over the edge towards the river. The two in the back seat barely survived, I knew all four real well. Neal worked for the Ford dealer in town. His dad worked there also. Alcohol was involved. The one below is a spitting image of Neals Torino. *
1963 Pontiac Tempest--SD 421 factory racer. About ten were built. *
I can’t make out that picture that has the battery showing on the rh side?
Trans axle.
Back then, Pontiac was doing some interesting stuff as were most. Imaginations were running wild. It would have been very interesting to work in r&d in any of the manufacturers
There’s a shop in Tulsa, Tulsa Auto Spring. Been around over 100 years. They’ve been primarily trucks for as long as I can remember. They make springs, u-bolts etc. Early on they were automotive, on the walls they have old advertisements from the model A and flathead era. Based on those ads you could rebuild your engine, re-bush springs, re-line brakes and align it for about $12. My how times have changed!
I got several Motors labor/parts estimation books from the 20's. Most was inexpensive compared to now. But you didn't have mechanics demanding $50+ an hour and benefits with a company vehicle to drive either. Back then wages were 25 cents an hour or a dollar a day, no insurance no vacation pay, no company vehicle---only thing required was show up and have sweat stain running down the back of shirt and crack of ass by 8:30 am. See the real problem is the greed runs a full 360*.
380 hp & 490 torque, I mechanically restored both of these, Maroon 1966, Blue 1967. Funny seeing a front wheel drive smoke the tires. *
1959 Simca. *
It started with the 454--now I have 3 more. All 355 cu.in small block Chevys, all the same parts and pieces. Air gap intake manifolds, 600 cfm mechanical secondaries, same 274/460 dur/lift cams rumpy. 10.5 compression with hypereutectic pistons, full floating rods, one with aluminum 2.02's heads, one with cast iron 2.02's and one with 1.94's, all get springs and pushrods. And a possible 4th one--all pays well and easy work and lifting. Demo Derby engines. *
In 1959 Pontiacs had a trunk that seemed to never end. 389 cu.in 4.062 X 3.75 and could be had with Tri Power. *
1966, last year for the 389 and Tri Power, 1967 was 400 cu. in. and 4 barrel. One little bit of trivia--the Tri Power was known back then for under hood fires. The rear carb was practically over the top of distributor and the old Rochester 2 jets were known to leak at throttle shafts, plus a float adjusted a little too high created that problem. *
Interesting, what people like or liked years ago by looking at how many times the {like} button was hit for some photos posted. #1-1968 Road Runner 383--10 likes #2-Oldsmobile type W43 engine--9 likes #3-1973 Pontiac Trans AM SD 455-7 likes #4-1968 Dodge Dart GT 426 Hemi--6 likes. #5-1970 Ford Torino Type N/W--6 likes. #6-1963 Fury 426 Max Wedge--5 likes. * Strange brew of cars depending on age of person.
The early small block Chevy-1917. Early OHV 288 cu.in. 3.360 bore 4.000 stroke. *
A view of SOHC Ford 427 timing with a Gilmer belt drive plus 1400 CFM Autolite 8 Barrel. *One cam advanced 3 degrees the other retarded 3 degrees to compensate for stretch at high rpms.
I bet that made for an unusual idle.
Not really, not anything real noticeable, for the simple fact a 427 ran a fairly violent intake duration. * And speaking of retarded cam timing, Ford & Chevy both retarded the timing a couple of degrees on some V-8's back in mid 70's through 80's. Cloyes offered 2 types of timing sets, The oem 2* degrees retarded and OEM straight up. Most people including mechanics at the time didn't realize there was two correct sets--including the parts guys. * Retarded cam timing=a little better performance milage @ 2,500 to 3,000 rpm, highway speed. Asvanced cam timing=a little better torque @ off idle to 2,500 or so.
2.6 bore x 3.6 stroke 136 cu.in., smallest version. *
1995 Chrysler Atlantic concept car released in 95, had 4L straight eight 360 hp. *
For 2025--Dodge Charger, AWD, twin turbocharged inline six cylinder 420 hp in base configuration. The high end option is 550 hp. 45 to 70K. *
2025 Ford Mustang GTD, 815 horse power, supposedly 325K IDK. *
Ford applied for a Mach 4 trademark, rumors are flying for a 4 door mustang.
2025 Nissan GTR--600 Hp V6-with hybrid electrification over 800 hp. At 600 hp 12.2 1/4 mile. Although there has been reports of a team with a street legal GTR Hybrid that has produced a high 6.67 second 1/4 mile @ 220 plus mile per hour. People who own Corvettes hate GTR's. *
First time I saw a GTR at full performance was Targa NewFoundland. 1 week of racing from classics to new performance cars on the streets. Stillen brought a prepped GTR, what a beast. All GTR have one fault, heavy. They are hard on brakes and tires.
I have a 6v53 that a buddy wanted to put in a 50s Chevy pickup he was going to build. It is in a van box that I am about to start working on cleaning out. Not a big deal but I will have to hunt him down to see if he still wants it then haul it to one of his places make sure he has a way to unload it . Nothing is easy.
Looks like a marine engine. I see water cooled exhaust manifolds, raw water cooling dumping into the exhaust, a spark arrestor on the carb and the tiny transmission looks like a reverse gear with the linkage set up to run under the floor boards. Interesting starter setup; never seen that before.
That's what it be.
1962 Thunderbird Sport Roadster, with the fiberglass cover over the rear seats, only offered in 62 & 63. With the 340 horsepower Tri-Power option or 300 horse 4 barrel. The Tri-Power offered in the Birds had a different intake manifold from any other Tri-Power. The engines set level basically in a Bird and the Galaxy was tilted to the rear like most all engines. So the Tri-Power intake on a Bird the carbs all sat on the same plain/level as the Galaxy was at different height. A bird intake could be used on other cars by using a special wedge shaped carb adapter. *
390 options in the early years-most were 300 hp 4 barrel or some factory 340 hp Tri-power. Then there was the little known or bought 375 hp solid cam 4 barrel factory, and the very rare 401 hp version. The 401's were the factory 375 hp solid cam but with a dealer only installed Tri-Power--it never came from the factory with three deuces. *
And in 1962 the 406 came long, starting mid 62 and only lasted to mid 63. It was a bored 390 with a 4.080 bore and 3.785 stroke. It had bigger rods, bigger exhaust valves and cylinder head ports, with a solid cam that was rumpy 276 advertised duration with 1.76 high lift rockers, and 11:1 compression. Also factory cast iron short headers. In early 63 it was redesigned with a stouter main web 4 bolt/cross bolt main caps on 2,3,&4. Then mid 63 came the 427.
427 Ford--Bore 4.232, stroke 3.784. Lemans rods, cross bolt mains, steel forged crank, oil galley down the side of pan rail to feed crank first, 10.5:1 up to 12.1 compression. Multitude of solid lifter cam shafts, 3 varieties of intake/cylinder heads, Low-Medium & High Riser. Single 4 barrel, a Tri-Power & dual 4 barrel. Because of it's large bore to short stroke it liked rpm. Rated all the way from 390 Hp to 657 hp. *
428--there were several versions, the standard 428 in the bird, a police interceptor, a Cobra Jet and the Super Cobra Jet, all built between 1966 and 1969. 4.13 bore with a stroked 3.98. It was built out of all existing parts from several FE series. Some shared parts from 390's and 427's. Most horse power was in the police interceptor, 360. But because of the stroke it was long legged. WSP loved those 68 Galaxy 7 liter 428's. The heads used on the CJ models were sort of 427 riser heads with much bigger runners. and the CJ's sported the same style of La Mans con rods. *
Those Ford engines really seemed to be a big heavy engine . My 1963 f600 has a 330 which is about the same block. I like the 330 it is a good small truck engine . I think a lot about power to weight on different engines ?
Chevy 350--------------520 lbs Chevy 454--------------680 ibs Duramax----------------835 lbs Ford 302----------------475 ibs Ford 390----------------658 lbs Ford Power Stroke----920 lbs Cummins 5.9----------1,100 lbs. * Off road in mud a diesel will find China instantly. Torque & Hp a 454 per lb will out perform most any in mud at 400 hp 520 lbs torque. Same with a FE engine, for high speed roosting a 350 chevy has it hands down.
405K views · 105K reactions | #coches #autos | BoostWheels | Actualidad del mundo automotor #coches #autos. www.facebook.com
How fast can that tractor go ? I wouldn't want to drive it that fast.
That's a fast Massey ain't it, it would be better if it was pulling a harrow at that speed. I'm going to say 85 to 90 area.
Boss 302--All Ford engines considered small blocks 289/302/351W/351C had the same bore spacing as a 351M/400M. The Boss 302 was essentially a 302 block with 351C/351M/400M cylinder heads of the two barrel variety, 2.05 intakes 1.70 exhaust, some had 1.60 exhaust valves. A mock Boss 302 can be built by blocking the front water ports in heads with a welch plug after machining. The heads will bolt right on a 302 block, there was a company that made a aluminum intake manifold for such a build. I built one for a CJ5 Jeep. *
Eddy Hill, a redo of a poor photo taken years ago. *
300 ton stroker crank. *
The little known Cosworth Vega. All aluminum block, twin cam, fuel injected. The first GM with electronic fuel injection. It had it's issues, mainly with epa certification at the time. only 3508 were built/sold for around 5k one these days 21K. The one below setting on top of a old truck van body belongs to a friend, it's a 1975 with a plaque on the dash listing it as the 935th built. 2061 built in 1975 and 1447 in 1976. *
Finally got a chance to read through this thread, been enjoying it. I grew up a couple miles from the local drag strip, spent many Friday nights there with whatever junk we had at the time. Summer evenings out wrenching on the carport with my buddies. Also been an avid off-roader for my entire adult life, Have a '79 F-150 that has literally thousands of offroad miles on it, '49 CJ3A as well. As to building motors, it's amazing how easy the power comes nowadays with all the aftermarket parts. Even when I started playing with this stuff in the 90's there wasn't near the aftermarket support we have today, much less the information. First motor I built for my '79 Ford was a 351w out of the junkyard, found it in the Trade Times paper. Was already .040 over when we got it, punched it out to .060 and it almost cleaned it up, all but a little taper on one cylinder lol. Found the 'best' SBF stock casting heads we could and spent countless hours with a die grinder porting, blending and so on. Rebuild kit from the local auto parts store, Comp Cam from one of the mail order houses, and away we went. Ran that motor for 14yrs before freshening it up. About to pull it again, got a '95 351w factory roller motor on the engine stand, hope to build it this summer. This time with some good heads (AFR or TFS), roller cam, and a stout enough valve train to occasionally handle those 7000rpm shifts. Also need to pull the 5.0 in my '88 Mustang for a freshen up, it's 100% stock and unmolested. Not sure if it will stay that way or maybe a mild build. Too many projects not enough time. Keep the engine build pics/info/story's coming, might post a few of my own if I get the time.
What changed the tide for the Windsor was just the fact Ford killed the Cleveland. Had that not happened the Windsor would have drifted away along with it's factory puny heads that were at best for a 2.75 stroke/4.000 bore even on a 3.00 stroke engine real sad. * That would be great---mostly this thread is about the past and what factory muscle cars really were. I only call it $454 because I was busy building one at the time which has turned into a few more. Plus the fact I spent six years working automotive machine. Countless gas stock/ performance through the years. * I don't add to any antique truck threads on here anymore----for the simple fact I don't give a **** about them anymore. * Years ago working for D&M towing and repair plus the auto machine shop I ended up with thousands of pounds of Ford Stuff. I had over 90 some cranks allot of the steel, cylinder heads and intakes, blocks. Allot of CJ, SCJ, some side oiler FE, and lots of Cleveland as well as SBF. Got tired of moving it and sold the collection in a lump some. Having the run of the impound/ wrecking yard I squirreled away ton's of Iron---Then I considered it hoarding and dumped the lot because I would never use it.
Rarest of the Chrysler/Dodge muscle cars of the 60's. 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T Hemi convertible. Only ten built, 6 with automatics 4 with 4 speeds. Only one in operable mode at this time or only one exists at this time, valued at 750K. *
Yep, I struggle with that too. Lots of desirable parts that I have had in my possession that I've let go, thinking when will I get around to using this stuff, tired of the stuff sitting around. Fast forward 20yrs and a lot of stuff has dried up that used to be common. So I'm back to hoarding again, at least things that will fit on a shelf and I may not come across again.
All Aluminum Boss 429/521--Allen Root block Kasse cylinder heads, take a guess at the price. *
$50,000? I really have no idea...
351 Cleveland Cylinder Heads Guide: Factory Iron Heads 351 Cleveland Cylinder Heads Guide: Factory Iron Heads- Covers Engine Building and Performance Updgrades to the 351C, 351M, 400M Ford Cleveland Engine www.diyford.com
Only 65K on special today only..
1967 Z28-302 cu.in. 290 hp---But it couldn't break the quarter mile at 100 mph it bested 97.7 mph. *
The 1969 Boss 429 in photo below. But there was another {one off}, the Boss 429 LID. LID stood for Low Investment Drivetrain, the LID prototype was a mid engine car. Only one produced, Ford was trying to remove the horrible weight of the Boss 429 from the nose of the car. It ended up a 60/40 transfer instead of a 50/50 even. There are no photos of it that I searched for. *
Ford FE 390 built with OE iron heads--produced 596 Hp on the dyno. *
Although Chrysler deemed it 290 hp---most figure it was much closer to 330, I guess no one bothered to dyno one to see what it really was. 340 Six Pack. Center carb was 375 CFM, front and rear were 500 CFM for a total WFO of 1375 CFM. *
Thanks for sharing.
Check out Mista Bitzys for top-quality parts and car removal in New Zealand . ♻️ The Chrysler 440 was produced from 1966 to 1979, but it could also be a 400 , which can be stroked to a 451 using a reworked 440 crank. The 400 had the largest bore of any Chrysler V8 at the time— 4.342 inches , with a short 3.375-inch stroke . If it came from a motorhome, it's likely a 413 or 440 , both still in demand. If it’s a 1966/67 model , the large-port cylinder heads are highly sought after, as they shrank in 1968 . Definitely worth keeping!
My neighbor has some cars to remove he's a small time hoarder---how much to drive a roll-deck from New Zealand and haul them off or back to New Zealand on your return trip?
Speaking of six cylinder engines in another thread, could revive this one. Chrysler A57 Multibank, 30 cylinders 1253 cu.in. five group of inline six engines. 370 Hp propelled M3 & M4 tanks. *
One of five all setting in a line----1966 440--first year. *
Any one old enough to remember Chryslers Lean Burn should be able to remember how finicky it was to tune--mostly because there was little info made available to help ubderstand how it worked--or in most cases didn't. Was found mostly on the B block 400 in the late 70's. And the engine received a bad reputation as a dog--which it deserved. But emission standards created it-sort of. Very detuned---extremely low compression rating of 8.2 and depending on poor casting standards for cylinder heads with wide CC variations in combustion chambers, some engines were in the neighborhood of 7.8 compression. Only produced 195 hp & 305 ft lbs torque on a good day as a 2 barrel, the 4 barrel made 255 hp. But the four barrel wasn't much help being the fact it was a plastic center body Thermo Quad which had a tendency for cracking, warping. And on top of that it had the same issue the LA318 had at tdc, a piston with .130 still below the deck at tdc. Which created a issue for building any compression with changing pistons, {No body offered a replacement that had a higher compression height}. So people were decking blocks and heads and intake manifolds to gain compression. The thing is the 400 is the same B block as a 383 using the same stroke 3.380, only it has a very large bore 4.342. So for many years no one bothered much with the 400, most were turned into scrap. Then finally about 7/8 years ago Keith Black started producing a piston that is only .030 below deck at TDC, with a .039 gasket and 75cc chamber it's right at 10 on compression, 84cc gets 9.3:1. And with a mild cam, intake 375 hp easy. *
That is quite the unique piece of military history. Thank you for sharing.
I know very little about Mopar history. My dad wasn't really a car guy, all my friends were into old Chevys and I only started learning about Ford muscle when I started dating my wife, 20 years ago from her dad. He grew up in a Ford dealership in the 60's and 70's that his dad owned. He still runs that business today, though they had to give up the franchise before her and I started dating. They were small potatoes and Ford wanted big, high tech dealerships.
Well here's another, Fords GAA 1,100 cu.in 500 hp Sherman tank power. All aluminum with a flat plane crank. *
Zora Duntov 327 Hemi prototype. *
I don't want to derail this thread too far, but this is the most relevant engine building/hot rodding thread I've seen on HEF, so maybe some of yall will find this interesting. Here's the 351w in my '79 F150 trail rig that I referenced in my previous post. These pics were around 2019-2020 after I pulled it to refresh it. Fitting the crank: Deep sump Canton off-road oil pan (to fix the oil starvation problems that lead to its first demise): Ready to go in the truck: 363" (.060 over) 9.75:1 CR Hyperutectic pistons Reconditioned stock rods magnafluxed, shot peened, ARP bolts Edelbrock E-street heads, 170cc intake runners, 1.90/1.60 + about 8hrs with the die grinder 'fine tuning' ARP main and head bolts Canton deep sump 10qt off road oil pan Edelbrock Performer RPM intake Stock 5.0HO hydraulic roller cam 210/211 @ .050, .445/.445 lift, 115LSA (currently running a Comp 268H High Energy flat tappet 218/218 @ .050, .456/.456 lift, 110LSA, more on that later) Howard link bar roller lifters Comp chromoly push rods Comp roller rockers When I built this parts availability was poor so I had to work with what I had and/or what wasn't back ordered indefinitely. I wanted a hyd roller cam but the heads/valvetrain combo wasn't the best fit (not enough valve spring/heavy valvetrain) so I thought the stock 5.0 cam would be gentle enough to keep everything happy. It ran great, got excellent fuel economy and sounded great, but was a little lacking in mid-range power. It did pull good at real low RPM and like to rev pretty high however. On one of the occasions where the connection between my right foot and my brain shorted out, a trip to 7200rpms led to ticking in the valvetrain. Nothing catastrophic, but it shot the circlip out that holds in the hyd lifter plunger so I had to pull the lifters and roller cam, swapped in the 268H flat tappet: I'll see if I can dig up some 'action pics' or videos of the truck and maybe some on the other hot rods, engines, etc I've been playing with lately.
Nice engine. Edelbrock heads---I built a 302 5L for a guy--mainly assembled for him, he had already bought the parts almost six months before I put it together. But had a issue with one head {not flat when I put my deck bar on it, because of time elapse they wouldn't take it back, so both got surfaced .006. Which changed compression by only a little more than a CC. Went in a 89 F150 SB 4x4. It had a 212 @ .050 with .460 lift IIRC it ran well, had real good mid range.
Thanks. Yeah I always disassemble, clean and check a new set of heads when I get them. Most of the time they are fine, but every once in a while something is off, like you found on those. Lots of people take them out of the box and just slap them on. Also on anything short of the new CNC ported stuff, most heads can usually benefit from a little port work. I didn't do anything major on that set of Edelbrocks, just a little work on the short side radius on the exhaust side, blend the valve guides, a little bowl blending and match the intake ports. Here's a short vid of the truck on one of the local trails, doesn't look bad in the vid but it's steep and slick with sand on the rocks: And here's one more on topic with this thread, doing some test and tune at the local 1/8mi drag strip: Info in that description is incorrect, truck went 9.85@71mph, 2.10 60'. Running in 4wd, leaving in 1st at 4000rpm and shifting at about 5500 gave best results. Hard to get a clean pass in a 5000lb truck on big off road tires with an NP435, but fun anyways. Couldn't see well in that vid but it's spinning all 4 tires off the line and again on the 1-2 shift.
CNC ported--best left alone for those kinds of dollars without a flow bench.
Checking a cam profile--Using a degree wheel attached to crank with a piece of wire for a pointer, roll over to TDC #1 with a dial indicator set atop rocker at pushrod put a mark on degree wheel when valve opens .050, turn over till dial reaches max lift note that, continue till valve is at .050 before closing mark degree wheel. that will give total duration and lift plus lobe seperation.
After these small blocks--I might start on a 400 Chrysler B series for a pickup most on here hate, a nice early 80's 1/2 ton Prospector 2wd. I know where one is setting that's pretty straight. My old 84 150 below. *
When I built my 78 D300 dualie dump, I found a 76 W250 that was trashed....50k miles of hauling firewood. Opened the hood to find a 400 bolted to the 4 speed.....sold. Tore it apart enough to put new valve stem seals in (had the tool to do it without pulling heads), checked the bearings, perfect. Installed high volume oil pump, double roller timing chain and 30 years later still runs great. The 400 never got any love until the 500" stroker kits came out....even stock they were a stump puller. Ed
The reason for that was no aftermarket pistons available years back to correct the below deck height issue until KB made the KB-240-030 piston. So everyone became stroker happy, to say you had a stroker was big crapola.
This one I posted a few back and said it was a first year 440---Bugged me. I went back and took another gander at it, K2-4734S carb which caused me to clean the stamping pad located on the right front of block in front of cylinder head. From 1960 to 64 the code letters in front of cu.in. displacement {383} were P.R.S.T.U.. From 65 to 71 A.B.C.D.E.F.G.. I grinned to myself--K2-4734S carb was mainly tied to years 69 to 71, a 630 CFM Carter AVS. But the letter in front of the {383} was {G}---last year 383, 1971. * See the thing is it's setting in a 1966 Chrysler New Yorker, what's that doing there? *
And I ended up with it and the 727 behind it plus radiator. The later the 383 the better the cylinder heads, traded labor for assembling the 454.
I have a Dodge motor home that has a big block . There was someone that was going to take it for free for the engine and get rid of the body but It hasn't happened and I don't remember who it was. Its got a fiberglass body so its going to be a deal.
Very detuned the truck engines were. If you ever get a chance check the stamp pad on left front of engine by head. See what's stamped and if there are any extra odd stamping like a Maltese Cross--which denote certain factory changes. It could be a 413 by odd chance.
Found one of these today, DP4B a real good intake one of very few that come with mount for choke stove. One of the best intakes for a B block. *
This is a nice car--but it's a clone. *
My 1/2 ton 2wd 1983 dodge is a extra plus a truck 440 with a 727 truck trans thrown in. Friend with towing outfit I built the 454 for, has a 83 1/2 ton long box plus the 440 & 727. Plus the 383 and 727. All payment for assembling the 454 and one 350. The 440 is a good deal because it has the oil pan, engine mount brackets, exhaust manifolds plus the 727 with a 12" converter, although my not use converter. Pickup is well used, inside is rough, good nose and cab plus box is pretty straight, doors need attention. Plus a pile of rear axles with high ratios, which is good because I'm looking for 300 and higher, 2.76. And it has OEM Dodge Rally aluminum wheels and even a spare same wheel, those go for $150.00 apiece. I'll remove nose, cab and box to go over frame. Like the one below only no chrome or badges will be used. *
Geting all the truck specific parts with the bb is a plus. Hard to find years ago, probably impossible now as Dodge didn't make many bb trucks. Ed
I had a small stash of B/RB stuff not too many years back--cleaned it out. But it's the cost involved that I'm trying to keep curbed. 440 Source, LMC and a few other have parts but some prices out there. Most all parts can be bought new, just don't want to if don't have to. * But this vehicle is going to be a highway, country road type.
A drawing about enlarging oil rifles in a B/RB dodge. Not mine. *
B/RB blocks only had 1/4" oil rifles from right side main rifle to main/rod journals. Even rebuilding a stock engine it is advised to enlarge to 9/32"-.250 to .2812 with either drilling or using a spiral chucking reamer. Marked in blue. *
ClassicCarWiring.Com Home of the original color laminated diagrams color wiring diagram, full color wiring diagram, vintage car wiring, antique car wiring, colored wiring diagram, wire color, Classic Car Wiring Schematics, Schematics for Classic Cars and Trucks, Car Restoration, Car Restoring, AMC Wiring Diagrams, American Motors Wiring Diagrams, Buick Wiring... classiccarwiring.com
I miss your old truck pictures and stories.
I'm retired in more ways than one, I hardly look at them anymore.
Well that above was more than enough about diesels.
Interesting my new found 383---is stamped G383 8-12-HP. ---8-12, made in August, 12th day of 1971. G stands for year, HP high performance. It was one of the very last 383's to roll off the engine assembly line. Factory hi-perf cam, factory high volume oil pump, steel crank, factory forged rods, and better flowing heads with bigger valves, and factory double row timing chain. I will have the heads updated with hardened seats, surfaced. The cam I will send to Delta Cam Tacoma and have them grind the same exact cam/profile on a new billet. With a set of hypereutectic very mild dome pistons with two valve reliefs and oem open chamber 906 heads it will have a CR of 9.5 easily burn regular pump gas. Plus a 650 cfm avs carb and Edelbrock DP4B intake it will be in the 340/50 or so hp range with a torque of around 460 lb ft.
