Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

480c oil in right side brake housing. Need advice please?

480C · 2025-05-25 13:24

Hi All, I hope you’re enjoying your Memorial Day weekend and not reading this post, but if you are need some help. I working on the right side brakes and I noticed a small amount of oil come out of the housing as I took it off. From what I’ve read it seems there are 2 potential sources of the leak. Could be the seal between the splines or the seal in the bearing carrier. Take a look at the pic I posted. It seems like the back of the brake drum was dry and only the splines had oil on them. My guess this might mean just the seal between the splines is leaking. Not sure So, what should I do? Replace both seals while I have it apart? I read in a post on this forum that you can press in the seal between the splines over the old one? Possible? Which was does that seal go in? The the side with the spring face out? Any other advice on doing this job? Thank you!

Replies1
  1. #1480C2025-05-25 13:25