The Mustang SS--GT 500 Super Snake most powerful muscle car of the 60's. Shelby borrowed the power of the GT40--427, 600 horse power 598 ft lbs torque. Highest price paid at auction $2.2 million. *
That 383 sounds like a score. Are you going to drill all the oil journals are posted?
Yes I will enlarge the oil rifles to crank. Well it is a score-yes, and easily could have ended up in a boiling caldron of iron soup. For anyone restoring a B body Dodge/Plymouth car from 71 that had a 383--these engines are getting real hard to find. The fact someone replaced the original engine {383/440} in the 1966 New Yorker it's coming out of is odd by itself. It had to be installed in the early 70's from a wrecked muscle car. Remember this engine is older by far over most people on here and built at the tail end of it's production run--it's 54 years old
The interesting thing about Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth---when I get this 383 out I will be able to find out just what car/body this 383 was installed in at the factory. C/D/P stamped the pan rail area of B/RB engines with VIN #'s up till about 1973, IIRC.
Interesting just about every part listed on {Summit} has increased 20 plus percent in the last day.
I told the characters involved with demo derby cars they where environmentalists and didn't even know it--tree huggers actually. For the simple fact they have fun trashing these old boats then turn them into scrap. Roving the rural areas cleaning out old rotten mouse infested land yachts. The New Yorker I'm removing the 383 from sold with no motor or trans for $900.00. The top/best demo cars #1 early 60's Chrysler Imperial, #2 Suicide Door Lincolns, #3 60's/ 70's Cadillac's, #4 mind 60's Chrysler New Yorkers. *
Took that 383 apart today--well the top end anyway. The amazing part--very little sludge of any kind--rather clean for a never apart 54 year old engine. And the bore has .0015 wear--measured 4.253, std is 4.250 and for the fact added clearance it probably left the factory at 4.2515. But I found the reason for the great care it was given--most on here might not have been born yet. It had a top of the line oil filter--couldn't buy a better filter for $1.59 back then--sometime before they went bankrupt. *
Any idea when it last ran or had a oil change? Before my time for sure.
Coast to Coast went under in 1990, so at least 30 years ago.
So number on right side pan rail--1B105531, 1B means it was built 1971 at the Hamtramack plant, and it came in a Barracuda or Challenger, it didn't come in a A body car, no big blocks were installed in those in 1971. But it has very little cylinder wear, and the steel crank is in decent shape. Plus it came with Chryslers hottest cam in those years, the 574 Purple cam. And 346 heads with 1.74 exhaust valves.
Interesting history about Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. * https://www.allpar.com/d3/corporate/dodge-main.html
Should fit great in a cat 305.22 mini excavator--.
Wasn't Carol Shelby's dual supercharged Cobra Super Snake that sold for $5mil. 800 HP? The other one scared Bill Cosby so much he gave it back. Probably not a surprise when another driver killed himself and totaled it. I was driving beside a Cobra kit car yesterday and they would be scary with 300 HP. They aren't a big car. I was reading about Dick Smith who was the winningest Cobra driver. He said you steered the car with the throttle!
I don't want to get into a big deal about what brand was the best or worst but a lot of muscle cars back then didn't have the best front end setup and the more frame they had the better I felt about them.
Problem is it's all covered by writers for car mags and very few will agree on the same thing. Same with cycle magazines. Plus even supercharged back then 800 hp was really up there and on the edge, top fuel was only 2,400 hp at that time for guys at top level.
383 varnish beast--varnish covered crank, rods/pistons. *
And cylinder bores are just about perfect condition after running a flex hone through them. Crank is perfect condition all measuring on the low side of tolerances, bearings were all in very nice condition, not a one was showing any scuffing or copper showing. The 383 was Chryslers best engine for the fact Chrysler never had any issues with it through out it's production span.
Interesting day, there is a car I've seen for the past five years on rare occasions cruising along the road that I travel to the shop on, I saw it out today. After I left the shop I had to run a errand to the grocery store and here was that same car parked out front. I recognized the guy driving it when I was behind him at check out. {Nice car you have} Oh yeah thanks it's a great car. {Hard to find one of those, how long have you had it?} I bought it about six years ago up in Pullman. {You buy it from a women named so & so?}. Strange look--Yes I did do you know her? {Yeah--I expect it runs good?} Boy does it, lots of power--runs like a watch. {Your looking at the guy who rebuilt that car from front to back, it belonged to my EX father in law}. *
What are the odds of that happening?? I bet the car is worth a pretty penny today. Not surprising it runs like a watch. We've seen your attention to detail that I'd suspect was instilled in you at a very early age. My dad said to always do the best you can and don't cut corners.
Not really a high valued car, 10 to 14 thousand is about all. I don't think it's all that odd, other than it landed here, most of those years of Toronado have met the end of the road by being turned into gladiator/demo cars. I've had an idea it was the same Toro because of local and color plus the odd fact there were about half as many 1967,s built as the first year production 1966 models. IIRC 1966 was in the 40k's and 1967 was a little over 20K. But the one above had a very rare option, ducting for rear seat air conditioning. * Actually people who have never ridden in or drove one of the first four year models have a large tendency to think it was a boat and probably handled like one. Which is far from fact. Those were powered by one of the toughest big blocks ever built-the 425 cu.in. rated at 385 HP and 490 ft lbs torque. That blue one above would light the front tires at the drop of a hat. With nothing more than a better set of gas shocks and the factory front and rear sway bars it cornered real well. And it's stopping distance was shorter than most. With a final ratio of 2.90 it had a top speed of very close to 140 mph. It weighed less than people think 4,300 lbs compared to allot of other cars at the time that weighed in excess of 5,000 lbs. The transmission was a massive chain driven from torque converter to actual trans was a Turbo 400 with final mounted on rear of trans case--it was named the TH425. * Funny story to go with that engine I rebuilt in that Toronado. When I got done with it and test run--it had low vacuum and lousy bottom end it would really go once rpm climbed at about 70 up, plus it had a rumpity idle. I called Jerry at Delta Camshaft in Tacoma. He laughed and asked where I got the parts from and brand, it was all Michigan brand parts. I told him the cam part number-{Jerry-Michigan never changed the part # that cam is for a 455 HO in a 442, send it over and I will recut the profile for the oem cam that engine came from factory with}. So I had to R&R the radiator, front & top of that 425 and send it off to Tacoma Cam. It ran real well afterwards.
The front wheel drive concept proved to be very stout. It was the basis for the GM motorhomes that were state of the art. Could have a completely flat floor without tunnel for a transmission. A lot of people wished GM had kept building the motorhomes.
The only weird issue any of those type FWD cars had was massive engine compartment heat. The way exhaust ran with a hump over the trans on left side added allot of heat. Because there was no tunnel air was somewhat trapped. Plus you really didn't want to use the standard shop cherry picker to remove engine, engine & trans came out as a unit, very heavy.
I read about those cars.GM has a habit of stopping production just when they work out all the bugs in a new concept. It was certainly made to be a GT, not a sports car.
Bought the last two steel shim factory head gaskets for a 383 dodge, At least these are the only two on the web for sale at this time. But there no aftermarket steel shims except in stainless and those were too thick. Trying compression at oem level and Fel-Pro were too thick at .039 compressed these are .020. Ordered everything standard. *
America always had trouble defining a sports car, their idea was the trunk had to be able to hold 16 cases of beer, even the Corvette at least early 70's you could cram 4 cases behind the seats. The British decided it was sportier to have a luggage rack to carry the pints.
the only rigs I've ever done much with are the Dodge 5.2 Magnum - 318 with roller rockers and efi, and a Jeep with the 4.0 6 cylinder. Never got to play with the cool kid stuff. oh well.
Well the cool kid stuff started in 1963 and ended abruptly in 1971. So if born any later than 1960 probably weren't going to see much or deal with much in the way of those cars. The real time span only lasted 7 to 8 years for factory power from Motown. By 1979 allot had been wrecked or scrapped, the pickings were getting thin and people were thinking about mileage not power. I can count 10 muscle cars from that era that were wrecked my junior/senior years. And now it's clones, nobody would look at a 4dr trifive years ago, now all there is left so riddin b!tch is suddenly cool. * A kid I hung around with, his dad had a foreign car garage, with grandpa the only machinist in town just up stairs in the split level shop. Grandpa drove XKE's. We had all the tools needed to build what there was at the time, gramps had a bore bar. he showed me how to run it, I was 17 at the time. And I got the bug.
XKE, sexy car. Inline 6 with the 2 valve covers, looks nice all around.
He had a 1967 black one--he only washed it twice.
They made very good float plane carriers, knocked off the ass end behind the front seats, extended the front end with a hydraulic lift ,Were fun to drive, ( Empty of course)
Proper Brit. Leave the washing to the rain
What in this photo is normal but not at the same time---for the period we live in. Definitely not common anymore. *
Seems we used to have an engine on the stand quite regular back in the day. I get enuf without doing it for sport,,, ha/ But that pic does look like the eld days. I think that is a 383 there I still use. Also along the way got a neway.
I figured for the few that visit this thread someone would notice except you have to be old enough to recognize them. The connecting rods are copper clad/electroplated. For two reasons, one was flaws, then they would re-machine them, the other is for carburizing during heat treating they did years ago, these are a cast forged rods. *
We skated for long while then ended up with half a dozen problematic engine jobs last couple 3 years. I am hoping to be past them,
I wouldnt mind a set of exh manifolds for the 383, havnt really looked, its on equipment so not going to nascar.
If your looking for truck manifolds used those can be hard to find, all the types for car are all over Ebay. 440 Source has truck manifolds just depends on how how much you want to spend. * Truck and Motorhome Parts-store.440source.com
That isnt really terrible. The factory are on now and been there running busted, 1500 hrs or more over last 15 years.
The big BAC factory swabbed on the side of block, Barracuda. *
I might sell this 383 too---for the simple fact it will still have a very high percentage of it's original parts. The whole engine will be standard, bore, crank, deck surface. With it's original pistons, rods, crank, block, camshaft and cylinder heads, water pump housing, damper and timing cover. Cylinder heads are being rebuilt with new seats, valves, springs & decked. New HV standard pressure pump, roller timing set, bearings, rings, lifters & pushrods. With a Eddy DP4B intake and a new AVS 650 cfm 4 barrel. Original intake & carb would go with it, that way it would be a complete numbers matching engine. Plus oem Chrysler steel shim head gaskets to make totally stock compression ratio at 8.8. will burn pump gas 87 octane.
Makes sense, could likely sell to a collector and with your knowledge build another engine with cash to spare.
Finished cleaning block, I sprayed it cast iron, let dry. Taped off and shot Chrysler Hemi Orange on it, it matched what was already there. *
One area that 95% of engine builders never address in the older engines back then or even now, {quench}. The desirable distance of piston at TDC in relation flat area on top of piston to the deck surface of cylinder head. Most pistons are down in the cylinder at top dead anywhere from .025 to .080. The best area for {quench} is .040. It pushes the air/fuel mixture out of the narrow space into combustion chamber giving a better burn plus it removes air/fuel that causes detonation. But with a piston beyond the .040 or close to zero it can also cause detonation. Happy area. Most late engines are close to zero deck but those are also CNC chambers in aluminum heads which remove the heat much faster. So when rebuilding it's always wise to use a depth mic and check piston compression height. Because installing a thick composition gasket can add to the distance removing quench ability. It's why I spent the time to find oem steel shim head gaskets @ .016 in thickness instead of a .040 thick gasket. There was a reason the manufactures used steel shim and it wasn't just to save money. There has been many an engine rebuilt with thick head gaskets and no clue as to why it detonated/pinged.
Illustration showing quench area. *
I used to build two stroke performance motorcycle engines. The quench area was referred to as the squish area. The top end was machined and shimmed to .020" to .040" squish clearance. Before the head was installed I would take a stick of Juicy Fruit gum and cut four 3/8" squares of gum stick and set them on top of the piston partially torque the head and rotate the engine over then take the gum out through the exhaust port and measure it.
Yeah it's always been called squish also. But on top of poor quench/squish area, there are all of the other factors involved. bad air/fuel ratio, plug heat range, ignition timing event, camshaft overlap, compression, octane of fuel, and poor fuel air suspension. Lots of things to add to detonation. Years ago before high octane gas racers often entered the pits revving the engine while tire changes or gas added to try to cool cylinders then slip the clutch to exit the pit keeping rpm up to stop lugging which starts the ping.
383 on lp.
The early truck 413 oil pans are just like what you made, about 8 to 9 quarts. But that is rather odd type pan for a B/RB plus oil filter location is also odd. Some of those photos are GM or all. LA blocks are tunnel type pans.
Even all the way back to the first B block 350 cu.in. note pan rail and filter location. *
Yes. I have done this to several engines. The blue one is Mopar, I think about 11 at and the GM about 9 ish. The sight glass makes it a step easier.
Most on here never saw any of those ads. Mopar flooded the networks with those, I remember most all.
I'm thinking to get a 1983 Toyota Landcruiser bj60, the larger model Diesel. It's been redone, nice looking. Any experience with land cruisers?
Most all I worked on were six cylinder gas--mid 70's down. Which engine in it?
I know a guy that used to have an auto wrecking business. He has a 67 or 68 Coronet with a 383 that he says is valuable because it's pretty rare. It's in pretty rough shape and the interior is from the hippy days. Maybe it's worth 6 figures fixed up but in order to get that kind of premium price would probably cost at least as much. You can't look at a premium rotisserie restoration from a Chrysler accredited shop with everything period correct and figure your car will bring the same money when it's restored. There's restored and then there's factory correct like it came from the showroom. Most shops/owners don't do the premium restorations. Sometimes certain things can be better than new like painting inner fenders when they were only primer from the factory or adding sound deadening material under the carpet and door panels.
3B Diesel, naturally aspirated 3.4L. 90Hp,160Lb.ft. It's 60" wide inside, but the rear wheel arches are next to the seats,I may still not be able to mount 3 car seats. It's a classy truck, I like that it hasn't been lifted or modified, lots of new parts but nothing to change its stance.
Its very hard to put a price on something that is valuable fixed up when its in ruff shape now. We dont have anything real rare that Dad left us but a few things would be worth more if time and money were invested in them but should or can they be sold as is ? I would rather find some one that i felt like they would do something with it and make them a great deal . The problem is my brother and sister think we should hold out and get a lot out of somethings now.
And then everything will be the next generation's problem. Whether it be their kids or the county. I've never understood the mentality to just let entire properties sit and rot until it's someone else's problem.
Not everything someone else does needs to be considered or understood or commented on. Don't like it don't read it. * Now back to thread. Correct, in some cases & depending on many factors, type of show & judges, the money is no object car can lose points for being restored beyond factory. And part of the issue is tools, methods used to restore. Pebble Beach--a perfect example of rich guys throwing millions at classic/antique cars for years only to win one time in 20 years of entering, those types could care less about the vehicle---it's the {me crowd}. The best shows are just down town Saturday morning street shows that have a bit of everything.
On Graveyard Cars they explain why they do little extras that don't really affect the value but in the restorations they do as much as they can the way it came from the factory. They have a big spot welder for panels that very few std. body shops would have. Where they can't use the spot welder they use Mig plug welds but grind them to look as close to spot welds as possible. That's another little detail that seems minor that most other shops wouldn't consider necessary. It's kind of a quirky show but is educational. They explain how things were done and why they do things as close to factory as possible. Their yard is full of Chrysler muscle cars either waiting for restoration or used for parts. Some of the finished cars you just see $$$$$.
Here's the actual on factory level--door, hood & trunk gaps weren't all that good, seat stitching wasn't all that straight, paint wasn't near as good then nor was the spray equipment. No base coat clear coat back then. Factory cars came with orange peel paint jobs as standard equipment, and thin paint along the rockers and valance areas. So if a car really was put back to factory standards most buyers would have a **** fit, thinking it was a sloppy restoration even though it represents a typical dealer showroom condition for the time. Everything is about perfection these days. The trouble is what one person calls perfect isn't to another.
For sure paint is better and they can spend more time on fitting doors, hoods and trunks. I think it's people that don't fully appreciate cars from the factory could have flaws. I think a concours quality restoration would have the same flaws it came with. A car like that though probably never see's the road under its own power. There are some cars they do with non clear coat paint though. If factory stripes were off they do them the same way. I saw where one stripe decal was off 3/8" from the factory and they put it back the same way. Other times they put them correct. I think it depends on just how accurate they want it. A full numbers matching survivor car might get put back to absolute factory where a tribute car might correct factory flaws. The show is different than other car shows because they aren't primarily doing custom builds although they do some like Christine and the Little Dead Wagon wheelstander tribute. They also do their own engine builds using factory correct Chrysler bolts and proper date labeled hoses like came originally. Little details like that make a big difference in overall quality of the restoration. I wish I had the money to have a high quality vintage Hemi to joy ride on warm summer days.
Well all these reproduction parts and pieces with labeling is kind of where things go off the rails. For the simple fact most belts/hoses were changed out 2 years after new. Those parts back then didn't last very well. Most was done in gas stations. Plus the terms-barn find, survivor, tribute all stuff generated by reality TV. Clones and tribute cars are kind of out there, wannabe stuff. But the good thing about this stuff is---it's a era long since past. Anyone that wasn't a true 1945 to 1964 boomer can only think about what it was like then. Total different era--that spawned muscle cars and classic rock, awkward choppers, top fuel funny cars, movies like Easy Rider, On Any Sunday, Bullitt, Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary to name just a few. Huge rock concerts in the middle of nowhere plus arenas. The dress at the time along with the hair cuts or no cuts. A time people either despise or love, but in many ways like to go back to--a time that can't be duplicated for one simple fact, this machine I'm typing on changed society, there's no going back. But they can still listen to the best music---made 50 years ago. *
I think the new parts like hoses are better quality but for true restorations are available with the same factory markings and date codes. I recently read that concourse quality restorations matching exactly to the VIN can easily cost over $100K! Most of those are trailer queens or in a museum. That's where tribute cars and clones can be a good option and actually driven and enjoyed. Jay Leno famously drives most of his multi-million $$$$$ collection of vehicles and makes video's of them. I think Jerry Seinfeld does too. He's had some great cars of his own and from other owners on Comedians in cars getting coffee. It's kind of a neat show to watch.
This perfection stuff is where it went south, truthfully if a car is in a show and has Napa belts/hoses, that's the real side of it. This plastic Barbie redo is not realistic. There is nothing worse than fakery in the automotive world, including trucks of all sizes, motorcycles, whatever. Standing on the outside looking in as a mechanic, really jack a$$es like Jay Leno & Seinfeld helped ruin the plain mans hobby. They helped build bullsh!t businesses like Mecum & Jackson Barrett. That is the side of boomer fakery that's obscene, blowing prices of everyday cars into the stratosphere that was a base hobby of average folk. The car market has been exploited grossly because of reality tv, garbage shows like Counting Cars and Garage Monkeys and including Foose. The only thing those people are about is money and how do they attain more by building and selling reality show tv dream rides that are crap, someone else's ideas that all has to be done to meet a silly time frame. * But the real thing about these shows is it brings out the absolute worst in people that have OCD-- on the level of order, symmetry and exactness. I personally know of two people that are plagued with OCD. Both have collections and both are ********, everyone I've done work for that own collectable cars are without a doubt the biggest zeros. Constantly gripping about any work performed, always expect to shove their way to the head of the line where ever they are. But these same characters are the ones who never get filthy, someone else always does the dirty work. They have never turned a wrench yet they can tell you or someone every model and just how many were built of every muscle car ever to hatch in Motown. I don't watch those shows and most writers for car magazines are just as bad hiding behind their latest opp-ed car article. If reading Car & Driver about reviews--it's the same crap over and over about garbage aesthetics. * I like a car built in the back yard shop that does what it's suppose to.
I like basic restoration, make them drivable again. The whole period correct is purely for museum pieces in my opinion. Radiator hoses, belts,spark plugs etc that has a very short life compared to today's standard would make the original owners wonder why we would put the old stuff on. It's other people's money that is being spent,good on them I suppose. If they want and pay for the left over carpet trim in the trunk just like factory that's up to them. For me it just show how these cars were once mass produced to be drivers.
Since we are expressing opinions,,, doesn't matter to me and it's about like golf. Same for Harley really, fine for people likes them but lots think I got to give a crap about their Harley. Same for the cars. I work on some of their business where they are terrible, some cheap, some addicts and on Sat morning all cheerful sitting at show with some polished junk with them all proud of what it cost.
I read this thread cause it's on this forum. Would not bother, wouldn't occur to me to look at cars forum. Wouldn't pay to go to a car show, that whole industry could go south tomorrow and wouldn't bother me.
Then don't bother. Then don't. I'll agree with that to a point---but just like with most what destroys it, is the rich, very greedy righteous. Museum pieces are already in museums, restorations of that level are about one thing and one thing only {ego and bragging rights}, will agree. The shop that's doing the work should charge them up the ***--vacuum their bank account, scrape every last extra buck out of them and have another rich pigeon waiting in line for a proper line boring of their sphincter. * I have had several with sacks of money ask me to build them a truck on the order of the Mack I built. My reply--{Nah I don't think so--you see it's like this, you like what you see in that Mack and you want me to build you one--only to your taste, the trouble is you don't have any taste, that's why your asking me to build it. Which would be nothing but problems from the start, and I'm not here to expand ego's.
I can appreciate your comment that builders are over inflating the market. It's very true.
Some rich owners of fancy cars are pretty down to earth and remember when they didn't have money but agree a lot of them are stuck up and arrogant. My partners former brother in law was like that. It was all about keeping up and being better than the Jones's. He had to have the best of everything mostly so he could show off. Suzuki Hyabusa, Dodge Viper and a super charged Corvette at the same time. We went over for Christmas or something and I had just got my new F150. It's nice but not the top of line with every conceivable option. Debi mentioned my truck and asked if they wanted to take a look. First thing "Mr. Jones" says is he got a new diesel truck and drags me out to show it off. Totally dismissed the fact I got a new truck and didn't even look at. He buys and sells vehicles all the time. I buy one when the one I have needs replacing. I felt like telling him his truck is nothing special, just a plain old diesel like all the other ones out there. He's divorced from Debi's sister now but the holier than now attitude has certainly rubbed off on her sister. Not nearly as bad but she likes to flaunt her wealth. She bought him out and owns a bunch of Jiffy Lubes their sons run. Over priced if you ask me. Before the divorce the greedy b*****d didn't even give Debi a discount. It was like $89 for an oil change and filter plus air filter and this is probably 6 or 7 years ago. We were talking one time and coupons came up. I mentioned I had a coupon for a free oil and filter change and the Jiffy Lube I went to tried to charge me extra because I needed 5 litres of oil. They said standard oil change is 4 litres. Having some knowledge on the subject I said there's nothing that says that on the coupon. They reluctantly said they'll let it go this time. I told Debi's sister the story and if she every gave coupons to put conditions on the coupon. Her immediate response was 4 litres is standard and there is an extra charge for more. It doesn't work that way, conditions, expiry date and what is included needs to be listed on the coupon. I drive the most popular vehicle on the road and it takes 5 litres of oil. How is that not a standard oil change?? It's a good thing (for the shop I went to) I didn't have a diesel.
There is a shop near the town of Helix Ore, {I'll leave out the name}. {------ Secret Labs}, I've been there. Back when I was building the Mack I took some pieces I had hand hammered to him because he had a louver press. I wanted a straight two rows of louvers on both side pieces. 6 weeks went by, I drove there to check on them--a mess. Crooked as a dogs hind leg. He obviously had never used his louver press, I paid for nothing. Came back ordered new sheet metal and started all over hand hammering the 7/16 90* lip that curves over the fender. A total waste of time. But while there I noticed boxes and boxes of off the shelf stuff, they don't build squat, just take it out of a box. People are getting duped. The pieces below I had to do twice. *
I don't think they are getting duped. They want it they pay. I don't think it's builders inflating the market. It's the buyers.
People in business always think that way. They can't remember before they were in business, the reasons they went into business is because they want the money and control. Everyone has different reasons but those are always the two main reasons starting at the top of the list. No different than a inflated home builder market. * But enough of opinions about about a unnecessary business, these cars are not really necessary. I just happen to build these engines is all and charge a realistic amount.
And when it comes to custom hot rod building--it's all about one off design, no other has it, only a few ever go this far. Below every photo is of hand built parts, to make it complete right down to the mirror brackets. A large street rod. *
Two years and three months, 7 days a week, basically one guy working. * And very glad it's gone.
Very impressive! Jesse James used say the same about OCC, they just order parts out of the catalogue and put them together.
Why are you glad it's gone, just too much work? It's a masterpiece!
don't have to take care of it, someone else can polish it.
Main tools I used to complete that. Torch, Mig, 4" Grinder, Chop saw, Drill press, Mag drill. Borrowed tools, Bridge Port, Tig, 4"x 10' roller, Tubing bender. No plasma cutter, I either cut thin with skinny wheel or torched the thick material. Used a pan break for some items. All heavy steel in frame was formed by HW Metals Portland Ore, or Coeur-d' Alene Steel for crossmembers.
It was a impressive build, years of knowledge put to work. Like the wiring, it gives ideas on how I can do better than current work.
The Mack is certainly a very impressive signature piece! All the better since it was your design and you did 90%+ of the custom work and it is outstanding. It's something to very proud of instead of some rich guy paying someone to do all the work. Most people wouldn't have the patience to do their own custom and make sure everything is spot on. Too many would have a good enough attitude and let little imperfections go instead of redoing things to make them right. That could be fine if not strictly a show car.
One thing I can not tolerate is rat nest wiring, even a new piece of equipment, car, truck or what ever, the wiring harnesses are just low grade. Notice I never get involved on HEF about wiring, ECM's, modules, ohms, volts, too many ready to jump through their underwear to be the first with the answer why power has stopped flowing from Grand Coulee dam, the lake ran dry. *
One area that my old partner in the shop would do when working on dash wiring. I noticed with him it was one foot placed on dash board for leverage-grab harness and just yard on it. That's a exaggeration but watching him with electrical--I just went the other way and found something else to do. * Some years ago around 2010 I guess, he had one of his relatives Pete's in the shop to repair some marker light issues on both tractor/trailer. I was rebuilding a 13 speed at the time, several hours went by and he was getting frustrated, {Gail did you check the relays? Yes I swapped one from another in the fuse panel! You didn't test with a new one? Nope! Maybe you should test with a new one!----------Silence except for the pitter patter of shoes on the shop floor, a few minutes go by---Ah ****.
I dont know if this would be helpful for any one else but i took some relays and cut their covers off so i can us them to do testing buy replacing a relay with them and operating it manually.
I have to draw everything out, the symbols may not be exactly correct, but it is helpful.
How's the 383?
Wouldn't bother me not to work on all that stuff. I hate all the trouble shooting. I am almost always glad when the fault is busted steel , bad news, it's broke, the good is it will be running again in hour for a couple welding rods.
You are more than welcome to the 13 speed too.
I had a comment the other day. I have fairly extensive shop and guy (trucking Co owner) says. You must like or love this and I said,,, absolutely not. I wouldn't have it if I didn't need it and it's all I know how to do. This is the easiest way.
If I could get Rick Dale to do that work for his price I would sit in the chair.
Looking back, I tried to tell my parents rolling a good joint one handed was a life skill. Who knew it could be a profession if you didn't work for rock band. I been working since I was toddler. First career in HS was photographer. It got to be tedious, the tech isn't what it is now and I might have ditched welding to work with girls with poor father figures willing to do really dirty stuff thinking they would be famous. I have been behind times, I have missed due to timing and should have went in to steel erection in about 08 when the economy was in the toilet. I was in other family biz with some additional life stuff and thought I could coast, in hindsight it was a mistake as was not going back to trade in 92 after a delay.
Have you been drinking?
Oh, the 383 is fine, coming along, just waiting on cam to be finished and returned for bearing test fit. Never want to set the crank without test fitting camshaft first. I will be waiting on the heads for a bit.
Delta in Tacoma finally called--finished price redressing OEM high perf cam $98.00. Lifters $105. This cam is the same one for a 440+6 six pack. It will have the classic rumble at idle.
Sounds affordable too
That is interesting, block rock. I saw a man about 35 years ago who owned a rail and a twin turbo 440 road runner. He was trying to make the worlds fastest 1/4 mile slant 6. He was in the 9.5 - 10 second area when that Dart exploded a cylinder wall. He gave up.
Yes it is--Mancini is the only one that has the actual {same} identical grind, and it's not cheap. At $379.00 without shipping. *
What is involved in redressing a cam?
In this case just that--only machining to square cam lobes & smooth, not a total regrind.
One huge mistake is tossing a cam billet with huge lift & duration because it's too radical. Sent off it can be reprofiled at a fraction of cost of new cam.
Can they repair a flat cam?
No.
Correct myself--cams can be rebuilt lobe & journal wise. I remember sending some nonexistent cam's for a 1960 Jaguar to Delta for repair. Thing is it's only done when when antique parts can't be found. * Services – Delta Camshaft deltacam.com
Cam came back looking like new, perfect test fit in new cam bearings. Installed crank, cam & timing set. I'll get a few cylinders filled in the morning, have used truck oil pan to clean too--not dented, unusual. * Plus cam is right on the numbers matching the old oem 383 4 brl 440 six pack by the cam profile card made out after testing. And it was $90.00 bucks instead of $98, that buys coffee and cookies at my coffee stop, Walla Walla Roastery. You can smell the beans roasting every morning and it's located about 6 blocks from the shop.
I have heard that there is an additive for the oil when running flat tappers and today’s oils.
Yes, correct and once you start you have to add it to every oil change. Plus the additive is a better concentration than the old oils so flat tappet cams run a long time. Lucas & Rislone are the main two, Rislone is $13 bucks and Lucas is about $22 bucks. *
Thank you.
Truck Shop, correct me ifn I am wrong,,, ZDDP additive should be used in all flat tappet engines to include small engine,,, 4 wheelers, lawnmowers, ect.
True----even that 12 Valve Cummins. Shell T3 Rotella has zinc but at a low level.
TS I need a Id if possible or where to look for what or #s, 77 F700 weve had for years wore a cam lobe off but im not sure what engine, 361 maybe has a 2 barrel holley intake under valve covers. Any clues or advise thanks
Both used the same cylinder heads, both were 4.050 bore, 391 had a stroke of 3.790 and the 361 had a stroke of 3.500. Both had steel cranks, but the 361 primarily used a full shirt piston and the 391 had a {what's called short slipper style piston skirt}. The cranks are different in looks, the 361 crank is identifiable by what looks like a funny looking hat at the #1 #2 journals looking straight down when crank is vertical, plus a different flange at rear of crank. The 361 was a two barrel, 391 was two and 4 barrel, both had governors. * But removing oil pan, which is the best way to tell without a head removed is to measure stroke. It originally had a tag located under one of the coil strap retaining bolts to identify, but every time someone changes the coil they toss the tag. * Both used the same low lift low duration cam, something like a S620 IIRC.
10/4 thanks
I'm just glad it's not me hefting that monument to cast iron intake manifold.
You got that right
383 short blocked today--be awhile yet before I get heads back. *
^^^^^^^^^^^^^what's that represent? other than poor skill in cartooning. Simpson's, just possibly the worst, unfunny, lousiest ability with pencil to sketch a cartoon figure. Never watched one episode, and I never watched cheers or seinfeld. Simpson's does represent why this patch of land is so **** up, simply because people actually wasted time watching it.
Drooling over the engine...
looks like poor animated barfing.
This one sold on the 14th of last month. * Mopar 1969 383 Rebuilt Engine , Challenger Plymouth, Dodge R/T Cuda Roadrunner | eBay This is a 1969 E 383 casting number 2468130-8 casting date is 11-29-68 pad reads E 383. Install date 12- 7 then a 2 for second shift. vin number is. see pics the pistons are a. that has been cleaned magged and polished. www.ebay.com
I find it interesting, thread started Feb 10th and 10K views. *
I am running a Ford 330 and a Chevy 250 write now and using Rotella oil in them. Should i get some of this additive ?
I would dump a bottle of Rislone in each--O'Reilly's carries it.
TS its a 361 with a code of D4TE-9C485-TB to old for ford to get a # and Napa cant get anymore looking online there some kind of modded cams and I just want stock. Never would have thought it but 50 years is 50 years, back in the 70s you would have known that 1920 would be hard to find parts for that being before my time but being a teenager in the 70s you dont think about that stuff like you would some one wanting a wigglin pin for a 1920 wobblin shaft
Just got off the phone with a outfit out of Nashville and they are ordering me a stock spec cam and lifters, chain gears and gaskets. Internal Engine Parts Nashville TN.
It is a camshaft common to 361's, 391's--for at least a ten year range. And realistically a cam for a plain FE 360 two barrel has a 95% chance it's the same one used in pickups.
And as listed by Melling--same cam all the way through, CL-SYB-23.
I was going to show how to check actual cam timing {index} without using a degree wheel. I looked and found a Uncle Tony's Garage vid showing the exact same thing, and probably better than what I was going to do with just photos. It's a old tried and true Keith Black method that's accurate without going through the time to use a degree wheel. A trick. And he's working on a 383. *
And in that video it's just as Tony states, timing marks are not all that accurate and neither is where key or pin placed in camshaft. Although most cams are dead on. On average a stock replacement timing chain/gear set is very close, most are either 1 degree advanced or retarded which won't effect much. I tend to only use Melling or Summit brand which are made by Melling. And a little note back in the late 70's early 80's the factory plastic cam gears for small and big block chevy were retarded almost 3* which gave good lower end but suffered on top end, it all had to do with emissions. And replacement timing sets were straight up.
Timing sets?
Replacement gears and chain are referred to as a "timing set"
I know that. I was asking if that is what he was referring to, I missed the part of him explaining that in the proceeding sentence. Too many things on my mind.
Plus there are two types of timing sets, Silent-link plate oem type and roller, single and double roller. There is also the center distance which needs to be considered, especially when a block has been line bored. Cloyes does make roller timing sets .005 and .010 shorter over all to compensate for line boring. But most all remanufactured engines don't consider center distance with a reman engine that's been line honed, most have deflection {chain whip} because it's slightly loose. But I have seen in past years chain and gear sets that had a slightly loose chain and never line honed, or slightly tight too. Which changes fairly quickly in the first 100 miles. In most cases for non high performance the indexing and type of chain will make very little difference. Gear drives and expensive belt sets I won't go into--other than gear drives are noisy and mostly it's {people can say I have a gear drive}.
I have only ever used Cloyes double roller timing sets. I never knew about indexing them as laid out in the video that you posted.
As far as valve train geometry staying on track--that's done with pushrod length. And in most cases with self adjusting valve train, found in Fords and Chryslers. It all depends on how much material was removed from decking heads and or cylinder block plus the height of valve stems after rebuilding cylinder heads. Stem heights can be all over the board if rebuilder doesn't take the time. Several factors come into play, new or re-machined valve seats, new or reground valves and whether valve stems are plunge ground to matching stem heights. Which all can change valve spring pressures. Most self adjusting valve trains the lifter has a .150 lash area. Early FE Fords were .200 then changed to .150 somewhere in the late 60's. But all this requires the pushrod ball ends and rocker pockets are all in tolerance. A rule of thumb on Ford sled type self adjusting rockers found in several engines 302, 351, 400 and so on-is when tightening rocker center bolt and attention is paid when zero lash is achieved that the bolt is only a half turn to tight on rocker fulcrum. If not pushrods length needs to be changed or Mr. Gasket makes a shim pack of various thickness to compensate. Rail type/shaft type if careful when tightening can be done the same way. But most of this shouldn't be a big deal if machine shop bothers to do the correct valve job and mark just how much was milled from heads. All of this makes a difference on just how much vacuum the engine will produce and just how smooth it runs even with a higher performance cam.
Cloyes and Melling are on the same par, both good parts companies.
And in 95% of stock engines it really isn't necessary.
Block cylinder decks, unless there is a issue with a pitted surface, erosion on a street engine it really is advisable to just use a long board for body panels and sand it with 120 then some 220 to clean it. Keep the distortion to minimum. If decking heads and block--if .010 is removed from both surfaces it just might have a sealing issue with intake manifold, and certainly will at .030.
I have a 1989 454 on a stand that I pulled out of a 1989 class a motorhome. Is there any significant difference than one that came in a pickup of that era? Mark IV TBI.
Most of it will be in the cylinder heads, small/peanut port heads. Best thing to do is remove a valve cover and check casting #. Basic truck 454.
I cant remember but a buddy told me he degree every cam I cant remember so much advanced I think? I did it to the next one of mine and could tell a difference so I talked to him last night I wish I would have thought to ask.
It does have peanut port heads, they appear to have the same ports as my '89 c3500, I don't think that I compared them by numbers though. I only asked because "people" advertise engines as R.V. engines like it is a big plus.
RV-other than it could have a four bolt main {rv} doesn't factor much.
Oil pan & pickup tube finally arrived, now to wait for cylinder heads. Maybe end of next week on those. *
Both 1961's, one of my favorites the Starliner. Note steering wheel. *
I have to ask, what is the blue engine?
I'm not sure of the model shown but it was originally a Slant-six Dodge or Plymouth. I had one for a short time until brother used my car to take out the rear axle of a tractor trailer. He survived just fine but I never saw the car again! Slant Six Chrysler Engine: A Storied History The Chrysler Slant Six was one of the most reliable, longest produced engines ever. It was also a victim of the times, and died a sad death. www.enginelabs.com
Like kshansen says--it's a Chrysler 225 slant. Extremely reliable engine in it's day.
We found something wrong with the Hall. We have Newsy too.
Neway. It worked well and my helper turned it in to a power drive.
Spent too many hours on the cylinder head bench plus seat/guide machine. One just like this Peterson #26 pictured below. Installed too many guides and valve seats, too many hours standing in one spot, cylinder head after cylinder head. Really hard on legs and lower back. Induction hardened seats are only .007 deep into actual seat. cut or grind very little and it's junk. I never bothered just bored for stellite seats and full guides, thin bronze guides make for 20,000 mile heads. *
Also ran --Van Norman manual 448 crank grinder, along with allot of Sunnen and Winona/Quick Way. *
1955 Santa Ana--Tommy Ivo in far T Bucket, fuel injected Buick. *
Neway....they are about 10 miles from me. Not many cars in the lot when I drive by, still in business. Ed
I figured you a Michiganite, fact is that's not surprising the business is shrinking. The whole automotive machine trade is shrinking has been each year. The money is in cylinder head work with major expense involved owning Rottler equipment. As far as automotive the cars and small trucks gas or diesel will last long enough by the time it's on it's last legs no one will bother to rebuild. There is no money in a mom/pop shop when boring blocks or turning cranks- time consuming. And some of the multi-valve auto heads are a very time consuming pain in the ***. Old valve grinding equipment is laying everywhere, most worn out crap. And in most cases a head needs everything not just a touch up. It's a throw away society for the fact people don't want dated cars for a daily driver, a vehicle more than 5 years old is a antique to 80% of the public. And owning a 95K Quad Cab long box King Ranch is a fashion statement in their town, driving a 95 Buick isn't.
When I went to votec I got to OJT at a auto machine shop . It was a good deal I cleaned alot of parts but also learned to run every thing they had. I had forgot but I have a valve grinder. Its in a van box I am getting ready to clean out.
And a correction--Valvoline makes VR1 oil with 2 times more zinc. Walmart sells a 5qt jug for $26,60. *
Priming oil system--There is no need to use a drill motor to power the priming tool. I see people doing this in Youtube videos regularly, totally unnecessary. As matter of fact if a high volume pump has been installed that's also high pressure the cold oil will hit 70 psi using a drill. It can and has caused oil filters to separate where outer filter can is crimped to base. It's betting the pressure relief will dump but that doesn't always happen. I have known several through the years that have used a drill only to ruin a filter. And partly because they didn't rotate the crank while priming--it's quite similar to dead heading a hydraulic system. I have only used a rachet on a extension to turn pump using one finger to spin 360*. It will build an easy 10 to 15 psi doing it that way and stopping every little bit to turn crank. It will push all the air out of lifters all the way to rockers, plus fill crank/cam with plenty of oil. I just made my own priming tools using old drives or distributors by having the drive teeth turned down. Removes startup worries. *
1965 Buick Riviera Grand Sport, 425 cu.in. 2 four barrels. Early Rivieras were first to begin hidden headlights for 60's. *
Hillborn injected slant six. *
What's that pump looking thing on the end of the crank?
Fuel pump, probably a Enderle.
Aren't you supposed to be drawing stuff? LOL
Developed slight shake in hands that comes & go's--so it makes for lousy art work with pen. But I do what I want when I want and right now it's classic V-8's-a favorite of mine. **** on that yellow iron.
Well, Van Gogh's paintings looked like a 6-year-old painted them. I'm thinking your drawings could be worth MILLIONS!
Besides this 383 I'm rebuilding will be a actual numbers matching engine {reusing original internals, not many of those left around}. I'll sell it and net $2,700 on $2,800 invested.
All 1963's. *
Right now I have lots that are custom printed on each separate sheet on a rolls of toilet paper. I wiped my *** on a whole lot of Peterbilt's this morning. Yeah worth millions. * I forgot--each one has a 2 stroke also.
Here, here's an oldie from 1988, and it fits this thread. *
Model A?
Five window.
One I never finished. *
And one I finish. *
Very impressive. 2x
Thing is you could put the tailgate down and still get three sheets of plywood in the back, and with a dual 4 barrel 396 still have a drag race on the way home from lumber yard. Because there still were lumber yards back then too.
Speaking wagons--Years ago in the early 70's I spent allot of Friday nights at Renegade Raceway in Yakima. Cal Method was one I remember well, saw him run there several times. I think he still competes after 50 years of it. *
I like the older cars better, especially funny cars. They each had their own personality. Now they are all pretty much the same except for slight differences in the front grill. Toyota hemi funny car doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah not too exciting. In those days many liked to use a station wagon for the fact of added weight for traction, plus they gave them away.
Wouldn't be complete without photos of Don Ruckman's {Sonic Muffin, national record holder for almost 8 years}. It could and had run in it's last years high 11's. I raced against it at S.I.R. in 1979. It was a car for the women in the stands, the bug that could. *
Music score by Lalo Schifrin set the mood, and marked the beginning of the chase scene.
Ferrari 1969, 312P, readying for 24 hour of Le Mans. *
Just need a Porsche 917 to add to the mix. What I found interesting is the fastest and highest HP 917 was the 917-30 for Can Am racing with an open cockpit. Turbo could be turned up to 1580 HP for qualifying. Usually raced at around 1100 HP. Big block Chevy's in Mclaren's couldn't compete. Mark Donahue said he wouldn't have enough HP until he could spin the tires in every gear. I think they were only a 4 speed if I recall but 1st gear went about 100 MPH. Sadly Can Am racing died shortly after the 917-30's came out. There was no limit on engine size! Originally Porsche was going to design a 16 cylinder but it was a little too big. That would have been insane!! Jerry Seinfeld turned down $25,000,000.00 for a 917 and I think it might have been the one Steve McQueen drove. All the Le Man's cars were super cool.
Can Am and group B rally were crazy race series. Smokey is my favorite car builder to read upon, simple genius that found loopholes in the rule book.
I liked the fact he called the Corvette a {manure spreader} to engineering brass at GM.
1963/64 330 GT Ferrari, everything they sculpted looked like it was doing 200 setting still. *
98% complete, built a wood shipping platform it will be bolted to so can ship anywhere. I'll cover it in cell wrap to ship, just waiting on air cleaner for it. *
1967 GTX-almost bought a nice used one with a 440. *
1968 GTX. *
1971 Barracuda, what that engine I rebuilt above came out of. *
Nice car but the wrong colour. LoL. Always liked the Barracuda and Challengers from that era. I thought they were much better looking than the Charger. The GTX looked mean with the dual hood scoops. I think it was 69 when they were bigger. They did one on Graveyard Cars. Chrysler seemed to be the leader in muscle car wars as they had several cars that could be equipped with killer engines like the 440-6 pack and Hemi.
That's a nice color, 1968 Road Runner green. Nicer people drove Chrysler muscle, ego's drove the rest.
Back in mid 1990's I saw a GTX with hemi on side scoops parked on a street, what a mean looking yet subtle car. It was the first Hemi I saw in person. What are you thinking of putting in the truck when the 383 sells?
Nothing, I decided against it, too old don't need it, not in this economy. It's hard to fry or cook and make tasty, not edible.
Fair enough, other ways to spend time.
A original 1965 Plymouth Fury III with 426 Wedge and factory 4 speed. A real ex moonshiner car. *
1967 Coronet-W023 Hemi with 4 speed and Dana 60 rear axle, this is only 1 of 15 built with 4 speed that year with a total production of 349. Built Feb 12th 1967. All built in the same day. *
The thing about Chrysler, Dodge & Plymouth--if you wanted any car they had only with a Hemi, they would build and sell it to you.
MOPAR = mostly odd parts and rust CHEVROLET = cracked head each valve rattles oil leaks every time FORD backwards = driver returns on foot .
Curious if the green had a unique name like some of the other special colours like plum crazy/in violet. I was never a fan of green but my grandfather's last 2 cars were green. Was reading an article about Richard Carpenter of the Carpenters. He was/is an avid car collector with a few cars and ordered a new Cuda or Challenger around 70/71 with most of the options but is kicking himself for not spending the extra money to get a Hemi. I think a Hemi was $700 or $800 extra. He got a 440-6 pack instead I believe. I can't remember if it was a convertable but might have been. A mint Hemi convertable could be worth 7 figures but his car is still worth a pretty penny and certainly no slouch.
Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Engine Ticks
Ford = Found On Road Dead.
Goodwood Festival is on the bucket list. Cool machines from all periods.
That would be a great sleeper if some kid pulled up beside and figured he'd smoke the unassuming old truck. Maybe the forerunner of the Little Red Express Truck which was faster than all the so called muscle cars of the same year.
Uh--that was in 1978 and statistics for engines were pretty sad for every vehicle manufacture. It was 0-100 in almost 20 seconds, those were powered by 225 hp 360 LA engines. Even the 440 was pruned to 225 hp and a puny 320 ft lbs torque. Nobody had anything to brag about. That green 1970 above with a Commando 440 had 375 hp and 480 ft lbs torque, but even the standard 4 barrel 440 for 1970 had 350 hp and 480 torque. By 1980 the 360 was tuned to 255 hp @ 4,400, 318's were rated at 190 and by 1984 125 hp. There were no hp monsters. A 454 standard issue in 1973 was cut to 245 hp. The only reason the Express was capable of a sleepy 20 second pass at 100 mph was weight and rear axle ratio. All ratios were sky high gearing in most cars with nothing lower than 3.08, most were hovering in the 2.70 range.
Fords experimental 400 from 335 family. It was considered a 5 stroke because of pre-chamber and water injection cycle. Exhaust port was in intake manifold and exited at rear for a single or dual turbo charger. Only a X amount were built all scrapped but a few were saved. Changing energy tides killed it. *
I saw an article about the Little Red Express Truck a couple weeks ago where it said it was the fastest vehicle that year which isn't saying much. I get a kick out of guys showing off doing burnouts in pickup trucks thinking they have so much power. A clapped out 6 cylinder running on 4 cylinders could spin the tires in an empty pickup truck. There's not much weight on the back wheels. An 8' box makes it even easier.
My wife's uncle has a original 1960's Chevy pick up, I'll get pictures. It turns alot of heads, so rare to see a truck that hasn't been modified. It has been repainted, has a straight 6 with 3 on the tree if I remember correctly.
I did a burnout the other day with my big blocked 75k10 with a full 220 gallon galvanized water tank in the 6' bed.
The Corvettes of that era were particularly sad. That Ford experimental engine, I had no idea. Thanks for posting that up.
I've never liked a vette, ugly *** car. * The fact is GM, Ford & Chrysler all had hidden experimental secret shops building that type of stuff post war. Most came about because of high performance ideas. Yellow, Tan ,Green engines don't really have much appeal--very old hat.
Chrysler is responsible for--alternator, electric wipers, power brakes, true automatic transmission, hemispherical combustion chamber, electronic ignition-standard. Ford and GM both tried to buy the rights to the Torqueflite transmission design.
the engine I daydreamed about was the aluminum Can Am 494 from Ford. I can find little info on it anymore, but what I recall was about 60 units total. Scavenged dry sump, DOHC, all aluminum. My daydreaming had it in one of those early Cougar or Mustang convertibles. Totally an implausible dream but that is why we dream. In the Cougar it was the sequential turn signals that got me. It had to be red too. Reddit post with some pictures of parts 69 Mustang with one of them.
Top photo--five of the rarest HP Fords ever built.
Chryslers 1965 Doomsday Day devise, 426 Hemi OHC, never made production because of whiners in Nascar. *
liking this thread. We can dream about these other engines, but you have, and we COULD have, that $454 Those other engines take more $$ and some parts are unobtanium.
At the standpoint of a hobby yes, and many engines posted are very unique. But interestingly many ideas were used later in modern everyday vehicles. I built a 318 using a 1985 first year factory roller cam block, by having cam reprofiled for more duration & slightly more lift, slightly porting intake runners in heads, installing a aluminum 4V intake using a AFB that I tuned for 525 cfm. And installing a rather spendy ready to run distributor with proper advance curve with mandrel bent dual exhaust it went from 11 to 18 mpg. That with running a carb. * It's not hard to dump $2,200 in just a set of aluminum heads, but if a person was to price the the oem replacement in their daily driver--real shock would set in.
Too bad there wasn't another race series like Can-Am where anything goes as far as engines. It would have been great to see what all these rare and experimental engines could do. We can only speculate at this point. Some may have blown up in any kind of endurance race or even the 1/4 mile. Lots of cool engines though.
I put a new Carter on my 302 build for the Mustang in 1981. I remember that carburetor was absolutely plug and play for me. I had tall gears and it would just roll throttle off idle with no bog or hesitation.
See one thing many don't realize when comes to HP parts in a daily driver, most aluminum aftermarket have no port for exhaust/intake crossover heat. In cool temps it turns the venturis into a snow cone very quickly. Not a good choice for year round use. *
The AFB/AVS is just probably the simplest 4 barrel for street and mild drag there is. Easy to tune, but what is usually missed with any carb is what cfm is actually needed for street use by cu.in & rpm level. Most any for mild street in the 5L range only need 500 cfm. At 6000 rpm 302 cu.in. for street about 450 cfm. * CFM Calculator Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply. www.summitracing.com
I think it was the 440-6 pack that had 1350 CFM from the 3 carbs. The most of any muscle car.
The OEM vs aftermarket I learned that OEM is way more forgiving and easy to live with at times. I changed suspension parts on a car that was used for rallycross and track day events. Reading online everyone said to replace the flimsy oem swaybar endlinks. I went through 4 sets of aftermarket before going back to OEM. The aftermarket links were aluminum with either spherical bearings or hard rubber at the ends. The bearings would pull apart on the track or rust, and the rubber ones would separate. OEM would just take the pounding, and last longer. Similar for aftermarket brake calipers that don't always have proper dust shields etc. Makes sense for CFM vs engine size. A bit of logic can save money and hard times.
Technology Advances! My Dad told he used to work on Ford's with the flat head V8 with the ignition mounted on the front of the engine. He said it was a real pain replacing the points and condenser in them.
That guy in that photo above, the one standing to the left, the one with the beady little eyes. One of the biggest ******** in industry to ever walk the planet. Now back to what ever.
Who is he?
Flathead V-8-ok for it's time, was a engine kept in production too long. Very hard to find any {any} left today that are not cracked, those blocks were very susceptible to cracking for many reasons. Three main journals, a very weak bottom end. As far as putting points in one, those were early models until dizzy was moved. * Machine shop I just used to have heads rebuilt, had three FHV8 blocks they were trying to salvage for some street rod engine-for maybe 100 hp. They finally talked the customer into using a nail head buick for nostalgia.
Henry the butt-head Ford.
And that is true, the center carb was 350 cfm and front/rear 500 cfm. But the reality is it only adds up to what ever inches of water measure @ 1.5 drop which actual that could be stated as usable cfm was around 1030. Dual 4 barrels were around 1250 cfm but @1.5 drop in inches water only capable of about 950 to 1000 cfm. Plus the six pack ran on center carb most of the time with progressive on the other two carbs. The other two actually opened on vacuum and at different rates, both didn't open all at once, a split second apart.
I heard the 6 pack was hard to tune and adjust. The 69 charger 440 only gained from 375 to 390 HP when upping to the 6 pack. Marginal when you consider this is engine HP, not wheel HP.
Yes & no--mostly it was linkage adjustment--if kept lubed with a dry base lube the linkage stayed in adjustment with only minor tweaks. Horse power gains by factory standards in those days were {not to be relied on} for one simple fact, insurance. When horse power jumped over 400 that's when rates took a drastic jump. Hardly anyone dyno tested factory claims in those days. There were many versions of engines in 426 to 440 range that for some mysterious reason never broke the 400 horse power line in the sand, but ran way too good.
Plus--camshafts, little known fact about the Chrysler {purple} camshaft. Chrysler made about 7 different grinds all dubbed the purple camshaft. Ford had several for FE's the most popular was the solid {Green Stripe} used in the 427. And Chevy had countless cams. And conveniently all not listed but came with different complete car options. Mom and dad were not going to pay twice as much insurance on the kids car over the family sedan.
The 400hp sounds like the 280HP limit in Japan,where every sports car magically stopped.
Remember the Dodge {Demon 340}? Religious groups raised enough hell over that name and the smiling devil with a pitchfork Dodge dropped the name after 1972. Name was changed to Dart Sport. *
Insurance rates were a big reason why more Hemi's and other high HP engines weren't ordered in cars. The Hemi was quite a bit more money too. The insurance companies weren't that stupid. 425 HP seemed to be the most that was advertised from any brand. Most in the know equated it to 500 HP or more whether it was a Hemi or 427 side oiler, etc. Would have been interesting if a slightly detuned aluminum big block Chevy similar to a McClaren Can-Am engine were put in a street legal muscle car. I think they were 500 cu. inches. Nascar has to take a lot of blame for not allowing several revolutionary engines to be run in their races. It seems like they allowed the Hemi but didn't allow some other engines that might have been better/faster than the Hemi. That the engines had to be put in 500 road vehicles is a bit if a joke because the Nascar engines weren't bone stock.
Henry Ford II was even worse. Harry Ferguson should have got a lot more than $10 million in his settlement. It was pocket change considering Ford sold over 500,000 8N tractors. They were copies of the Ferguson tractor and some parts like the hydraulic pump were exact copies. Might have even came from the same supplier if I recall. Ford II was also threatened by Lee Iacocca and butted heads with him. Lee Iacocca knew the industry and what people wanted. He was pushed out and saved Chrysler. He gets kudos for paying the gov't. back in full earlier than expected.
Side Oiler 427's that have been on the dyno in stock factory form pushed roughly 475 horse power. *
The cammer was apparently 620 HP.
660.
And now to be fair about horse power ratings. There were three basic versions of side oiler 427. Low Riser, Medium Riser and High Riser, all used different/variations in cylinder heads, intakes, cams & compression ratios all using 427 Le Mans rods. But the early 1964 427 low riser was a safe bet at 425 horse power. The 427 in the photo above is a Medium Rise engine detailed by intake manifold, and it more than likely produced 475. Like so many of engines produced in Detroit in those years, the variations were many. But the 427 was built to maintain 7,000 rpm under a constant mashing of the right pedal.
I think the full race 427 in a Cobra put out 485 HP.
Yep
Yes--but remember that was in race form, not street, not normal. And again most figures of actual horse power advertised--is slanted.
And slanted as in 1971 and down HP was figured SAE on a test stand with no air cleaner or exhaust system figured on the gross. Cu.in. X weight X 1/4 mile gives a better idea of horse power over ET. Now it's figured by torque times max speed divided by 5252.
Manageable and throttle response are important in road racing. The most successful 917 was detuned to be more drivable at the limit. Turbo world is quite different to NA too for power delivery.
That makes me chuckle--The 427 Cobra was about as much of a monster on the coarse as anything ever. I've been in and driven one, tough fit for my height, squirrely doesn't describe it. *
Still manageable pending on how the engine has been built, and suspension is setup. Manageable can still include squirrelly. Been in one, been in M3's that was also nervous around the track.
I would like to witness a road coarse car with Jato assist bottle, it should be manageable. If not need another driver.
Dick Smith who was probably the most successful Cobra racer said you steered the car with the throttle. There's a video online of a woman taking a Cobra replica for a drive for the first time and crashing it spectacularly. She hit the throttle too heavy and couldn't get it back under control. Swerved across the road and ran into a building or parked car I think. Might have been a service station. Good thing nobody was coming the other way. I bet the car owner wanted to kill her. Mark Donahue raced the 917-30 which was the fastest/highest HP version. For qualifying on some tracks he would turn the boost up to max at 1580 HP but to race dialed it back to around 1100 HP. He set a speed record at Talledaga and probably could have gone even faster but it was about to rain so he only got a couple laps in. 917-10's were fast in their own right but couldn't quite compete as they were only about 900 HP. McClaren dominated Can-Am racing in the late 60's until the 917's, especially the 917-30 came on the scene. Some say the 917-30 is what ended Can-Am racing. McClaren went to Formula 1. The purple 917-30's were unmistakeable but cool looking cars. Air cooled to boot. There's a video of some guys getting a 917 started after it had sat for 20 years or so that makes me cringe. They are spraying pretty generous amounts of starting fluid in it.
Exactly, the 917 and other cars would at time get dialed back for the race. Engines with a broad power range are easier to manage. Either way, good discussion, lots of fun to read.
A friend I went to school with worked for Bayside Racing Seattle/Redmond. At that time Arie Luyendyk was their top driver. Don't remember all the particulars Scott told me but Arie put one into the wall rather hard, Bruce the owner was dismayed at his mashed up Porsche, and took it out on Arie. Arie gave him the finger and said IIRC by Scott-------- {build a car that handles- not just fast} and walked off. Scott said Arie was a great driver and was correct about that car because another complained also.
The driver has a lot to do with it. Mark Donahue was an amazing driver for Penske. Came out of retirement to test a car for F1 and got killed when a front tire blew out at over 200 MPH. 10 year lawsuit his wife was awarded $10,000,000 settlement from Goodyear. Some said the lawsuit shouldn't have been filed. Even in motocross I'm amazed at how most of the pro's know exactly what needs to be changed with their suspension for different tracks. There are compression and rebound adjustments for the forks and the shock. I couldn't tell the difference a few clicks one way or the other makes. They say if you want to do any modifications to a new bike the best thing is to spend the money getting the suspension dialed in for your riding style. Aftermarket pipe and muffler won't make a difference if your suspension isn't dialed in. Looks fancy but mostly a waste of money unless your a pretty fast rider. The bikes come really good from the factory.
On stock suspension, no you can't tell much difference. On aftermarket stuff you sure can. I revalved dozens of sets of forks and shocks with Race Tech stuff for both roadracing and dirt applications.
I know a M/C mechanic that races and says Race Tech isn't that great and after a short course anybody can be become a Race Tech suspension specialist. Some know what they're doing but others don't. There's another track owner that took the Race Tech course and thinks he's a suspension expert but doesn't know squat. The people at that track are so arrogant a rider came to my track and said he'd never go back there. He was talking to another rider who did some suspension work and the guy said he could take a look. The track owners girlfriend at the time happened to be walking past and told them you can't be talking about suspension here. If you need any suspension work you have to talk to Frank. ***! Two guys parked can talk about what ever they want. She was a real piece of work and the guys mom is just about as bad. Yells at little kids even if they go off the path and ride on the grass coming off the track. It doesn't hurt a damn thing.
Not go too far off course--I had Traxxion suspension on my last wing, it turned it from a ill handling slow sled into a fast handling sled. Completely different. * Back to old gas cars for street.
Don't have a good representation photo of any of my 1966's, this one is close to one of the GTA's. The top photo was another GTA I used as a daily driver, wheels were off being cleaned at the time. *
Sweet ride…
Now my next job is, if I decide to accept it. Build engine mounts cradle or no cradle for a B/RB Chrysler/Dodge 383/400/440's for demolition derby car. The guy I got the 383 from has 9 different B/RB engines complete. Because demolition cars have become popular with huge payouts, some in the 30K range it's attracted lots of interest, which in turn has put a scarcity in small block chevy engines. People are now buying new Dart blocks or short blocks $$$$. He had a 440 he ran for a year before it broke the engine mounting tabs from sides of block. He liked it because of the bottom end torque it produced over the sbc. But no one runs them because of the mount tabs break, and a cradle is available for sbc. Plus he likes to run Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth bodies because those will take a hit. Most are running 2000 vintage Ford Victoria's. So he's stripping a 440 down to a short block today so if I decide to help him in his hill-billy fun I have a block to build from.
Was just reading that the 1956 Chrysler 300B with a 345 cu. inch Hemi was the first engine to make 1 HP per cu. inch if ordered with the optional high compression heads, 355 HP. Std. HP was 340. It is one of the cars Richard Carpenter owns. That would be pretty quick for 1956.
SAE horse power rating--tested with no accessories so it really put out 280 or so. But for those days it was some.
It can be hard to know the real numbers when talking about HP ratings. Seems like the manufacturers skew the numbers to suit a particular agenda either to try and trick the insurance companies or just to be higher than the other guy. Insurance companies aren't dumb when it comes to crotch rockets either. Insurance for a Gold Wing is probably much better than for a Hayabusa.
Engines in those days were tested stripped of anything that created parasitic loss. Oil bath air cleaners work well but restrict air flow at rpm. Engines were tested minus exhaust system or if available power steering only thing left on was coolant pump.
I think the best way to compare/list HP would be by measuring rear wheel HP. I recall that's how Mack rated their engines and why the 237 made decent enough power. Had high torque rise too. Have heard it's bad to over rev. them. I think that's how a former neighbor might have shortened the life of 1 or 2 of them.
No hubcaps? Or did they keep them inside so kids wouldn't swipe them?
Haven't sold yet, cars were not always readied and needed predelivery done. Caps in trunk.
No knowledge on your experiences here but really enjoy the read! A lot of experience & knowledge here. Appreciate the vast experience of the forum… My two ‘sports’. Cars were a 1983 & 1989 Mazda rx7. Not super powerful but redlined (from factory) 7000. Handling was nice. The 1983 we bought in Palm Springs so had no rust. Tore down the 1989 and had one rotor as a paperweight until went missing. It was a nice piece of machining!
1954 with twin cam hemi and independent front. *
Many never knew the 340 Six Pack was rated at 375 horse power. A true *** kicker. *
Saw where there was a rare Chrysler 331 marine Hemi for sale. That was the first Hemi engine according to the listing.
Red Ram.
Well--I'm now in the process of this 440 for a Demo-Car. A little on the rough side it is, out of a 1977 motorhome. The crank is good, deck is good, bores are fair, everything is standard. Heads had some work at one point. Building it nice and loose, just re-ring kit with bearings, H-P camshaft/lifter kit, timing components, HV-Std Pres oil pump. Building as cheap as possible, about $700. Will also have header stacks and volume carb & intake. Painted cast iron gray with purple cylinder heads. lol. Will be the only big block Chrysler in derby's, everyone runs small bock chevy.
After this one a possible Chrysler 360 LA series for a Demo thrasher. I don't care I get paid and there built to be abused so zero worries, just have to fire, produce HP & torque for about ten derby's. Main thing is building with high tolerance to take the heat, because that's a demo engines biggest enemy. RPM isn't usually a issue, most only see 5000. * And still have a small block chevy demo to do at some point. Good thing is these guys burn good gas, VP or H&H.
Rare 1969 RAIV Firebird. *
1955 Studebaker President. *
yikes that bumper is a pedestrian's nitemare! Gives " mow em down" a new meaning. Love that little DOHC hemi with the upper hose through the timing window. That is a unique head casting.
I had a 1970 340 Challenger with the 4bbl Carter. It was lively, able to go much faster than it steered or braked. It was a bad choice for a 16 year old's second car and I was persuaded by the folks to get rid of it and drive dad's '66 Mustang with the 200 6 and 3 speed.
Friend had 340 six pack in a Duster, never had any engine/drivetrain issues in the 9 years he owned it. Funny thing was if using a light foot on center two barrel it got 17 mpg, and dropped to 4 mpg at a full mashing of pedal.
3.3K reactions · 96 comments | 1 Hour Rebuild In 1 Minute #nitrofunnycar #nhra #chadgreen #topfuel . Follow @chadgreenmotorsports For More! . ‼️SAVE 10% using code “CGM” at Boxousa.com‼️ The Official Tool Supplier for Chad Green Motorsports @boxou 1 Hour Rebuild In 1 Minute #nitrofunnycar #nhra #chadgreen #topfuel . Follow @chadgreenmotorsports For More! . ‼️SAVE 10% using code “CGM” at Boxousa.com‼️ The Official Tool Supplier for Chad... www.facebook.com
My first employer had a 1955 Studebaker Commander, like below. Ran like a top. *
that was serious styling. Love it or hate it, that car has it together.
All by this man. * Raymond Loewy - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
My first year in the ‘bush;1989’ a colleague of mine said let’s go into Williams lake for a movie.. No idea the engine in his Chevelle but the winding roads out of Horsefly were quite terrifying! We saw the movie & made it back to camp. Never forgot that ride… Must say, at that young age he was a very skilled driver!
Finished the modifying of engine mounts on the 440 RB block. Was able to use original spool type mount adding some structure at bottom to run two 3/8" bolts through side of block, which will stop the twisting of mount. Simple and adds 80% more strength. Block is prepped along with pistons/rods, heads and crank. Waiting on parts. Get a photo of mounts for Thursday.
I won't discuss my driving skills at a young age, except for the fact I did some really crazy ****.
Some young drivers actually have some big skills….
Yes, mostly developed because they haven't experienced full traction in a hospital setting.
Lost traction equals full traction in a different setting.
I can remember every time I have been azz-to-ditch. First time my license was still wet and I got the 510 Datsun all the way round in gravel in a failed attempt at drifting. My legs were shaking so much I could not manage the clutch for a minute. Next time it was that 340 Challenger. I had it up above the handling stability speed, way too fast, and I changed lanes and it tripped on the crown of I-82 just south of N 1st southbound. Next thing I know, I am clipping those rugosa roses in the median with the left corner. I over correct and around I go. Nothing like hauling ass still, completely backwards. I came to a stop at a bridge guardrail doing about naught .5 MPH. Dent in the rear valance about the size of a softball. Last time I was finally an an adult skilled driver and black ice on a bridge. Every time I was damn lucky.
1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk, supercharged 289. *
Ok---mounts I reworked on a 440 Dodge. The issue with big block dodges used in demo derby is the three mounting bosses near upper block will break/crack leaving nothing supporting engine. Those break from fore & aft impact because the actual rubber isolator mount that fits in Oblong hole is low and has leverage against the upper three bolts. So by just reworking mount with added plate to block using two 3/8" bolts added about 80% more strength. Nobody has bothered to do a mount refit, so I guess this is the first time doing it this way. *
Why not drill & tap the block, instead of the nuts?
Not enough meat I suppose. If it is not a thickened boss it won't hold up to much. Nice fix, @Truck Shop
My Dad started restoring his Studebaker before he died but didn't get it done. It has problems . I have some much going on and so many prodjects . I am not sure what will happen to it.
As Skyking noted---The block is slightly less than .500 thickness above pan rail. Threads in cast iron are not all that great. Studs or bolts is a stronger finish--Plus these mounts can be moved to another block without too much trouble. In the Arena/Stadium where they hold these derby's--this 440 with stacks will have a very discernable exhaust note over the small block chevs. * But the mount area on block is not meant to control a hit from the side, that's not what breaks blocks, it's straight on impacts. The bolts are to control the bottom of mount shifting to rear.
1.7M views · 11K reactions | On June 11, 1955 the "Le Mans Disaster" occurred during the 24 Hours of Le Mans motor race at Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans, France. Large pieces of... | By Davenport Sports Network | Facebook On June 11, 1955 the "Le Mans Disaster" occurred during the 24 Hours of Le Mans motor race at Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans, France. Large pieces of... www.facebook.com
I've watched that accident before.
In racing there are no accidents all are wrecks, some controlled some not.
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Hydrofoil/Submarine , very rare. *
Not sure why I worded it that way...
Another rare one, only 51 built. 1948 Tucker “The Tucker Torpedo The Car of Tomorrow” The "Tucker Torpedo" Tucker 48 In this Automotive History, we are featuring the Tucker 48! Envisioned by Preston Tucker of Ypsilanti, Michigan, the Tucker 48 was a vehicle decades ahead of its time. It is widely regarded as the pioneer of many automotive features that are still seen on roads today. www.autoappraisal.com
I did some work for a collector that a Tucker in the stable along with a Stutz. He had a 1917 Oldsmobile we were doing engine machine work on.
5.1K reactions · 126 comments | @sirjackiestewart on safety in Formula 1 ————————— #f1 #formula1 | Lucas Stewart @sirjackiestewart on safety in Formula 1 ————————— #f1 #formula1. www.facebook.com
1970 SCJ 429 Cyclone--Mercury didn't produce many. *
Here is an oddity, one of a kind! Introducing the “1958 SIR VIVAL safe car. Created by Walter C. Jerome Walter C. Jerome of Worcester, Massachusetts. Meet SIR VIVAL, the Quirky Safety Car From 1958 - ThrottleXtreme Meet SIR VIVAL, the Quirky Safety Car From 1958 - Sir Vival. You have never seen it’s like before. One that is truly different from anything else on the road. A bold claim, we know, but we'll let you judge www.throttlextreme.com The Survival Of 'Sir Vival,' The Strangest Safety Car Concept Ever, Now Rests in the Hands of the World’s Quirkiest Car Museum - The Autopian Here's how the Lane Motor Museum plans on preserving Sir Vival, the strangest experimental safety car ever made in New England. www.theautopian.com
I watched that vid a few years back. Most of the George Jetson stuff from that era is few and far between like flying car. And really the Chrysler turbine car and Fords turbine truck all gone to the scrap heap of unrealistic ideas. Although Chrysler kept the turbine program alive till 1982. Kenworth & Boeing with their early day trials of turbine ground to a halt rather quickly because it ate to much fuel even for those days. A KW turbine below on Snoqualmie Pass. {note see through grille.} *
Crap--I posted a truck.
Ah, everything is better again. *
You did....
Yes, I had a total lapse of---.
1955 type D Jaguar, won the 24 hours of Lemans in 1956. *
Another rarity, 1 of 1 . The 1948 Buick Streamliner created by Norman E Timbs https://ar.inspiredpencil.com/pictures-2023/1948-timbs-buick-streamliner
That was responsible for many of hotrod lead sleds of the 50's.
A guy I knew that lived in Roslyn Wa. {Northern Exposure film town}, back in 1959 he built a rather wild 1956 Vicky Lead Sled. Frenched head & tail lights, completely unupholstered engine compartment, trunk, that matched interior, door handles leaded over {opened by solenoids}, side pipes with a 3 two barrel 312 and Fordmatic. Louvred hood. Originally painted gold was in the 1962 Worlds Fair Seattle, along side another lead sled from Bremerton. Car below is only a representation not the same car. *
Dedicated people doing what they love to bring their vision to reality!
Nice clean lines…
Here's the story of the Buick. * Originally built by Lore Sharp of Bremerton, the car was featured in Car Craft many times, was feature car at 62 worlds fair. The car sat for years then Lore sold it with signed stipulation that it couldn't be altered. Well the guy who bought it cut the top off to put a Carson Conv top on it, Lore found out and took repossession of the car. It sat for another eight years. Then a guy named Harper who lived in Cle Elum was able to buy the car providing he put it back together with a hard top. And just so happens a body guy I worked with at a shop did the work, two years worth, scrounging for parts. When finished it was painted the original Tahitian Red metal flake, the car was beautiful. It won 1st place in retro Oakland Open Roadster Show, biggest show. Harper sold it and the yoyo who bought it painted it a odd pastel purple. I got to drive it when done for a short trip. *
Love Buicks
Red Rage was the name of that 56 Buick above. What a stock 1956 Buick Skylark looked like Below. *
And the 56 Chevy, Pontiac, Olds & Buick used the same doors. Same with 1955.
One of my favourite Buicks, the 1957 Buick Roadmaster Riviera https://www.hemmings.com/stories/1955-1957-buick-roadmaster/ Buick Models for 1957 1957 Buick Chassis Manual, FREE ONLINE
King of the Four Hole'r Buicks, with a 401 Nail Head. Detroit Iron. A set of real Buick wire wheels from that era are rather expensive.
I never owned a Buick Roadmaster but I did own a 1958 Buick Special with a 401 Nailhead, sadly it was a 4 dr., but a great car all the same. Loved the front grill and all the chrome! The following pics of the Special are the same as the Special that I owned, but they are not from the car I owned. https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/secrets-of-the-buick-nailhead-v8/ https://www.curbsideclassic.com/aut...-the-source-of-its-unusual-valve-arrangement/ https://wikicars.org/en/Buick_V8_engine
Yes the 58---Detroit's monument to chrome. The dash that was the monument to chrome was post war DeSoto's.
The menacing grilles on most mid to late 50's cars seemed-- that should have had Jig Saw as the driver. Would have fit nicely in a 59 Pontiac at the local Dairy Queen. *
Oh look at that---Jig Saw scared everyone.
lol I can see him in this!
The Vault At The Petersen: An Exclusive Inside Look - Speedhunters The Petersen Automotive Museum is undergoing a massive restoration at the moment. The inside has been gutted, the exterior covered in scaffolding and the entrances blockaded. Even the ripped up roads outside are uninviting. You might think there’s nothing to see, but sometimes you just have to... www.speedhunters.com
What a candy shop! Excellent!
And some end up a chicken coop. *
Some weren't worth much more
Just like today's vehicles.
I did some emergency carb repair to one of these this year this model. 1968 Mexico. *
I dont know if i told this before but my Dad drove a 1955 Buick 2 door to collage in the late 50s when he graduated he drove it home and parked it . He had a auction and sold it with his books in the back seat a few years ago . I found the title to it I wish I could figure out who owns it and give them the title . If I really spent some time maybe I can figure it out ?
1948 Talbot Lago. *
Not too hard to tell the above photo is {Pebble Beach Classic car show}. Nothing but high dollar.
A fine & ugly one off, built in 1960 Detroit. The Di-Dia 150 originally powered by a 365 Cadillac engine then changed to a Ford 427 SO. Original owner was Bobby Darin, lives in a museum in Missouri IIRC. George Jetson right down to the hub caps. *
And the curved glass panels were later seen on the Buick Skylark station wagon and the sister car Olds Vista Cruiser.
Olds Vista Cruiser--The family tug boat for wives named Annie--the gator got your granny. *
Jet Age--built from a 1957 Olds Rocket 88, built by a pilot. *
Almost had one of these, 1955 Merc Montclair. *
Slant with a blower. *
An early concept of turbine power. 1952 Socema Gregoire, 25,000 rpm. *
A friend of my dad's bought a new 1972 Oldsmobile Toronado. He very seldom drove it it spent most of its life in a heated garage. He passed away a decade ago and I had no idea what happened to the Oldsmobile. Last week I was visiting an old friend and he said " come and see what my son got me for a father's day present" He took me out to his shop, It was the same 1972 Toronado. It is in amazing condition for 53 years old. I will get some pictures next week and post them. A 455 and front wheel drive. From the internet:
Toronados are always good, it was too bad in 1972 though-those 455's got detuned. A friend has two Toro's, a 66 & 67 both will probably end life as demo derby cars.
An odd fact sort of--Oldsmobile was the test car brand for Cadillac back in the 50's & 60's. At that time if it worked and was liked by the public Cadillac would incorporate in next year design. And the 1966 Toronado was a good example. Cadillac waited then came out in 1967 with the front wheel drive Eldorado.
Unleaded Gas??
Even though I rebuilt a 66 & 67 Toronado's, I liked the nose of the 1968 Toro the best. This Toro puppy produced 385 hp SAE. with 490 lbs torque, also 425 cubic inch last year for the 425. *
Emissions standards, 1972 was the writing on the wall calling for the end of large cubic inch engines with high horse power. Octane ratings took a drop in 72 with the arrival of unlead. 1971 marked the drop in compression across the board from 10.1 to 8.5 for just about every one in Detroit. The standard 455 in 1972 produced on average 310 hp, only a few 442 HO's were built with 365 & 400 hp. In 1973 310 was big pony's.
1966 Toronado 425 below--One cool thing IIRC the 66 & 67 had--was the {slot machine} speedometer, it rolled. *
Toro speedo. *
Funny thing is---I doubt any of you ever drove or rode in a 66, 67, 68 Toro. Plus the 69 & 70 were 400 horse power, then in 1972 the rating dropped to a whopping super powerful {250 Hp out of a 455}. The legs got cut off at the hip. From 1966 to 70 it wasn't hard to light the front tires with a smoke show. 1966 was the first time since 1937 Auburn {Cord} for a U.S. built front wheel drive car. With light throttle in winter a Toronado cruised through ice and snow {one of the best winter cars ever built}. Below is the last year for major horse power 1970 400 HP. 1971 dropped to 350 hp. *
A few that will meet there end in demo derby, two Toronados 66/67, a 64 Chrysler New Yorker, a 65 Chrysler Le Baron, 67 Caddy. And these are only 5 of the twenty some that will meet there're death in gladiator demos. *
Not a bad video--an old racing guy and his memories. *
Ok, another question for you. I have a 1983 c20 hd with a 454, it calls for leaded gas and has the large fuel fill port. Does it have a higher compression?
As far as all 454 specs for 1983 compression is the standard 8.2-1. But I have never seen any engines built in that time period that required leaded gas. I don't even remember a pump with leaded gas at any station at that time. LL100 had to be bought at a local air field. *
Ok, Thank-you.
shoot that old Tornado would be a nice cruiser. Shame to see it trashed. Here is a 69 in great condition in Vancouver. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/richmond-southwest-1969-oldsmobile/7859850851.html
Both of those Toros would cost way more to restore than worth. The right rear quarter, door & front fender have damage on the blue 67, which has no motor/trans. The 66 is a rust bucket. Here's one that doesn't quite add up as restoration with cracked door gaskets, black bumpers and bad upholstery. bogus. * Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com
Olds 442 tri power 4 speed, 1966. *
reminiscent of our '65 F85 only way cooler options.
One below represents my 1964 442 Cutlass convertible, except mine had a white top also. Had it in high school, paid $350.00 for it and straight as a pin. It originally belonged to a doctors wife in Yakima. The 442 came out mid 1964. *
1964. *
1962, 800 hp Turbonique addon turbine rocket engine, it was only slightly problematic and dangerous. You too could be 007. *
Did it drive the axle? Through a torque converter I assume if it did? Looks like a reduction gear case in there.
Look close, it's not tied to anything-strictly thrust. That gear reduction gear case is what's known as a {Quick Change Axle}, ratios could be changed without removing center section.
And rather going through a bunch of explaining--about Quick Change axle. * What is a Quick Change Rear End and How Does It Work Quick change rears have been around since the 1940s and while many are familiar with them, to others they’re a mystery we’ll help explain www.speedwaymotors.com
I've never heard of that but now I understand what I'm looking at with the jet engine pic.
Quick Change was real popular in 50's 60's street rods, gears for street, gears for 1/4 mile track.
Named the {Pilot Ford} built from 1947 to 1951 in the UK. *
Sprint cars have quick change rear ends for different tracks.
Correct, Hildebrand type basically started in open wheel cars in late 40's.
1937 C-15 Chrysler only one built, for Walter Chryslers wife. *
1962 GMC Fenderside, rarest pickup built in the 60's, only six were produced. Powered by 305 V6, GMC crew cabs could be had with a 348 and/or Toroflow diesel. All crew cabs were farmed out to Crown steel & Stageway Coach to be built. No quad cabs in those days only crew cabs. *
1966 SS.
The original Ford Mustang. He mounted part of a P51 on a old Ford chassis. Pilots--you never know what strange they try. *
Only two left out of six built. *
That could have been my wife around 20 years ago setting in that Bird. *
Traveled to La Grande Ore yesterday, came home with a set of crusty 1967 440 915 heads. Those are closed chamber and will raise compression from 8.5 to 10.5, plus those breath well and much sought after. With tariffs aluminum heads are going to get rather expensive so no reason not to buy for price I paid. Plus there was a new #574 high perf camshaft made by Oregon Camshaft I bought for $75. Not a bad haul. * But what was really good was the fact I took the wife's car--only burned a 1/8th of a tank.
Hahahaha, I remember those air shocks. Put a set in a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass and when it got hot out, couldn’t see nothing but trees in the rear view mirror. lol
1964 Ferrari 250 LM.
Started at 5:30 this morning and finished long blocking that 440. But as usual #4 cam bearing decided to be problematic. When installing cam bearings yesterday afternoon # 4 just didn't drive as smooth as it should have, and if there is one that will give a problem it's 98% of the time #4 in a B/RB block. It has three oil feed holes, one main supply & two that feed rockers. But the real issue is when blocks were bored the housing bore for bearing has a slightly off- set chamfer so getting a straight drive isn't easy. But I got out my favorite cam bearing tool, a bearing knife for old babbitt poured bearings, and shaved the high spots out.
What's interesting is horse power figures of the three. The 454 should have killed them but not. And the Plymouth at 10.5 compression compared to 11.1--11.3.
1964 Thunderbolt, a very fast car. *
Something not seen much at all or known about. 1965 Studebaker Daytona, came factory with Chevy 283 and GM automatic. It was impounded at friends towing biz, stolen along with a few other cars. The valve covers are unique to these Daytona models. It was a snappy car even with a two barrel--these bodies were light. Less than 1700 produced. *
Brother had one of these 57 Ranch Wagons in high school, that was in 1966. Which landed him time wise in VN in 67. *
I had a 57 ranch wagon in High school in 1967, it was two tone salmon & white color, 272 v8, My Dad sold it to the native’s while I was doing my HD apprenticeship on Vancouver Island ( No Roads) fly in Camp In 1970, I think he got $100 bucks for it lol. I also had a 300amp Hobart welder with a 6 cyl olds flat head , that he sold also, guess he figured I didn’t need them, never seen the money. Cheers
Friend with the towing company called me and asked me to meet him at his shop, he had a car he wanted me to look at. So I did, and when I got there Johnny law was there too. Mike officer so & so wants to know the value on a off the cuff appraisal, I told him you would come as close as anyone. So I did a walk around {Nice Car}. Because it's a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland and a 4 speed car {With functional factory Ram Air} even with a few small scratches and perfect interior--How does $40,000 to $42,000 grab you?}---STOLEN. Plus they were going back for the other two Mustangs that had to have a search warrant before they lifted the tarps covering them. They showed me a photo of one, and the outline looked to be a 1969-70 fastback possibly another Mach 1. Over two hundred cars and pickups hidden in the trees in the foot hills of the Blue Mountains. *
And the other still covered by tarp, third car back. *
Tomorrow will be a fun day!
Well they sent me a photo--it's a 72 also, they think it has a Cleveland. But it's a standard fastback, didn't tell me if manual or auto, probably auto. I'll look at it this morning. *
Apparently there is a 50's/60's Mack amongst the trees, I might drive to look at.
This is going to get Interesting, please continue to keep us posted.
It’s not that much muscle but it is the first rear engine/rear wheel drive “Mini Van” The 1938 Stout Scarab 1936 Stout Scarab - First and Pretty Cool Minivan - ThrottleXtreme According to automotive historians, the 1936 Stout Scarab was the first production minivan. In the 1930s, many of America’s most prestigious cars www.throttlextreme.com https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1936-stout-scarab.htm
Nothing there to look at--just move along folks move along. I looked it's a @DMiller special, 59 or so IH 190 oinker. But there must be 30 some dimple side 68 to 72 Ford Pickups. Two wheel drive and 4x4 highboys. But Most is not interesting, at least to me. The Blue Mach 1 belonged to a old guy that lived down the road that passed away in Feb. He had several interesting things--One is a iron wheeled tractor I've never seen before and don't remember the brand. But this old guy had no relatives or children--so the mustangs are tied up with a bank. More than likely go to highest bidder at auction.
I was 19 years old in 1979 when I found a '71 Mach 1 with the four speed and a 4 bbl Cleveland on the lot. My parents co-signed. $90/month plus insurance coming outta my budget. I gotta say, it was tight gettin' by....Less than 2 years later it died in a wreck I did not create. Sold it for $150 less than I paid. I would do it again in a New York minute. Saw a similar rig on Fakebook the other day with an asking price of $45k
This Mach 1 would more than likely fetch 48 to 50 thousand if before it was stolen, any body shop will quote it high because of what it is. So 40K it is. The story about this mess continues to gain in size. The green one has a two barrel Cleveland and auto on the floor, it has less than 45K original miles. It's going to be interesting on how it plays out.
32 Ford three window Deuce, first affordable car with a V8, changed ideas of classic body design. Most sought after since 1932. *
The iron wheeled tractor I mentioned earlier in post #628 is I believe a 1912 vintage 20-40 CASE. Apparently not very many if only a few are left. It looks like the one in photo below. One of the very first gas piston powered Case tractors. *
Good video, will have to show that to my Dad....
That tractor is a original owner, Billy Hughes the guy who past away that owned it was 93. His granddad bought it new and has been on that place ever since. A bank will have possession of the property because of a loan he took out to pay his sister off-of her half of the ranch. Trouble is this tractor will probably go up for auction, the bank I believe that's holding the loan is the oldest bank in the pacific northwest {Baker Boyer Bank} and more than likely because most farmers banked there, BBB probably made the original loan to buy that tractor. Cost of a 20-40 in those days was a chunk of money {$2,100}. I would like to see it somehow donated to the farming display at Fort Walla Walla Museum. So everyone can see it, things like this are vital piece of the farming history here and elsewhere. I understand privet collections, but items of this nature need to be kept in a place for the public to view. JMO.
Sure would be nice to see preserved in a museum…
Only a hand full produced. *
Finished---440 Mopar, demo car power plant. *
The oil filter looks really vulnerable. Seems like way too nice of an engine to put in demo derby car.
Yeah--those filters do get hit, this one he's going to mount a guard to frame. Not many run RB 440's because of several reasons, main one is chevy's are cheaper. But those are getting a little thin on supply of useable cores. He's got several RB rebuildable cores laying around. And this engine is loose, built from used parts, only new is rings, bearings, cam lifter kit, distributor, oil pump and intake manifold. Even reused a timing chain gear set from another engine that was good still. It will make good compression & power for it's limited use/life. He just came up with another 80,000 mile 1980 454 so down the road maybe another 454. * But I never build anything that looks ******.
And to clarify that--he paid me to do a good job not half ***. Even though it was assembled from a scrap pile and bucket of bolts.
Aftermarket 540 Hemi-800 to possible 1200 hp. *
That would be some demo derby car with a 1200 HP Hemi in it!
As fun as they are, I just don’t get the smash the crap out of something you just spent all that time and money on, derby car deals. I spent some time and very little money on the chariot races but that was just running, salvage yard crap, that was end of life fun. Im sure there is some innovation and planning that goes into a derby car but it’s not like you are going to run the car again.
There are three main cars to run, Slab Side Lincolns, mid 60's to mid 70's Chrysler, Dodge/Plymouths, and some Cadillac's. They build these cars to move interior reinforcing and ROPS from one car to another. They are allowed to weld up front frame factory lapping areas. Most cars see at least two to three derbies. Some transmission mods are allowed for strength, transmissions are often what puts them out of the running, bells completely broke out or cases completely cracked. Engines can run up to 20 derbies depending on over heating. He had a Chrysler B block 400 that ran 23 derbies. he won about $28,000 with that engine with no more invested than $1,000 in it roughly the same as this one. He just won a combine derby with a John Deere 6602 for $1,500 and combine was free. It all has to with luck and some real skill--he knows all the tricks in the area to get him to the end.
I didn't build that hemi--lol. But many in the derby car thing--spend big bucks on engines. Too the tune of $10,000. That's a little more than crazy when it could be taken out by a lesser value 440 in one quick maneuver.
Graham Paige supercharger. *
My brother used to run with some fellers in the derby game. They said the 318 would run hotter longer than anything else out there....
There is some truth to that. A shop & towing biz I worked at had a impound yard that covered a square block. So many were just scrap cars, basically no value. So we had brick party's to see which would last the longest. A Toyota from the 60's lasted the longest, second was a toss up between a 1969 318 and a 72 two barrel Cleveland. The 318 already had coolant in the pan, it ran almost 18 minutes WFO before it lost ring tension-no compression and died. The Cleveland ran the same amount of time. It got so hot the exhaust manifolds were glowing and caught the silicon spark plug boots on fire when it died for same reason.
Going back to posts 621-628 and the mustangs. The story behind the cars. * Back in Feb the county sheriff was in the line of doing a wellness check on the Billy Hughes the guy who owned those Mustangs and the 1912 Case tractor. Sheriff found him in the shop inside a 2015 Corvette he owned. Apparently by the investigation it was figured he became disoriented and unable to understand how to operate the emergency door lever by the drivers seat at floor board. The owners manual was out and opened, the battery was dead. Unfortunately because of his issue and age 93 with no one around to help him, he sat in the car with no heat no nothing and died because he couldn't exit the car. No tools inside to break a window. * Then about a month later the tweakers up the road stole the cars and ransacked the house, and when sheriff was alerted to that issue, a tweaker was also found dead in the shop from apparent overdose. * The bank had control of property by a trust. Bank took control of cars.
I have a 67 fastback being restored as we speak. I already have too dam much money in it.
If not doing it yourself, $$$ pile up fast. The big issue about these cars or any old cars for that matter, is what comes after. In some cases it's not good as constant driver because of the possibility of it getting damaged, it doesn't do much but hold the floor down as a garage queen, a person can only set in the dark hours of the night drinking beer/wine/whiskey admiring it. Not many people on the street seeing it are wowed. So it just boils down to personal likes, wants, entertainment. Personally I like the idea of risking driving all the time, at least that way there is the enjoyment of driving a car from that era that was fun to drive that has some feel/noise/vibe.
It's OK to be a summer or fair weather car but you might as well drive it after spending the time and money to restore it. Some cars are best left as show cars but cars are made to be driven not be static displays.
Yup- If you ain't gonna drive the car, then it's just another picture to hang on the wall. My '71 Bronco has plenty of "Arizona pinstripe", and it will get more...
This company originally started building accessories for class 8 trucks, then about 15 years ago branched out. * About Us | United Pacific Classic classic.upauto.com
That’s why rat rods interest me more than show cars.
Famed Offenhauser 220. *
Too bad the header has an ugly dent in it.
That adds character--as old as that engine is plus how many open wheeler races it's powered through--Offenhausers won 27 Indy races alone.
Guy with the demo car asked if could take look at his friends engine he uses--350 sbc. Yeah why not, so at 11:00 am I took a look see, overheating and valve train issues. Overheating was easy--used 400 siamese bore head gaskets that issue solved. The valve train was a little more in depth. He's using Vortech heads, he had guide plates and screw in studs installed but never had the guides cut down for the .503 lift cam he's running, max stock is around .470 lift. And he had not used a adjustable pushrod checker to set rockers at proper height. Stock is 7.800 and he needed 7.950 to get it in spec. The heads were not cracked which is a issue with Vortech's. So he spends a little more money--the way it is with hp.
Merc was the first to hit 400 hp in 1958. *
Rained last night so probably a late start today hauling grain. So I stopped by Steve & Bobby's shop to see what was going on. I noticed a radiator and wire running to coil on 440 demo engine, I didn't say anything. Pat the hired tow driver--{there were 5 guys here yesterday all standing around when Bobby hit the starter button-causing three of us to jump. It didn't even turn a half revolution let out a initial crack out the stacks and went to about 1300 rpm and just sang for 15 minutes. Bobby shut it down let it set a few minutes and screwed the idle down a half turn hit the button and instant nice slight lope at idle, and a steady 35 oil psi. Pat--for a pile of used parts it sure runs nice Mike. He installed a Quick Fuel 600 CFM two barrel on it, which is just enough for that. *
And the tug boat it calls home for now, still needs core support and large 3 row crossflow rad plus a few other items, 1978 New Yorker on a death spiral. Plus a caged turbo 400. *
I had no idea how much work went into demo derby cars. Are there different classes depending on the size of cars or amount of modifications done?
Several classes depending on rules and which derby allows what. But all that crap inside that tug boat has been moved from car to car over a span of 8 to 10 years. It takes nothing for these guys to gut the dash and interior and slide the bottom reenforcing through windshield opening then bolt the rops to it. All the engine fuel cell, trans cooler, shifter, pedal assembly & engine start box is moved with it time after time, and they have it down pat. It's not like they totally reconstruct each time, moving from one shell to another. * It's not something I really care about other than rebuilding a engine to pass time. Problem is now I think there will be several wanting engine assemblies, and that kind of turns it into a job.
Those types above {slingshot dragsters were called} is the reason for rear engine rails. Don Garlits only has half of his left foot from flywheel/clutch explosion. He was the one who decided rear engine is best.
Or a rich guy's addiction. Maybe it's the same as fixing up older equipment? Some of the cars are outstanding restored though.
I remember tig welding a driveshaft gaurd for a co-workers slingshot and he reminded me, remember, this is going to protect my balls! lol
Oh it's the same fixing up old Mack's for sure--the trick is knowing when to stop. Smaller vehicles though mostly consume parts hard to get in some cases to make them period correct. Where as a old truck can be modified using whatever for the fact not many expect it to be period correct.
These days most have pass a tech inspection to compete, for good reason. In Canada, Calgary I think a pulling truck {this was back in the 80's} had a driveline come undone. It shot a piece into spectators killing a 10 year old kid. After that, all had to have drivelines with retaining hoops.
It helps when the people who inspect race cars have some knowledge of what is good welding, bad welding and acceptable welding. I did some welding on a dirt track car. I've seen some horrible welding that actually passed inspection. They should make anybody building a car have to pass a welding test(s). One guy used silicone to make it look like nice weld ripples. The guy I was building the car with had a really crappy Mig welder and he wasn't much of a welder to begin with. Of course I bought a new Lincoln 255 so the welding machine wasn't an issue. You can't get a decent weld if you don't have enough amps and can't keep a steady arc. You can only fake so much with welding. If I was an inspector I'd probably reject 50% of the home built cars. Not to be a dick but if safety is the purpose there should be some credible standards you have to meet. Inspectors should have to be knowledgeable about what they're looking for too.
Standards what are those? We're living in a make up as we go time period. Remember what I said about dabblers that got everyone wound up? What you described above is exactly what I was talking about. But if it weren't for those half ass people---it would really cut into the amount of paramedics, nurses, doctors & specialist to reinstall various body parts. Oh I left out Lawyers--need lots of lawyers these days too.
Work pic's--what's really nice where we're loading. It's really hot and someone erected this really nice huge fan to cool things down, the prop wash does create a nice breeze through the cab. I like wind turbines, especially because those bug everyone else. *
Are they supported by just a huge deep concrete pad?
Correct--there is a ring of large bolts about 3" apart all the way around, what's interesting is the strange noises the blades put off at high speed, doesn't happen all the time, about ever fourth revolution.
Big vertical vessels are secured with a ring of bolts too. Most if not all of the real big ones have another ring above the base ring. I'm guessing it makes for a stronger connection using longer bolts the same way spacers are used on tractor and combine wheel bolts. I considered using spacers on the bolts with the wheel adaptors I made for the grader but ended up using Nord Lock washers instead. So far no issues. Longer bolts give the proper joint and bolt stiffness ratio. I think the stress is spread over a larger area making the bolts less likely to fail or come loose.
We take our SxS’s up in Gorham NH and they have those big suckers. The noise you’re describing sounds like a vibration in the air to me. It’s a big hoot when they change direction for the wind. Kinda reminds me of our old antenna on our roof for TV. You would turn the knob that looked like a timer and it would brup brup brup, till it got to the position you wanted. Every month dad would have to cycle it around a certain way, because us kids were to ignorant to make sure we went back and forth. Not in one direction, wrapping the cables up. Duh!
The real strange part--one of the trucks, a 91 Pete 379 has 7 inch straight pipes. It left the landing down hill--the jake noise is horrible, anywho the waves of exhaust notes hitting the blades made a very unusual noise tripling sound of the jakes. * I don't drive that truck--it was offered--no I'll just stay with the 97 Freightliner and 82 4300 International thankyou.
Right here---A Big Strapper.------The shack is a mouse house, the pipes are too loud. Needs the shack removed and one resonated stack. Although it was offered to me for harvest and it has a A to A B model that's a hot tomalley with 349 super jakes. Nope I'll stay with the other stuff. *
Now if they offer his dads 2001 379 with a custom C15 rated @ 750 hp, I might be tempted. But that one just stays hidden away.
Years of different magazine tests. #45 is Pontiac posted above. *
Hey @Truck Shop , what would typically cause an exhaust manifold to get red hot when running hard under load? Over fueling? 4 cylinder Ford Industrial engine on a Sullair 185cfm compressor. Engine had ran about 10 minutes when I noticed this. I was charging a 1000 gallon tank to 100psi to blow out a clogged manure line. Line plugs every so often, a blast of compressed air opens it back up pretty quickly. I run this compressor probably 2 or 3 times a week for various jobs, but I've never seem the exhaust manifold glow red like that. Coolant temp stayed under 180°F the entire time.
What colour is the smoke coming out of the exhaust? Nozzles not vaporising the fuel properly. Injection timing might be off.
Gas engine, carburetor. Exhaust burns pretty clear, maybe a tad rich, but not billowing smoke like some diesels.
Three areas, lean and or rich, ignition timing. If it was lack of air, octane engines normally bog with poor throttle response. Need to take a look checking for vacuum leak, high float level, advance frozen mechanical/vacuum type or both. But that is real hard on exhaust valves, might want to check clearance if solid cam. Vapors burning in manifold also. * odd I have a new name.
Seems that 600v liked the design and have designed it to a more modern concept.
Some concepts/designs crept off the drafting table and into reality, that should have made it's first visit in the round file. Just like the Cyber truck of today commonly and appropriately called the Dumpster, a modern effort in building crapola. imo
It power to a 2nd place win & $3,500 cash. And is still able to run another derby before engine is swapped to another shell. Photo right after painted. The only 440 dodge powered in that derby the rest were sbc. *
Be curious to see what was put on the front? Something like a 20” I-beam. LOL
Looks like heavy duty forklift tires.
No there are limits, the shock absorbing bumper mounts are tossed and bumper is welded to frame horns. * Yes it's industrial tires on front, with some high traction lug rotobeaters on the rear.
Sears & Roebuck cast iron finned cylinder heads. AB flathead. *
Three exhaust ports? Is the center one shared?
Correct, all flathead V8's were three port.
Debut of the Mustang, 1964/65 worlds fair.
That demo car 440--went to major derby in Utah, there was 23 cars in it's class. Was told, about a dozen gathered around looking at it afterwards, all thinking it was small block chevy powered, surprise. They all noticed it had a throaty exhaust, were looking at motor mounts wondering why it didn't break the block. One car had a $8,000 crate engine made it about two minutes and was put out of running. Was also told many were asking what was done to it and cost, $1,200. {Mike if you were there you could been in business building engines} Bobby said. { I don't know what he did other than he said--it's loose as a goose, it will rev & make power}. Never ran hot. It's coming out and going in another shell, after looking at it--- extremely hammered.
A slightly ugly concept car, the Chrysler Norseman built by Ghia as a one off. Went to the bottom with the Andrea Doria in 1956. *
Drafting table disasters---1951 Studebaker Manta Ray. *
Reminds me of an AMC Marlin without the fins. I didn't like the looks that much. An early Dodge Charger is somewhat similar too. The Manta Ray should have been a floating car like the Amphicar. What's with the right side of the rear bumper, the exhaust?
Exhaust openings are below tail lights--oval opening at bottom of bumper, I don't know what that other stuff is.
I see them now. Cut outs on only one side of the bumper is very weird.
Done hauling grain, hauled 2,000 tons in 12 days.
Between the two of us--drivers, moved 4,000 plus tons in 12 days. Would have been more but with combine break downs and packing up two combines/removing headers on to carts, two bank out wagons plus a disc for fire the two ton fuel truck and a rotary compressor for field moves of some distance. And average trip to elevator at 45 miles round trip a day grows short. But I managed 5.5 trips a day at an average speed of 48 mph overall. If everything went perfect probably would have moved 4,750 ton's. * I only worked the winter wheat, he still has spring wheat to harvest. Winter wheat averaged 89 bushel to acre. Spring will more than likely be 74, got to cover a whole bunch more ground to cut a semi load. Average gvw was 82,500 with a net load of 52,000 lbs. * No real truck break downs other than one spring on a trailer. And one engine derate that happened to the 96 Freightliner with N14 I was driving. The gravel road {Fields Gulch Rd} on the upper end has a series of S curves with total blind corners combined with 17% grade. It just so happened right in the middle of the last steep curve it derated. But being the fact it doesn't have a Allison or AMT transmission, instead a nice 13spd, I quickly dropped from 3rd to low/low in the blink of an eye. It crawled over the top at 1400 rpm. Let it set for 10 minutes, restarted and everything back to normal. It likes to do that once in awhile.
I'd be screwed if I had a derate on a hill in my dump truck but I don't drive it on the road. I'd have trouble with hills period but I learned how to shift on the internet. Partners step dad was a trucker but wouldn't drive the truck from the auction for me because it didn't have a current safety. The truck drove perfect once I got a little bit used to shifting. If I had to drive on the road, I think getting some instruction from an experienced driver would be very beneficial. I think a lot of drivers on the road could really use some instruction too.
Any idea's of why it derates? I'm guessing it's a Cummins Select but maybe a Select Plus. Would help to know incase I have an issue with the 94 M11 in my truck.
Very erratic, it will go two years and never derate then out of the blue it happens. We thought we had it fixed at one point but 11 months later it did it again. Problem is it never shows any code, let it set 10 minutes--all is normal. And may not derate for another year. * It's one of the reasons he has me drive it the most, unfortunately. Although it's really a good tractor, turning radius, traction, visibility, cab is quiet, good A/C, steers really well, 455 hp with very good jakes, and comfortable to drive with Airliner suspension and spring ride cab. Engine always runs well doesn't heat. And it's easy on fuel, it runs around 5.8 plus.
I have a check engine light on all the time that is apparently a coolant temp. sensor or something. The shop that gave it a once over didn't have it in stock and the in transit permit was only good for 3 days. The shop really ripped me off but they were the only one open on the weekend. I've had the truck start and quit because the coolant was just a tad low. The first time I had no idea why the engine quit but if I recall, I read the owners manual that was still with the truck and it had a troubleshooting chart. Topped up the overflow tank and all was good. The truck has 2 battery disconnect switches but what is really weird is if I shut one of them off I get a check engine light on the dash. I replaced the other one but not sure I needed to. I just shut it off and leave the other one on. I have no idea what would cause power to a dash light with the battery disconnect off? The switch is doing something because the light is off when it's on and the battery helps with starting. I thought maybe the ECM holds power for awhile after power is shut off but never waited to see if the light eventually goes off. That's easy enough to try. I'll do some voltage tests to see if the switch is working properly too but if it is I'm stumped why a dash light would come on with no battery power. Any ideas?
Use a paper clip in the low coolant connection and wrap with tape so it doesn't touch any metal. and bypass the low coolant sensor. Those sensors will build be deposits from coolant, even the newer coolants will collect on sensor and cause issues. That's part of the problem with the Freightliner I was talking about on derate, it only does that on a real steep grade, coolant won't cover the sensor, at least that's our idea.
A forgotten piece of the American Automobile Industry The Scarab, Car of the Future The predecessor of the Mini Van the Stout Scarab The Stout Motor Car Corporation of Dearborn, Michigan built only nine Scarabs between 1932 and 1939, plus one derivative in 1946. Today, only five of the original Scarabs are thought to exist and this 1936 example is on display in the lower level of the Campania Barn at the Gilmore Car Museum. The streamline people mover is considered to be the predecessor of the modern minivan. The Stout Scarab is a unique 1930–1940s U.S automobile designed by William Bushnell Stout and produced in small numbers by Stout Engineering Laboratories and later by Stout Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan. Overview of the Stout Scarab The 1936 Stout Scarab is considered one of the first production minivans, designed by William B. Stout with a unique aerodynamic shape and a rear-mounted Ford flathead V8 engine. It featured innovative design elements like a spacious interior with movable seats and a fold-down table, making it a precursor to modern multi-passenger vehicles. The Stout Scarab is recognized as one of the earliest minivans, designed by William Bushnell Stout in the 1930s. It was produced. by the stout motor car Detroit, Michigan from 1932 to 1946. only nine units were built, making it a very rare vehicle. Body Design The Scarab featured a streamlined unitized body structure, eliminating the traditional chassis and driveshaft. this design allowed for a flat floor and maximized interior space. Engine Placement: It had a rear-mounted Ford flathead V8 engine, enhancing passenger space and visibility. Interior Layout Flexible Seating: The interior included movable seats and a fold-down table, allowing for various configurations. Access: Passengers entered through a large side door, a novel feature at the time. Innovations Suspension: The Scarab was one of the first cars to use independent suspension on all four wheels, providing a smoother ride. Aerodynamics: Its design incorporated elements aimed at reducing wind noise and improving fuel efficiency, such as flush glass and hidden hinges. Historical Significance The Stout Scarab is often celebrated for its forethink design has been recognized as an art deco icon. Although it was. Successful. Price of $5000.00 equivalent to about thousand dollars today. It influenced. Future automotive designs. And concepts. Today only a few Scarabs are known to survive, with some still running today.
Stout Scarab - Wikipedia en.m.wikipedia.org 1936 Stout Scarab - First and Pretty Cool Minivan - ThrottleXtreme According to automotive historians, the 1936 Stout Scarab was the first production minivan. In the 1930s, many of America’s most prestigious cars www.throttlextreme.com 1935 Stout Scarab - The Studebaker National Museum The Scarab was the brainchild of William Stout, an automotive and aviation designer and engineer. The Scarab’s uni-body construction and rear-engine placement allows for an expansive interior space. The interior […] studebakermuseum.org https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/the-groundbreaking-1930s-stout-scarab-was-the-first-and-coolest-minivan/ 1936 Stout Scarab - conceptcarz.com The Stout Scarab was designed by William Bushnell Stout and manufactured by Stout Engineering Laboratories and later by Stout Motor Car Company of Det... www.conceptcarz.com https://www.hemmings.com/stories/cars-of-futures-past-stout-scarab/ The World's First Minivan And The Man Who Built It - SlashGear Chrysler is known for bringing the first mass-produced and highly successful minivan to market, but it wasn't the first iteration of a minivan vehicle. www.slashgear.com Stout Scarab - A Very Different Kind of Beetle - PreWarCar One of the Rarest Cars in the 1930s: The Stout Scarab The Stout Scarab is one of the rarest cars in the world. What is the story behind this unique cars and how did it become so rare? www.motorbiscuit.com
I just read a article about the Scarab---The earliest known design of a {Diaper Wagon} for the masses.
I graduated to a minivan with three kids, then with four more children, I had to upgrade to a Dodge Maxi van for all seven kids. The Scarab kind of brought back memories! So I guess I fit into one of the category of a, Diaper Wagon owner of the masses. lol
Small household here, only the two of us now and was only three when step daughter was still around. Only ever had a car and a pickup, only midsized car & pickup. Never had a need for a van, I never even rode in a minivan. Our car is 2017 Altima with 18,000 miles on it, pickup is a 2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 with basic stuff. It's all we need, the car gets 41/42 mpg on cruise, ranger 20 mpg. We just don't go anywhere, too many people on the road, I don't even like driving the tow truck for the company I use to work for. Just too many jack-wagons on the highways. Besides I drove 11 western states years back and I don't need to see the other 37 states.
William Stout also designed the Ford Trimotor or the airplane that it was developed from.
Stout was tied into several items with Ford because he was also a Ford executive. The Ford 46 was one but way too expensive for the times. * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bushnell_Stout
One of the coolest concept cars the Chevrolet company ever created. The Corvette Corvair did not make it into full production. It did set up the future of the Corvair Monza Spyder. The Corvette Covair The Corvette Corvair was a concept car introduced by Chevrolet in 1954, combining elements of the Corvette with a fastback design. It was showcased at the Motorama but was never put into production, with its name later used for a different model in 1960. The Corvette Corvair was a concept car introduced by Chevrolet in 1954. It was showcased at General Motors Motorama. Where it attracted significant attention due to its innovative design Technical Specifications ATTRIBUTE DETAILS Engine 3.8L inline 6 Horsepower 155 hp Torque 223 lb-ft Transmission 2-speed Powerglide automatic Layout Rear-engine Design Features Body Style: The Corvair featured a fastback design, inspired by jet aircraft, with a distinctive rear that resembled a jet exhaust. Dimensions: It had a sleek silhouette, with a roofline that swept back to enhance aerodynamics. Interior: The interior design shared elements with the Corvette but included unique styling features, such as custom seat covers and chrome trim. The Corvette Corvette. Was never a mass produced.. It was part of a series concept cars aim at gauging public interest, in new designs. Although several prototypes were created. most were eventually destroyed or lost. HISTORICAL INFORMATION The Corvair name reemerged in 1960 for a different model, which became known for its compact design and unique rear engine layout. The original concept, however, remains a notable part of Chevrolet design history, representing a blend of innovation install during the era. https://www.hotrod.com/news/1954-chevrolet-corvette-corvair-concept-mecum-auctions/photos https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/chevys-funky-corvette-corvair-was-almost-a-thing/ https://vintagenewsdaily.com/1954-chevrolet-corvette-corvair-the-coolest-car-that-no-longer-exists/ https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-concept-that-rose-from-its-ashes-237179.html https://www.conceptcarz.com/z24944/chevrolet-corvette-corvair-concept.aspx https://www.vintag.es/2023/06/1954-chevrolet-corvette-corvair.html?m=1
Zora Arkus Duntov---was not really responsible for this concept car. Although he played a huge roll in early Corvettes. * Cool story and photos.
From the ashes of the of the Corvette Corvair a new concept of sports vehicle was created, The Corvair Monza with a new spyder engine creating 150 hp. The below link has more pics of the Corvair above https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...za-for-sale-in-milford-city-connecticut-06450 The Monza Club Coupe 2+2 140 Super Turbo-Air, 6 cylinder with for Rochester, H or HV carburetors and a four-speed manual accelerated to 60 mph in 12.1 seconds and reached the quarter mile in 18.6 seconds. Appealing to the people who could not afford a Corvette or a Porsche. The concept of the Corvair was to be a competition to the German manufacturer Volkswagens, Beetle. The 1960 Corvette coupe 2+2 remains such significant part of automotive history, representing a shift compact, vehicles in the American market. The Name: Corvair came from Corvette/Bel Air!!!! Body Style: The 2+2 model features a two-door coup design Seating Capacity: It accommodates four passengers, with two front seats and two rear seats, hence the name "2+2." Engine Options: The 2+2 was available with various engine configurations, including a 2.7L flat-six engine, which provided a balance of performance and efficiency. Performance: The model was known for its sporty handling and was part of the second generation of Corvairs, which included improvements in suspension and overall design. Production and Legacy (2nd generation) Production Years: The 2+2 variant was produced during the 1966 model Chevrolet Corvair 2+2 Model Overview The Chevrolet Corvair 2+2 is a model variant that was introduced in 1966, featuring a four-seat configuration with a sporty design. It was part of the second generation of Corvairs and aimed to offer a more performance-oriented option. 1st Generation Corvair The 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 2+2 is a notable model from the first generation of the Corvair series, which was produced from 1960 to 1964. This model is recognized for its unique rear-engine layout and compact design. Key Features FEATURE DETAILS Engine Air-cooled flat-six engine Horsepower 80 hp (standard) Transmission Options Three-speed manual or two-speed Powerglide Body Style 2-door coupe Weight Approximately 2,270 - 2,305 lbs Wheelbase 108 inches Length 180 inches Body style : the 2+2 model features a two-door coupe design . Seating Capacity: It accommodates four passengers, with two front seats and two rear seats, hence the name "2+2." Engine Options: The 2+2 was available with various engine configurations, including a 2.7L flat-six engine, which provided a balance of performance and efficiency. Performance: The model was known for its sporty handling and was part of the second generation of Corvairs, which included improvements in suspension and overall design. Production and Legacy Production Years: The 2+2 variant was produced during the 1966 model year as part of the broader Corvair lineup. Market Position: It aimed to compete with other sporty coupes of the era, offering a unique rear-engine layout that distinguished it from competitors. The Corvair 2+2 remains a noble part of Chevrolets history, appealing to enthusiast forest performance characteristics. Performance and Design The Corvair 2+2 was designed to compete with compact cars like the Volkswagen Beetle. It featured a unique "Quadri-Flex" independent suspension system, enhancing its handling capabilities. The model was marketed as an economy car, offering a balance of performance and affordability. Market Position The Corvair was well-received in its first year, even winning Motor Trend's Car of the Year award in 1960. However, sales began to decline after the release of Ralph Nader's book "Unsafe at Any Speed," which criticized the vehicle's handling. The 1960 Chevrolet Corvair 2+2 remains at significant part of automotive history, representing a shift towards compact fuel, efficient vehicle the American market. Overview of the Corvair Spyder The Corvair Spyder is a notable variant of the Chevrolet Corvair, introduced in 1962. It was designed to appeal to performance enthusiasts and featured several enhancements over standard models. Key Features Engine: The Spyder was equipped with a turbocharged 2.4L flat-six engine, producing 150 horsepower. Transmission: It offered a four-speed manual transmission, enhancing its sporty driving experience. Performance: The Spyder could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in approximately 10.3 seconds. Design and Variants Body Styles: The Corvair Spyder was available as a coupe and convertible, emphasizing its sporty image. Instrumentation: It included a multi-gauge instrument cluster with a tachometer and other performance metrics. Styling: The Spyder featured unique badging and design elements, such as spider logos on the fenders. Legacy and Reception The Corvair Spyder was marketed as an "American Porsche," appealing to drivers looking for a compact, performance-oriented vehicle. However, it faced challenges in the market, particularly with the introduction of competitors like the Ford Mustang. Despite this, the Spyder remains a significant part of automotive history for its innovative use of turbocharging and its unique engineering. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair https://en.m.wiki2.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Turbo-Air_6_engine http://www.chevroletcorvairspyder.com/tech-info/the-engine https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Turbo-Air_6_engine https://everything.explained.today/Chevrolet_Turbo-Air_6_engine/ https://www.hemmings.com/stories/under-pressure-2/ http://www.chevroletcorvairspyder.com/history https://barnfinds.com/turbocharged-1964-chevrolet-corvair-spyder/ https://www.corvair.org/chapters/southcoast/misc/CorvairCatalog.pdf https://www.slashgear.com/1712744/chevrolet-corvair-biggest-problems-why-they-stop-being-made/ https://www.conceptcarz.com/s12105/chevrolet-corvair-series.aspx https://www.topspeed.com/first-american-turbocharged-six-cylinder-engine-that-never-was/ http://www.corvaircorsa.com/4carbs.html http://www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1.html
Crown manufacturing made a kit to install a mid engine small block chevy, with radiator in front. It did suffer some cooling issues, but installing a 375 hp 327 from 68 created a very fast and fairly decent handling being mid engine. I knew a someone that had one back in the 70's. * Good photos & story.
Ralph Nader was proved wrong as the original Corvair handling was similar to other cars of the time. The second generation Corvair has been called one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Had a shop teacher that owned at least one of them. It got written off when a city bus turned and the back end swung into the Corvair. He was really pi$$ed to lose his beloved Corvair.
This engine hasn't sold---many inquiries, some wanted it but just couldn't come up with the dough. So I'm thinking about-----------installing a set of 1967 closed chamber 915 cast iron heads with nail head valves, match ported. A Howards roller cam with Mancini steel roller rockers. And {Fast brand} four venturi throttle body fuel injection. The closed chamber heads will raise it from 8.3 to 9.9 compression, the cam would be mild custom grind of 216/226 @ 0.50 lift and 466/477 valve lift. Which would bump it to 380 hp. But I might install some hypereutectic flat top pistons on 5140 {I Beam} full floating rods too. With headers it should reach 380 area plus and run smooth. Can run more duration with roller cam and still idle pretty smooth. *
That was a killer engine with the 666 manifold. Now it will hunt down all comers and destroy them. Very nice build. Could you advertise that you could modify the engine to a buyers preference of the options you described? Of course for additional fee.
Nah--money is getting tight for people, there is allot of stuff been posted for six months on FB Market Place. People are just shy of spending right now, can't blame them.
Thought we all could enjoy a little entertainment. American stunt driver Earl “Lucky” Teter and his Hell Derivers https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/02/12/lucky-teter-hell-drivers/ https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/...blesville-news-plymouth-car-show/74680735007/ https://www.vintag.es/2022/07/lucky-teter.html?m=1 https://bluewaterhealthyliving.com/...stunt-driving-daredevil-of-noblesvilles-past/ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Teter And a little Funtime at the movie with some Vintage footage of Earl ‘Lucky’ Teter performing some of his stunts plus much more!
I had a few Corvairs back in the 1970's. Last one was a 1966. That one bit the dust when a old guy on a big Buick pulled out of a side street and I t-boned him at about 35 mph! Managed to turn the Buick about 90 degrees! I was driving from brothers wedding to the reception with my sister in front seat and brother's new wife's little brother in rear seat! Fortunately no one seriously injured, Corvair was totaled and we were just a little late getting to reception after getting ride from brothers father in law.
Chevrolet Performance ZZ632 crate engine Chevy 1000 hp 10.3 LZZ632 Big-Block V8 capable of 1004 hp and 876 lb-ft of torque https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=78078 https://engineswapdepot.com/ https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines/big-block-engines/632-engine https://engineerine.com/zz632-chevy-crate-engine-specs-performance-price/ https://www.hemmings.com/stories/gm...1000-naturally-aspirated-horsepower-in-a-box/ https://gmcrateengine.com/en/parts/zz632-1000-deluxe-19432060/ https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19432060/10002/-1 https://www.gmspecialtyvehicles.com/chevrolet/performance/engines/zz-632
The“Deep Sixed”Dream Car 1956 Chrysler Norseman https://www.hemmings.com/stories/deep-sixed-dream-car-chrysler-norseman/ Chrysler Norseman - Wikipedia en.m.wikipedia.org 1956 Chrysler Norseman: detailed specifications, performance and economy data View complete technical specifications for 1956 Chrysler Norseman. Includes performance data, fuel economy, dimensions, engine details, and more. www.carfolio.com https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-tragic-fate-of-the-1956-chrysler-norseman-159075.html The Story Of The Chrysler Concept Car That Sank To The Bottom Of The Sea - The Autopian Myth: A Famous (or Infamous) Chrysler Concept car sunk to the bottom of the ocean aboard the Andrea Doria cruiseliner. Today most people refer to them as “concept cars.” By “them” we mean those one-off dream machines, mockups, design studies and turntable toys intended to dazzle us at auto... www.theautopian.com 1956 Chrysler Norseman - myAutoWorld.com - Archives 1 The Chrysler Norseman concept car, not a production model with multiple years. It was a one-of-a-kind, four-seat fastback coupe built in 1956 a1.myautoworld.com The 1956 Chrysler Norseman never made it to America, but it did influence the design of a car yet to be introduced to the American market, the 1965 Rambler Marlin. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Marlin The AMC Rambler Marlin: A Weird, Wonderful Concept Car Made Real The Rambler Marlin remains a rare sight in the world of classic cars, but the car’s utterly unique appearance makes it a welcome visitor to any venue. www.motortrend.com THE MARLIN STORY https://www.autoevolution.com/news/rare-and-quirky-this-1965-amc-rambler-marlin-might-be-the-nicest-one-you-ll-ever-see-249775.html
Not a fan of the looks on those cars.
Grew up with Pontiac Bonneville Fastbacks, Pop loved those body lines, so too I did. Called Brougham Sport Coupes. https://over-drive-magazine.com/2024/08/01/1966-pontiac-full-size-cars-fact-sheet/
I could envision some storage unit or barn with 25 429’s in crates and some old toothless farmer about to get new implants and retire in Belize. lol
When Ford stopped high performance circa 1973 with a corporate memorandum that all high performance R&D would cease, not all high performance parts were destroyed. Most in above ad was IIRC part of H&M corp sponsored racing inventory. And dumped in a fire sale by what I've read years past. Wasn't that many SOHC and Boss engines that were disposed of. Ford didn't want it on the market.
Pretty sad but that old line Snip Snip befits Fords decisions.
It ended the Cleveland--but every American automaker put the axe to high perf at the same time, it wasn't just Ford. Compression ratios dropped overnight 2 full points all the way around. The 440 Dodge ended production in 1978 at 225 hp and 320 torque Chevy and Ford were all in that same horse power realm.
1967 440 Magnum 915 castings. Only year for these and the most sought after in a oem cast iron head. Up till 1967 castings were 516's mainly, closed chamber small 1.60 exhaust valves with restrictive 165 cfm intake runners. The 915's came in two varieties standard 1.60 exhaust valves or the Magnum head with 1.74 exhaust, closed chamber and 205 cfm intake runners. These below were real rusty, glass beaded, tapped all threads, cleaned ports with hard rolls and off to the auto machine in Hermiston for exhaust seats & guides. Guides had been knurled before and seats throated with a Bousfield cutter. But the good thing not cracked and still at 4.130 head thickness, never been surfaced, although there is a warp of .003 on each. will get surfaced also. Mopar's performance store Direct Connection advertised the 915 head as a 35 to 40 hp gain by swapping heads. Probably closer to 25 hp. *
Are these for an upcoming engine build that you are going to do?
Could go a few directions with those, possibly as posted in #730. Only difference would be instead of Howards I would probably go with Oregon Cam Grinding in Vancouver Wa. For one they returned my E-mail and two they have several custom grinds available on steel billet that I can add or subtract duration/lift. Plus the supply a reliable hydraulic linked roller lifter. But for a EFI, the H-Sniper is the best, expensive but the best, using a distributor pulse too.
You really know your engines!
During grade school I was not interested in the common children's books. My reading skills lacked as written on a report card in the third grade. So to better my reading, I found old Motors & Chilton manuals at a second hand store in town, my mom bought them for penny's. I sat and read those from cover to cover noting all the engine specifications and tune-up info. In the 4th grade I knew the valve lash settings for just about everything built from early 30's to late 50's, including most all engine rebuilding specs and bolt torques.
My dad had a series of automotive repair educational manuals from when he was in school in the 70s. I found them In a box in the basement in the late 90s and read them all, cover to cover. I was probably 12 or 13. I didn't hesitate to jump in and turn wrenches when the opportunity arose after reading those. I wasn't skilled, but I wasn't apprehensive to dive in either. I have rebuilt an engine about every other year since I was 16. Some small, some big, but always learning. I currently have a Ford v10 on the stand in my garage. its getting new seals/gaskets everywhere, along with a timing set once I get my garage clean enough to tear it down. Just trying to make it reliable enough to drop into my 2008 F350 farm truck.
My first at 16, 1965 Olds Cutlass Conv 442 with a first year 400 cu.in., one of the better cars I had. Rebuilt to stock specs for $700.00 IIRC, that included new pistons and rebuilt heads, I used the cylinder head tooling and bore bar at friends shop. Photo is not my car. *
My first was a 440cc 2-stroke out of my snowmobile. Worn crank seal let it lean out on a long straight away. The ol 2-strokes ran really, really strong when lean, right until they sizzled and seized.
It resides just west of me, know someone who has ridden in it, by the looks it wasn't what he expected. *
A guy that lives down the road from us has a 1972 or 73 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440. It's in pretty good original condition but land yacht is an understatement! Sure wouldn't want it as a daily driver. 440's were really thirsty. I think in motorhomes you were lucky to get 6 MPG and some only got 4 MPG. Dependable though.
All of what you stated was the issue with American car manufactures & buyers, all of it opened the barn door to foreign car market. And to top it off Honda & Toyota far more dependable. * The full size cars today are still midsize by comparison to 1973 Caddy Fleetwood. Smaller pickups made a stand for a while but no matter the gas price the American male was going to have a full size truck no matter the cost or mileage gas or diesel. Then Xers started the romance with diesel powered pickups, allot of it inspired by diesel being much cheaper at the time. Because it sure wasn't the stoppable power of a 6.2 or 7.3 diesel. The horse power has climbed out of sight the first quarter of this century, so has the fuel prices. And like what happened in the early 70's, high fuel costs are here to stay. And it will swing back to a smaller more efficient pickup.
Will always turn to doing more with less. I prefer a Full Size Pickup for head and leg room, Wife's Exploder is OK but cramped for myself, is actually tighter in Driver seat than Big Blue and gets uncomfortable in longer runs. Controls distances are another issue of mine, Full Size pickup used to be presented as for the Operator where today are established for the passenger of front seat. Radio, HVAC, the more Creature Comfort sections set up for passenger control, steering wheel became a place to set remote switches, MANY MANY TOO MANY, where distracts driver just to adjust radio volume/station which in the older machines was easy to knob set. Damned Impala I have was a second transport fuel economy machine, NOTHING in that car is Comfort of a Single Occupant design. Costs of Insurance, Maintenance while being a secondary use machine really detracts from any form of Savings as are actually paying for Two. I bought a Diesel Pickup for economy of fuel while power to tow or haul. Gas was Junk in the 80s/90s, gutless, at least the diesels would pull and economy was similar but with better power/longevity. I actually used mine, was not a Soccer Mom machine.
In most cases--how much is doing more with less. The price of diesel hasn't been competitive to gas for a long time now. I think having a trailer to tow has become a thing along with the extra stuff laying around to put on it. It became a keep up with Jones affair for many, as in the fact how many awd/4x4 vehicles have seen use except for a possible 2 days a year. * Like this thread--things telescope.. Race cars used to be hauled to events by a two wheel drive pickup and a normal two axle car trailer. These days there's more cost in the flashy tow vehicle and enclosed trailer than the car inside it. It's all about image portrayed and how room is left on the credit card.
I live in FL. It is all sugar sand. If you pull off the side of the road in a 2wd (one wheel wonder) you are likely to be stuck. How many times per year of that happening does it take to justify a awd/4wd? I wouldn't own a vehicle that wasn't 4wd. As for enclosed trailers, they are nice for a myriad of reasons, none of which are flash: Things stay dry when it rains. People can go in it at a track/event when it rains and the equipment is unloaded. You are not advertising your expensive stuff to the thieves when you are stopped for dinner or the night at a hotel. It precludes someone just grabbing something as they walk by. Nothing falls off or out of the trailer en route. The roof, if strong/reinforced, makes a nice observation platform. Can double as a tent.
Funny how one post will draw those out of the wood work feeling they need to justify their belongings. * I personally don't care what people buy, just making a observation of years past. The bigger the better is the standard for today, the more over the top the better it is to some, actually most. Hobbies aren't a hobby anymore, no it's a representation of dollars and life style. * What did folks do years past without all this, they lived.
It is funny how people who can't afford nice things try to put down those who have them. I do not own an enclosed trailer personally. My mud buggy/toy is too tall to be effectively enclosed. I do appreciate the benefits of en enclosed trailer vs. an open one though.
You no more know that than the man on the moon. I don't care about your mud buggy, or boat or golf clubs or any thing you have. You ran out of threads to cruise and decided you need make a point here, keep traveling.
Ford Motor Co, 1914. *
Oh but I do know that. It was a general comment, not necessarily about you. Envy is considered a sin. You like to think your way is the only way and if others do things differently, they are wrong. I simply shared my thoughts on why people may want certain things you think are superfluous. In fact, you were denigrating people because of items they chose to buy/attain. Why not just read your own mail and leave others to theirs.
Why don't you find another thread, If you don't like what I post--don't read it. I didn't denigrate anyone, I posted how times changed. You read way more into it than it was. And why not stay in your lane and leave others to theirs. I don't follow anything you post, have no need or want, zero interest. And others can just do what they want, they're going to anyway. I ain't religious so don't play that card. You just were added to the ignore list.
Facebook www.facebook.com
I thought TS's original post was pretty general in nature. If you live where it makes sense to have a 4x4 fine but there are a lot of people that buy big 4x4's, diesels (or both), lifted 4x4 diesels just to show off. God forbid they'd actually go anywhere they needed a 4x4. That's basically how the economy works though. Everybody wants to out do their neighbors. I have a 4x4 because we have brutal winters here. If I go out to my property could have snow a foot deep and if I get stuck I don't want to have trudge a 1/4 mile through it to get to a machine that can pull it out.
My dad's favorite car was his little red 1964 Fairlane 500 with a 289 and a three on the tree shifter. He said he could match the RPM and shift from 1st to 3rd without using the clutch.
These guys if you need a camshaft--I've used this business in the past. They make nice valve train for FE Fords, the sets I've installed work real well. * Cam Grinding, Camshafts, Racing & Performance Equipment cam and camshaft grinding by Oregon Cam Grinding, Inc. oregoncamshaft.com *
Someone pissed in someone’s cherrios and lines got mixed up. I have a mall crawler of a Jeep and am proud of that minivan motor in it. Of course, when I hunt or go off grid, it has to work a bit. Funny camshaft’s we’re just posted, I just received my 6.2 GM camshaft from Fed Ex yesterday for my GMC Sierra yesterday and fortunately just finished pulling the old cam yesterday. So while these AFM lifters might be one of the dark periods of GM’s history, I can’t afford to keep breaking down. I had the #1 intake collapse last Saturday and while tearing it down, I found this on the other side of the motor at #4 intake. How this truck was running so well before the #1 intake went down again, is a mystery to me. I am reasonably positive, this was the tick on the other side of the motor, after it was fixed the first time.
There is a on going issue with aftermarket cams, Oregon won't regrind unless it's a oem core. For roller hydraulic in most cases it won't happen unless it's a new steel billet. They won't turn it out if they can't trust the billet. * No cherrios, no wheaties, no corn flakes.
Of course not, you're Frosted Flakes
Some 30K views, it seems allot peruse this thread.
Neighbor just finished a delete on a 2017, cam, lifters the whole thing. Three frozen rollers on lifters along with two collapsed, bent pushrods. I think it's the third one he's done this year.
Hydraulic roller for the 383 Chrysler, 215/225 @ .050 265/275 Adv, lift 460/477. Would idle smooth and be good from 1600 to 5000. $549 and a set of Johnson roller lifters $569. The cam in it now {oem six pack} 213/225 @ .050, lift 435/444, which is oem for back then, and good to 4500. Roller ramps are allot smoother. Both with a lobe separation angle of 112*. Be a little rumpy at 110*. The tighter the LSA the more lope.
1964, he was lucky, 64 was the first year of the top loader transmissions, with 1964 3.03 model kind of by it's self. up dated in late 65. The top loader boxes came about because the Borg units were kind weak. And because of the 427, Ford needed it's own transmission to handle that kind of horse power/torque. The previous T-10's would melt behind a 427. There were 130 some versions of the top loader from 64 to 71 including three speeds. The 1 3/8" input shaft models were for big blocks. I had that model aka {big shaft} in my jeep, it came from a 70 SCJ 429 Torino. I had to send the main shaft out to Trans Adapt to have that machined {shortened/re-splined} with an adapter plate to accept the military transfer case.. I drove that around town rarely using the clutch, top loaders were known for smooth shifting without a clutch. * Fact--many chevy owners back then converted from a Muncie to a Ford Top Loader. The TPL was way stouter than anything available at the time. The Muncie M22 was never in the class of a top loader.
And that my friends, is the steel trap of a mind, that puts myself into perspective. Especially when I couldn’t tell you what I had for dinner last Friday, never mind yesterday. Lol
While others were remembering sports stats--I wasn't. Last two Fridays was Chefs salads.
But to add to that HH. I'm having trouble remembering stuff I did 15 minutes ago. I can remember old mechanical trivia, but lose track of something I just did.
Remember these, G60's? Can still get them--for a mere $540 each. *
This is the Best saying that I have seen in a Long Time, so true. Thank you, Truck Shop!
I'm the same way. I worked at a shop where one of the guys said I could be on his trivia team any time after I knew who Captain Scarlet was. He was from the UK where Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons originated. I used to have Captain Scarlet toy vehicles and and one of the annuals (book) they put out. It was an awesome show to watch on Sat. mornings way back when. captain scarlet and the mysterons - Search Videos Watch videos instantly on Bing—enjoy direct playback, discover related clips, and dive into trending content all in one place. www.bing.com
Below is a typical but sad example of people swapping LS engines where they don't belong. 1966 GTO would have had a 389 with tri-power, 1967 would be the first year of 400 4 barrel. Wants 49K for it, yes it was allot of work but it would be better left alone with original 389. IMO. To each they're own I guess. *
same car. *
To be honest, if I had a reasonably priced muscle car that already wasn’t original, I would love to repower with a LS motor. If it wasn’t original is the key, or a rat rod. I’m not financially secure enough to want a true collectible but even if I was, to be honest, they were all boats back in the day.
It was the sound of a flat tappet cam, that huge bore to go with it that created the muscle car sound/image. * And generally speaking, yes some were boats------but fast boats for the times. * That car above {engine photo only--not the car below, that was only for reference}, is a local car. That was 98% restored before the LS swap, nuts.
If a person wanted a zippy car with only a V6, the Nissan 370 Z Nismo, new for 45K. 350 hp with a 7 speed manual and posi. The 2007 350 I had below was 320 hp with a 7 speed automatic and posi. It would get 31 mpg on cruise, it's power and handling was real good. Or I guess a GTR would work. But as issues arose with hips, getting in and out is a young guys game. *
My partner has a Nissan Juke and it has a lot of electrical gremlins. Apparently other Nissan models do too. Heater motor died at under 60,000 kms. when it was -25C. MAF sensor replaced 3 times. They just put a new plug on it so will see if that lasts. Radio will die for no reason or not even come on when the car is started. It gets froze and you can't change channels either. She hates the tire pressure monitors because they are overly sensitive and the light comes on regularly if .5 PSI low or a few pounds too high. I told her maybe it will be OK to keep now except for the tire monitor light coming on. I don't know if it's best to keep vehicles a long time after they're paid off or sell/trade them when they still have some life left. She wants to lease but I've heard leasing is only good if you can write it off. You have no equity in it where you do if you own a vehicle. Curious if others prefer to lease for a personal vehicle?
We've had three, never had electrical issues, our 2017 Altima has been great. Although it only has 18,500 on it. But certain models do have issues, and kind of like anything it's all a roll of the dice. But one thing for sure--I won't own a American car, I had enough of those in late 80's early 90's.
I worked with a guy that had an older Altima he bought new and he loved it. I think it was a 2002. It is sometimes a roll a dice if a vehicle will be a lemon or not. The shop that worked on it said to get a Toyota or Honda.
The worst issue that Nissan had starting 2002 was catalytic coming apart sending tiny particles back up through reburn system, which would take out the rings. Mostly happened after 50,000 miles. Was a warning mailed by Nissan about it. We had a 2002 V6, I had the Cat changed at 40,000 and drove it another 40K till traded on 2017.
To add to the true statement of {boats back in the day}. People still clamor to them because no epa stuff, easy open to work on, can dump just about any power plant in one, and have individual look. Across the freeway you could identify every car. I really can't tell a Kia from a Toyota at speed. You knew {back in the day} you were looking at a Goat, even when GM started sharing body lines in the late 60's. The cars had a nose and a trunk. All that was adorned about them was lost to a crammed engine compartment and a trunk that holds two suitcases. Engine room was taken away and given to interior amenities. Then came the idea with pickups that so much technical stuff was planted under the hood in the name of diesel power it became a necessity to remove cab to gain access. I look at that as nuts, JMO. * But the funny one, {back in the day} home builders built tiny garages for the big boats. Can drive through any section of old 30's thru 60's housing tracts and see houses with basically a single car short garage, we have one. It just contains our 2017 Altima, what in the heck were they thinking? About the only car that would fit in there at that time was a Studebaker Lark. No full size American made car would fit, every city in the U.S. had houses built with garages that were more inline with a large dog house. Then late 60's came along the two car garage came on the scene. Only now the cars are smaller and the pickups are Semi's and still can't fit those in there. Which leads to-- the {man cave shop} located in the back section of lot. That is in many cases way to heck bigger than the house. With three phase, toilets, refrigerators, a hammock, and tv. All necessities to hide from the wife while performing the LS swap and walls filled with tools. Life in average neighborhoods across the nation, what would man do without all the goodies to keep him out of sight of the wife, he's been sharpening the same lawnmower blade for the entire winter for a lawn he hates to mow. * Which leads to why so many men were full blown alcoholics during the {Back in the day} days, they had no place to hide, except that bottle of Who Hit John-that had a special place.
Sadly cleaning out my Dad's house a few years ago, he was a mechanic from the early fifties. I was going through his old shop manuals, The first few pages in the manuals were pictures of the grills of the cars that the manual was for.
A tow today--driver turned the jake on and front drive took a power divider dump. They're having problems with a bearing issue it seams.
One item that creates issues when aftermarket EFI throttle body injection is installed. EFI doesn't need intake manifold crossover exhaust heat. If left with open ports it creates a vapor instead of just atomized fuel air mix. Fuel in a carb can be hot but when pulled through the venturi it cools by as much as 75 degrees. With EFI there is no venturi cooling as a matter of fact with hot injectors under pressure it's close to 130 degrees plus. By leaving the exhaust crossover open the plenum in bottom fuel reaches 175 degrees. Which causes poor higher speed power on highway by as much as 20% loss and terrible intown mileage too. So it's either block the ports with a intake gasket that has no port opening or use a Air Gap style intake manifold with no exhaust cross- over ports. *
Lots of cool and expensive cars at Goodwood. The drivers are trying to not wreck them but there have been some unfortunate accidents and close calls. The former racers are still ultra competitive and don't hold back much. There's video of Porsche 917 but the driver isn't pushing it at all considering how many millions it's worth. I wish I would have been a little older and went to watch Mark Donahue and Jackie Stewart race in the Can-am series at the Edmonton Speedway Park. Mark Donahue won in a 917-30 and Jackie Stewart (world champ, F1) was second in a Lola. Nothing came close to HP of the 917-30 though. Turbo boost could be turned up to a claimed 1580 HP for qualifying. Usually around 1100 HP for racing. McClaren's with big block Chevy's were around 900HP if I recall. I did go to the last race at Speedway Park. My brother's best friend did some emergency after hours Tig welding to repair a blown up transmission on one of Paul Newman's cars. They gave him free pit passes. Geoff Brabham won. I think Teo Fabi was racing for Paul Newman's team. Can't remember who was partners with Newman. Maybe Haas? Unfortunately Paul Newman didn't attend. Watched one driver blow a turn into a wall because his brakes partly failed. They got him out of the car and his foot was turned 90 degrees. That had to hurt!
69 today, and still looking working on vintage gas engines. The guy finally pulled and stuffed this 454 I built him last winter in his K30. Doing some tunning on it this morning for him. *
Runs excellent--very slight exhaust lope plus smooth idle at 700 rpm. Oil psi 40 at idle 55 at 2000. Temp steady at 190. New 650 AVS carb and new distributor. Really good throttle response. With that carb, intake, cam shaft, compression raised from 8.2 to 9.4 plus headers it should bounce it from the original 235 to 340 hp and 460 torque. Which is plenty for a tow truck.
Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday! From the North Okanagan… Contributions: invaluable
Happy birthday @Truck Shop ! Thanks for continuing to share on the forum here, I appreciate it.
I started farting dust just last week.
426 H--designed by a dutchman, Willem Weertman. Originally designed by Tom Hoover in 1951. *
"Most of the hard work has been done".... Still a long ways to go
The hardest most expensive work is still needed or not worth fixing anything else!
Young kid that works were i do after 3:00 when school gets out cut a hole in his pickup roof and put a sunroof in his pickup. I ask how bad it leaked . He said it didnt its been a very dry year.
Up here, ad for rv reads: No leaks….meaning not dripping from sagging ceiling at this moment
Oh by the way, racecar spelled backwards is still------------.
Model T Ford -Flying Speedster
I wonder if he made it. It looks like he's a touch low.
Was a test pilot.
Depends on how fast he was going.
Average speed of a 1919 Ford Speedster was 40 to 45, some say it could hit 60. But none of that was ever confirmed.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 All-Steel Toolbox 1950 Chevrolet 3100 All-Steel Toolbox The 1947-53 Chevrolet 3100 Advanced Design truck front end toolbox is all steel - No plastic or fiberglass! m.roadkillcustoms.com
And this thing below might, I say might happen. Because he lives in Columbia county the dept of licensing is a little more apt to allow a title being issued because he is part of the good ol' boys club of farmers in that county. And he would go with me to verify it's authenticity/history. * Plus if, a big if I decide to do something--I will turn it into a long wheel base 4x4. Steve's son has a 1983 K20 that had a 6.2L diesel that has the axles & suspension I need plus a 205 transfer case, and the correct last year 727 automatic from a motorhome that has a bolt on yoke so it would be a divorced transfer case. The axles I believe are just what I want with tall gears, either 3.21's {rare} or 3.42's. Perfect for road speed using the Chrysler 383 I built. Which I'm in the middle of finishing swapping heads to rare one year only {1967} 915's, which sets compression right at 9.1. With 31 tires at 65 it would run around 2,400 rpm. The rear axle is semi floating GM 14 bolt all with 8 stud. There is ton's of aftermarket parts available for interior. Build a 12' fat bed with no trailer hitch. It would make a semi fun thing to do. License with a collectors life time plate, low cost, insurance would be cheap. And I could actually still use it. All of mentioned parts above are free. Steve's son Bobby said {take what ever you need} because we owe you so much for helping us and never asking for a thing it's the least we can do. So that will cut expenses drastically. *
Go for it!!
After removing cover on 14 bolt GM axle and finding the numbers--it's the rare 3.21 ratio. GM called it 3.21 but 42 divided by 13 is really 3.23. Only made those from what I can tell in 1982-83 in a 14 bolt and there are no replacement ring & pinions. Which is ok because there is nothing wrong with this one, plus a good highway gear ratio with a 345 hp 383. Should be around 2,200 rpm at 60 to 65 with 31's.
29K views · 876 reactions | The #Ford Thunderbird 'Battlebird' was undeniably one of the starring attractions of this year's Freddie March Memorial Trophy at #GoodwoodRevival. Fitted with a 7.0-litre V8 and driven furiously by Bill Shepherd (@bill_sh The #Ford Thunderbird 'Battlebird' was undeniably one of the starring attractions of this year's Freddie March Memorial Trophy at #GoodwoodRevival. Fitted with a 7.0-litre V8 and driven furiously by... www.facebook.com
Have a 727 Torqueflite to rebuild, will post photos of it. Going behind the 383, which I just finished throttle linkage for kick down for 727. Most crap wagon the linkage together when installing a high rise intake manifold. I always spend the time to customize it to fit/work like factory. I rebuilt the bracket on this Dodge small block after installing a aftermarket intake. plus change arm on carb to match factory 4BL. *
Good work. Any one who has ever chased sloppy primary shaft bushings can see you have too. Rochester primary shaft diameter is .308, ish. Quite convenient, that is.....
482K views · 4.9K reactions | Doing the 3 pedal shuffle #demo #demolition #derby #demolitionderby | Matthew Elliott Doing the 3 pedal shuffle #demo #demolition #derby #demolitionderby www.facebook.com
you know, that would be fun to be in one of those just for kicks. I just don't like harming cars that much now i'm older. mostly I like fixing things.
Only thing it has going for it was those were headed to the crusher anyways. I build a few engines for local guys but it isn't something I would pay to watch.
Average income in 1969 was $8,300 mustang was 26% of income, average income today figured nationally $78,000 a mustang gt is 62% of income. *
And gas was $0.35 a gallon! Gas Price History What is the highest gas price ever? Keep reading to learn how the cost has changed over the last 100 years. www.creditdonkey.com
The 727 was a very good trans and easy to rebuild . I have a old motor home to junk with a big Dodge engine . Its fiberglass its body will have to be cut up and hauled to the trash place . I dont look forward to this job. Several guys said the wanted the engine i told them they could have it if they took the thing and junked it . At least 3 guys said great they would take it but its still here.
Around the average price to scrap a motorhome is $50 bucks a foot. * 727's are easy yes---till easy doesn't work when finished.
I had very good luck with the 727 i rebuilt some they were in pickups with bale beds that could haul 2 big round bails of hay at a time but the drivers were good and used low range most of the time when using 4wd. Low range is the key to making a automatic last.
I have seen a lot of motor sports but this one takes the cake! Auto Polo History of Auto Polo, Rules, Equipment, and News Automobile polo is a motorsport that was invented in the United States. You can get here the History of Auto Polo, Rules, Equipment, and News livesportworld.com The Chaotic, Crash-tastic Sport of Auto Polo from the 1910s | Moss and Fog Exploring the highly dangerous, extinct sport of Auto Polo. mossandfog.com Auto Polo There's a a lot to be said for the sporting endeavours of the first motorists, "Auto Polo" is a long dead sport...Madison Square Garden in New York City. silodrome.com
It's always reassuring that anything on two legs has been desperate for entertainment since they moved out of the trees to ground dwellers.
Some accessories mounted on 383--getting very hard to come up with correct mounts/pulleys. I built a new mount at block to raise with one long bolt the power steering pump then made a new adjuster mount to pump housing. Plus throttle/kick down mount revamped. Because the carb is a offshore knockoff 650 cfm AFB. I took it apart to check floats jets and internals, all was perfect---unlike the last three Edelbrock's I dealt with, all three the float settings were extremely low, and made in the U.S.A. * And some A727 Chrysler transmission parts and pieces. *
You do good work. I have built a carb or two myself. My personal belief is that the Quadrajet is the peak of carbonator design. I have given away or shot with high powered rifles all of my Holleys and Motorcraft four bbls, and the Edlebrocks are next on the list.
Q jets were a good carb--the trouble was too many cooks in the kitchen messing with something beyond their limits. Carter's AFB was a good carb--farmed out to various builders through the years, including PacCar. * I changed the heads on that 383, it now has 1967 castings 915, one year only closed chamber. which jumped calculated compression to 9.2 from 8.5 with better flow also.
I just got my 1985 chevy pickup running i switched engines in it. The Q-jet i think had been setting 2 years . I thought maybe it would be ok but yesterday i drove it 60 miles and it ran good then i came home shut it off for a hour or so started it to go to town got out of the drive it died . It restarted i backed it in the drive and drove something else . I guess i should take it apart and clean it?
gaskets shrank, float is sinking.
Finished the 727 automatic with shift kit, bolted to block to mockup kickdown linkage. Because of the added height of aluminum intake it changes all throttle geometry, so for kickdown to engage properly at part throttle much attention has to be paid to this area when using stock linkage. Locar makes a cable set up but it's not cheap and the original can be made to operate correctly. Plus I redid the power steering pump and pulley setup I had built. It still wasn't going to be high enough to clear frame horn. So completely revamped a original power steering/pump & bracket plus changed Alternator to operate off same belt as water pump. Chrysler built no less than six different power steering brackets with a variety of pulleys, finding the right system can take some time on a 55 plus year old engine. Plus they used three different pumps and brackets are not swappable. But this works and belts are straight with pulleys. *
1981 Indy--Danny Ongais the flying Hawaiian. *
Danny "On the Gas" Ongais passed away in 2022. His life in motorsports is one of record breaking from the time he started in the 50's racing BSA motorcycles to fuel injected/blown rails/funnycars, IMSA, 24 hours of Daytona, 24 hours of LeMonds, SCCA, Formula 1 & Indy. *
Once pushed his rail drag that broke, when the other car red lighted to the finish line to trip the light for the win. *
Only need pickup motor mounts to install & fire. *
Reason it went back on the stand was to install 6qt truck pan & pickup tube, plus exhaust manifolds and wires. Built it to go in 2WD, for the fact there are no cars left in reasonable condition plus want way too much for a 2dr coupe. Will find a early 80's 2wd that isn't beat to hell, there are some of those left. *
This 1940 Ford has caused some Controversy on What this Really Is! Lincoln, Continental, Zephyr, Special or Custom! The time that Edsel Ford was directing Ford. edsel ford zephyr at DuckDuckGo DuckDuckGo. Privacy, Simplified. duckduckgo.com 1940 Lincoln: Special Or Custom? The seller calls it a Zephyr, but that doesn't seem right. barnfinds.com Check out the Comments on the link.
Guy here in town that owned garbage company had a collection of late 30's/40's Lincolns/ Zephyrs--He had photo of one like that hanging on the wall in collection barn.
102K views · 32K reactions | @ncmmsp was suuuuch a good track. It’s not often you get to just work the throttle and let the car flow through turns like this. I may repost this clip from @samigelii later with some music, but for now… listen to #cattle @ncmmsp was suuuuch a good track. It’s not often you get to just work the throttle and let the car flow through turns like this. I may repost this clip from @samigelii later with some music, but for... www.facebook.com
I am looking for a vehicle and would like to find a 2wd pickup. I have seen a couple older Dodge pickups but they are not very close by me. One bad thing is i am a mechanic and probably shouldnt buy anything that needs work. I had a 1984 Dodge van slant 6 with a 4 speed OD trans . I wish i had it back now along with several other rigs now that i need something to drive.
The Cooper-Cooled Chevrolet was GM’s First Major Disaster Chevrolet Series M Copper-Cooled - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org The 1923 Copper-Cooled Chevrolet: What Went Wrong? Although it happened nearly a century ago, the Copper-Cooled Chevrolet affair is still remembered as one of the great blunders in Motor City history. The GM project that eventually produced the infamous Copper-Cooled Chevrolet was led by Charles F. … Continue reading → macsmotorcitygarage.com https://www.hemmings.com/stories/copper-cooled-calamity-the-1923-chevrolet-series-c/ Why Chevrolet's Copper-Cooled Car Was A Major Failure - SlashGear The copper-cooled car was an innovation ahead of its time. In the 1920s, Chevrolet went all in on this design and it turned out to be a major flop. www.slashgear.com Chevrolet Series M Copper-Cooled (1923) – Classics Dude classicsdude.com 1923 Chevrolet Series M The Chevrolet copper-cooled engine was developed by Charles Kettering, the head of the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco), GM's research wing in Dayton, Ohio. He started developing an air-cooled automobile engine in 1918. www.museumofamericanspeed.org History Lesson: The Copper-Cooled Chevrolet Was GM’s First Major Disaster Few modern car fans know about GM’s first major mistake, the ill-fated Copper-Cooled Chevrolet. www.motortrend.com
The Harder You Look - The Worse It Gets! Common Sense is a Super Power but not here!
That takes place in every nook & cranny from shore to shore.
If any of you happen to run across one these and priced under 300 buy it. Ford people will pay bucks for one of these just to hang on the wall. *
That is what i need for my 1964 330 HD
What that is--1966/67 factory aluminum 427 Sidewinder medium riser. The carb is positioned 1.5 inches to left side to create even flow. All standard FE Ford intake manifolds plus most aftermarket have a lean issue with #2/3 intake runners. This manifold corrects that, but it is made for large intake port heads.
I need a set of heads to? I have a exhaust leak at one of the manifolds so i could fix this at the same time. I have less than $1000.00 in this truck that would bring this up.
Large port 66 to 70 GT 390/428.
1910 Richard Scaldwell's JAP GN Grand Prix special with a J.A.Prestwich 5 liter/305 c.i. V8 Quite possibly the coolest car ever........ (Page 1) — Bench Racing — The 24 Hours of Lemons Forums Quite possibly the coolest car ever........ (Page 1) — Bench Racing — The 24 Hours of Lemons Forums — forums.24hoursoflemons.com A 100+ Year Old Hot Rod - Sensational JAP V8-Powered GN Aero Cycle Car - ThrottleXtreme Meet Richard Scaldwell and his stunning 1908 V8 Powered GN JAP Aero. This 100+ year old GN cycle car is powered by www.throttlextreme.com Scaldwell | Gettin' A Li'l Psycho On Tyres GN Jap specs, performance data - FastestLaps.com 1919 GN Jap specs, performance data, engine specifications, pictures. fastestlaps.com HR Godfrey and AG Frazer-Nash GN Cars, Cycle Cars, classic cars, historic autos, British Cars, motors, automobiles from London, UK www.simoncars.co.uk
Trouble with the olden days, it didn't matter whether dirt got in a engine because machining, materials, and oils were poor quality. Engine covers & filtration were down the list and pressure lube systems were not standard.
It would be tough i think to have to go back and live in those times knowing what we do.
Happy New Year @Truck Shop ! May your family stay of good health!
Thank you, same for you & family.
1957 "Take a ... Second Look" - TOP 57-22-T Click on the More link lots of good stuff there!
that is a form of gibson style tractor.
I thought the steering set up was quite interesting!
Early style of rack pinion on a arc, any slack in front axle pivot would cause all kinds of issues.
Worlds Largest Model A Museum World's largest Model A museum opening As vacation begins, a new attraction for auto fans opens in Hickory Corners, Mich. www.usatoday.com
A hundred twenty years later, and there is still thousands upon thousands of T's & A's left.
Did you know that Holley started out making Automobiles and Motorcycles? Pictures are in the link https://www.holley.com/blog/post/did_you_know_that_holley_started_out_making_automobiles_and_motorcycles_/
I guess this goes here. *
Its really something the different ideals early vehicle and tractor manufacturers had before things got kind of standardized .
Found a possible--for that 383 I built. 1974 W100 automatic with the great part a divorced 205 transfer case, 3.55 gears. Bahama Yellow and Black just add a couple Cat decals. *
Liked those years because the dash was basic, zero extra unwanted stuff with a glove box that when opened, it was just a cover, stuff stayed didn't fall out. Plus that truck above came factory with three gas tanks. *
My buddy had a '76 half ton 4x4, and a '74 3/4 ton. Both with the 318, and the 203. The 205 is a far superior transfer case. My Son in Law has a'78 Chebby with a 203 converted to part time. Top end didn't oil because the chain wasn't spinning. Wore it plumb out, it did...
75 was the first year for 203, it was heavy also and because of that responsible for cracking the bells on TH350/TH400's. Just possibly the worst T-case ever.
Truck shop you need to own that unit and do it justice.
I don't know about justice necessarily, although those early 70 Power Wagons are getting tough to find. Most have been stump jumped to death, are so cobbled haywired only worth scrap. Ones with big blocks are really scarious plus extra thrashed in many cases. Dodge stopped the big block option in 1978 because the B/RB engines were being laid to rest with only option as the 360. In order to install a B/RB it needs to have the smaller diameter dual vacuum chamber brake booster for valve cover room, and I happen to have one of those in new condition, plus that item is getting tough to find, other than that most everything is available.
The Model A exhibit is one of my favorite parts of the Gilmore Car Museum. Some of my favorite parts were all of the conversion kits made to turn your Model A into something else: tractor, airplane, air compressor, etc. All do it yourself kits you could buy through a catalog and have mailed to you. Gilmore's is about 15 minutes from my house. They host a weekly Wednesday night drive in, Specialty events on Saturdays during the summer, a concert series in the summer and even do a tour of lights before Christmas. That's also where our schools Cross Country track is located for their home meets; my son ran there last fall.
The body on that looks incredibly good, how are door bottoms and rocker panels? Certainly no visible corrosion in pictures. on edit ...maybe minor on rockers?
Not exactly sure, I haven't looked it yet, I expect some in floor that is the area to look because of carpet/moisture. But that said it's 52 years old, if there was none that would rare, also this PW has only been licensed in Wa it's entire life. Now if it were from lets say the other side of Rockies and further east the only thing left would be a lug nut. And pickups like this end up in many cases being bought/hauled back east because they have nothing left and want to destroy what's left. I know that's a little sarcastic but it's the truth, usually once back east the rust starts showing by the end of two years.
Vert-A-Pac Vertical Automobile Transportation Within the same volume of an 89-foot car, the Vert-A-Pac could hold as many as 30 automobiles instead of 18. Full article found on Amusing Planet .
I can remember seeing cars hauled like this. Would they of had to drain all the fluids ?
I remember reading about these, I am sure they did drain most of the fluids. I remember reading the batteries had the fill caps at the back so that when tilted up like this the acid would stay put. I imagine they could do something similar for the gas tank if it was filled a certain amount.
Note--that was only done with certain car models due to length. It did cause issues with seepage at front crank, transmission and drive axle seals. An acquaintance worked at a GM dealer at the time, if leakage was slight it was deemed ok, problem was the person doing the deeming. Many clutches were replaced not long after sold.
I bet you’re a hoot at parties? Way too much knowledge in your head, that or smelly brown stuff. Lol
No I didn't do parties, But I have an uncanny ability to remember back years and years. One thing people really hated about me was the fact I have a tendency to remember conversations about the most trivial things along with some very un-trivial conversations, especially those involving a boss or fellow worker. One thing I really like to remember is negative items, no one cares about positive items of the past. Smelly brown stuff, I leave that to the rest of the crowd. * My brother likened me to savant when it came to memory, except the fact it covered many areas. Unlike a typical savant.
Henry was also the guy that would/could fire assembly line workers for talking on the assembly line. Henry was really kind of a turd.
That car above---One I never planned to post, 1963 & 1964 chevy impala's had to be one of the most boring slim box designs ever bult, america fell for a ruler with wheels. Designer ran his 4H pencil the length of both edges of ruler, drew a few lines for roof two wheel openings and tires, Viola a cartoon car. * Note seat belt was deleted but padded dash was kept, didn't mind being thrown from vehicle but wanted a soft spot to hit they're head on, on impact.
Circa 1941 Wrecking yard at Irwin, Pennsylvania. Spitz Auto Parts, east of Pittsburgh
Probably worth north of a few million in parts and builds today.
Shorpy-Henry Sharpe Higginbotham-Shorpy Higginbotham. A digital enhancement blog of photos from mid 1800's to mid 1900's. Named after Shorpy Higginbotham a teen that worked as a greaser in a coal mine.
Sold today, with trans, spare cylinder heads, and car oil pan. Less is more. *
It's going to spend the rest of it's days in a year engine/car correct Plum Crazy 1971 Super Bee.
Guy went and bought a new Victory enclosed trailer yesterday in Post Falls, then drove here to pick up that 383 plus trans. He bought it with some relative going to buy it from him when his done with it, nice trailer with enough floor tie downs inside. Another engine sold & cash in the bank.
Then a few hours later the dishwasher finally took a dump after 24 years. So a trip to HD and bought another Whirlpool for $1,100 installed. Had to replace the fridge about 5 months ago it was 24 years old and bought another Whirlpool to replace that one. I can't gripe about the Whirlpool appliances I've bought.
If these make 5 years, you will be extremely lucky.
For dishwashers, I always go Bosch, Whirlpool everything else. There are definitely better brands, some actually made in the US but for a while, it’s just been a crapshoot, however you go. I do know we put the wife’s first pick, a high dollar Samsung fridge in the new house. I broke 3 times in the first 3 months, after the last breakdown, I made them take it back.
Originally a factory 4 speed car, 390 or 406 option. Either way it's fun to see it being run instead of setting in a collection. *
That Swede has some good heel toe action on/off throttle shifts. Which reminds me. Back in I guess 1979 I had a 57 Ford Fairlane with a 390 4 speed and posi. Two other and I were out screwing around on a Saturday afternoon up a paved stretch of Green Canyon. There was a hill climb off to the side on one hill and there were four or five 4x4's climbing it, we stopped and watched. When they were all on top I fired up and throttled it grabbing third and spun them all the way to the top. I spun around rolled the window down {I knew all of them} and asked {What's your point}. Matt setting in the back wore half his beer.
With no explanation of what that block above is, surprised no one asked. * That is a Y block Ford motor company product, Lincoln to be exact. Those were used in Lincoln cars and Ford trucks of F700 and up, from 1952 to 1963 but only in the 302/332 cu.in models. There was 279, 302, 317, 332, 341 & 368 varieties. The Lincoln Y block had vertical intake ports unlike Fords Y block of stacked horizontal ports. The 368 was only produced in 1957, was 300 horsepower. The one above is a 1962 332, after the FE came on the market in 1958 not many trucks came with Lincoln Y blocks after that. Has become a rare engine these days.
I had a 1964 F100 with a 292 that I was told was a Y block if I remember right. Bought it in 1974 and drove it across country and back while I was in the navy. I don't remember much about what it looked like and that broken engine didn't bring back any memories. Was mine a different animal than your photo?
The Lincoln Y block was only used in F700 and up models, what you had was a Ford/Mercury Y block, which used entirely different heads. Which came in 239, 272, 292 & 312 cu.in.
Below is a 292/312 stacked intake port cylinder head, you can see the difference in the photo above of the Lincoln Y block head still on the block, note both heads are rights & lefts, freeze plugs have be removed for swapping from side to side. The Lincolns were left/right only for water port fit to manifold. The head below is a custom Mummert aluminum head. There have been some Y blocks built that saw 520 hp on dyno. *
But one thing to note is the fact Lincoln built their version of the OHV Y block starting in 1951. And many think it's odd that when Chevy produced the 265 small block in late 1953 experimenting, that the small block chevy head resembled the Lincoln Y block cylinder head. Who knows how that all came about but the Lincoln Y block heads have a really good straight intake port/runner.
This 312 stroked to 375 managed 464 hp. *
What's with the huge breathers? coming out of the valve covers?
Just that breathers, just extra dress up they put on it, I imagine those are some Ansen custom built taller valve covers, expensive. With all the custom built parts by Mummert, plus the money spent on internals, it's a $35,000 plus engine.
Question asked today involving engine oil pressure, my answer. * Oil pumps are positive displacement pumps with a set relief valve pressure. Pressure is built by bearing clearance. Even at high rpm, such as 7,000, a properly built engine will still only require 45 to 50 oil psi. A small block chevy pump can pump 35 gallons per minute depending on rpm. At high rpm with a high volume high psi pump it can suck the pan down to cause cavitation because the oil is in the upper end and can't drain fast enough. Most savvy engine builders these days don't run high psi/volume pumps. Just high volume standard pressure. Plus it creates extra parasitic power loss.
The two @ 5:20 to 5:28 point--passed me on top of Cabbage I84 about two days before this show--They were cruising at 75 plus. Must have been headed to this show. *
Make way more than that, the reason the others lasted--only two people in the house. dishwasher only runs when there is a full load. The refrigerator lasted because there were no children standing for five minutes with doors open trying to decide what to eat and they aren't even hungry--doing that every hour. Water heater will last long time--no daughter/s around taking twenty minute showers twice a day. * And I just replaced the central HVAC system all new Ruud equipment. The old gas furnace I had put in in 1998, the Seaburg AC was mid 60's vintage but finally developed a slight leak. No point in fixing. But we don't keep the house at premium living levels. AC is turned on when it hits 85, the heater is set to 50 at night and 67 during day. Will last the rest of my days. We don't entertain people we don't have people over, every less person is less stress on the house, heck I don't even allow that brother of mine around here.
A little Ford FE block info-- * Dropbox www.dropbox.com
Reason I posted the FE info above, It's wise to check any 361/391 truck blocks made up to at least 1972. There is the 50/50 possibility it's a 428 block, as described in link. Even though as a 361/391 360/390 with a 4.050 stock bore, the 361/391 blocks can be punched to 4.130 which is a stock 428 bore. Blocks for 428 are hard to find and the possibility of a beat F600/700 with a 428 industrial block is very possible, as long as block isn't cracked it's worth 600. Plus the crank will be steel and snout can be machined for passenger car 390/427. Only 391's had steel cranks along with 427's. All passenger 390 were cast steel, worth 250 to 300. Many of those have been scraped.
Was checking with a Local Machine Shop as to JUST IF or AS decide to overhaul my old Tractor, if could handle the Head. Older Machinist, laughed, said not a Problem, and he noted he preferred building 235 GM sixes and older Slant Sixes in the 60s, Allis engines a No Brainer. Built his own Twin Two Barrel manifolds, did have access to a couple early 4 bbl GM 6 cyl manifolds, managed tire destroying torque monsters for Quarter milers back in the day. Was just crossing Eighty Five and has slowed A LOT since his old times in his Dad's machine shop. FE Fords are scarcing out much as the old GM LoBlock Big Blocks. He had a 428 in his shop being Sleeved as was in there, for a resto build.
Difference is GM gen IV blocks 427/454 there is a few manufactures making new blocks with splade caps. Not much in FE blocks, aluminum heads yes. People scraping old trucks don't get much by the lb, the short blocks are worth a fair amount compared to rest.
1958 MEL engines available in Edsel's 410 with 475ft lbs toque to bad 59 was dropped for FE V8s. My dad had a 59 rusted Edsel repowered in its life he bought it cheap it had a c6 & unknown V8 was healthy in early 90's he left it over night at a ol school A st speed shop & tried Vic Hubbard try Id it in Hayward CA but no idea on the engine cu in. That boat would fly down the highway but was parked end 90s. 60s was great time for engines.
Basically the MEL died because the Edsel died, even though it was used in common 430/462 cu.in. in Lincolns. Ford was already working on the 385 family 429/460 for 1968, and for those who wondered why there was two transmission bolt patterns on the 385 blocks was Ford kept the 430/462 C6 bolt pattern on the 429/460, could mate either transmission. The MEL was also a wedge chamber, combustion chamber in bore, with cylinder head deck flat, it really wasn't a good flow design. * But the FE was produced in so many hp ratings and the possibilities were endless for the times because Ford's high performance division was given a green light to compete in just about any type of racing. In 1961 the 390 was offered with a tri-power and rated at 401 hp then came the 406 in 1962 rated at 405 hp to replace the 390 hi-perf, only to be outdone in 1963 with the 427. Which even today the 427 SO is still a engine to contend with, one of the very first designed to withstand a continuous 7000 rpm in a big block. To be followed by the SOHC 427 at 600 hp which was a low rating at that time. Ford like Chrysler was pouring buckets of money in factory sponsored racing. It's what made Mickey Thompson, Holmes & Moody & Shelby household names.
12M views · 115K reactions | Guess what engine is this ? #auto #mechanic #automotive #mechanicsteve #automechanic #engine | Mechanic Steve Guess what engine is this ? #auto #mechanic #automotive #mechanicsteve #automechanic #engine www.facebook.com
Mega ship 2 stroke engine built in place as ship is built around it?
Wartsila-Sulzer.
Over 150 Ford Model Ts flood southern Ontario for international tour The Model T Ford Club International's Thames Valley Tour brought a variety of the 100-year-old classics to London for a unique celebration driving.ca
To be proper--a Duesenberg pitted against a Auburn. Or a clash of 1930's antiques to drive the upper class out of they're minds. Fun to watch grown men in suits or sweaters in anguish, all taking place on the 4th & 5th fairway at a golf coarse.
The Lincoln with suicide doors looks built twice as heavy! Not sure why he kept hitting head on instead of backing into the other car. Amazing how the red car still ran!
Slab side Lincolns are a sought after demo car because of frame construction.
Google for the demo derby found the 59 Edsel Ranger was pulled from the weeds & prep for the show. Ol' girl was past rotted out the way body tin canned but front was impressive was a coe in the end & still the 352 V8 was cranking.
The car to run in a derby--1998 vintage crown victoria.
Rolling Tanks!!
What about a land yacht like an early/mid 70's Chrysler Newport? Weren't some police cars with reinforced frames?
Those are sub-framed--the years that were tough 64 to 1967. X frame cars don't last long early 60's GM. Actually GM's don't fair well in most years. 60's Cad's & Toronado's do well.
And then Cummins came along and grabbed the baton. And they're still hanging on by a thread.....
Actually dodge jumped on it before the other two knew what was taking place. Cummins didn't grab anything--dodge made a great offer.
157K views · 1.6K reactions | How many of these did you actually get right before he revealed the list? Be honest—drop your score in the comments! #TruckTok #UsedTruck #UsedCars #CarTok #GMC #Chevy #Ford #Ram #Automotive #MechanicLife #BuyingATruc How many of these did you actually get right before he revealed the list? Be honest—drop your score in the comments! #TruckTok #UsedTruck #UsedCars #CarTok #GMC #Chevy #Ford #Ram #Automotive... www.facebook.com
All the Above!! Over Technified wastes of Metal and Money.
Lets not forget the clap on clap off at every stop light
1953 Cadillac Elegante This US$1.4-million one-off is the most expensive Cadillac ever The Italian-bodied ‘53 ‘Elegante’ looks unlike anything else from the luxury marque—especially with all its 24-karat gold plating driving.ca Car of the Week: 1953 Cadillac 'Elegante' concept car In 1953, Harry Birdsall teamed up with his partner Joe Mascari, to co-commission a futuristic, airplane-inspired two-seat retractable hardtop Cadillac. www.oldcarsweekly.com https://gmauthority.com/blog/2026/08/1953-cadillac-elegante-one-off-concept-car-auburn-auction-bound/
Be interesting what it nets, the bottom has fallen out of collector antique & muscle cars. Many are selling 50% below highs of 15 years ago. Many are taking a bath.
Are younger people less interested in those eras? Same reason 70s and 80s Ford and Chevy pickups are going up and John Deere 2 cylinders and Farmall letter series are going down.
Farmalls down? And I just got my BN going again after one of the governor weights fell off while it was running! Glad it happened only a few feet from the shed door and it was at low idle. Did bust some teeth off the gear train. Managed to find a guy who could supply all the needed parts including gasket set. Due to my own health problems did take a few weeks to get it done but so far runs great!
Younger--Gen Z and Millennials just don't get excited about those items. The pickups hit a high spot about 2 years ago, and slowly dropping. Many just are not selling, been on the market for months at too high price, plus most are rotten or no title. Plus with cost of living no one has spare change for gas hogs. The tractors have become ornaments, not many want old hard to get parts for farm equipment. Semi truck/antique/show from early 80's down are not selling as were, asking way too much for bagged out old trucks needing way too much. Plus the after- market retro/parts has over priced it's self. With the economic climate we have now it will only drive it down more.
Most of this latest generation do not have eyes for Autos where many do not even drive, seems Square Bodies and earlier GM Pickups as well late 70s to mid 80s Fords are selling well to Gen Xrs as they attempt to get some value of life as their parents retire fully and lost capability(Us) then still have some urges to reminisce.
Well yes & no--the restored are way expensive, and most that are left are flintstone, especially eastside of rockies. Any left around here are see through all the way around, sunbaked with no windshield channels left.
1964 Corvette C2 Stingray Shelby designer Peter Brock to be keynote guest at Cobble Beach The mind behind the C2 Corvette Sting Ray and the BRE Datsuns will be speaking about the most expensive U.S. car ever auctioned driving.ca Vettes of Atlanta Magazine C2 Corvette Deep Dive: The Sting Ray Revolution | Unlock the C2 Corvette story: a deep dive into the Sting Ray, Z06, and big-block engines. Explore collector's insights, and history of America's Sports Car. vettesofatlanta.com C2 Corvette - “The Sting Ray” Introduced in 1963, the second generation Corvette was known as the Sting Ray. Learn about its history, specs, options, performance, stats & more.... www.corvsport.com
Guy I went to high school with had a 1971 C3 roadster with a 350. It was a good car I guess, but long trips were hard on the spine. None of those were really very comfortable long distance. Ontario Orange just like one below. *
My Back and those not ever got along, could get down In one, had to crawl to the ground to get out.
Once-Collectible Cars That Completely Crashed in Value Over Time Once collectible and expensive, these cars completely lost their value. See which classic and modern cars are now barely worth owning. kitbibb.com
Not sure I agree with all the cars in that list. A lot of them were never collectable in the first place.
Brothers got their Ponchos thru Meecham before the Slowing down turn, Got great money even as Broke Even on materials in them. Younger Brother had a 62 Catalina 421 Six Pack 4spd, Aluminum Front End sold for close to $30k, Guy had it on a site brother saw, was already down to $24k, Peach of a Car. The 2+2s they restored brought more than that and are in private Collections but those have drifted far south of $30 as well. Would want NO Part of it these days.