Hi all - finished the brake project, now onto fixing leaking steering shaft - got the steering wheel off - mine wasn't stuck - 2 minutes and all was disassembled - however, I am stuck on getting the pins out - the one behind the c clip at the bottom of the steering shaft where it connects to the steering valve. any videos I have seen, the pins pop right out - mine are stuck solid - even went to a 2 lb mini sledge and a drift punch - didn't move - don't want to wail on it too much as I don't want to damage the steering valve - any suggestions? I am also hesitant to use heat as the area is just soaked with hydraulic fluid/ grease etc and I don't want to start a fire. suggestions? Drill it out? Can someone confirm it is a pin that just slides out or is there a trick to it or? thx in advance for any assistance.
Soak in penetrating oil maybe. You are right, they usually push right out.
Thanks 1978case - have done this week, will see what it looks like on the weekend...
So, just to close the loop on this - I tried soaking it, I tried drilling it out etc - no way the pin was coming out, so, I removed the steering valve with the shaft attached - it was a bit tricky to get it out but there was enough clearance on the right side to get it out... once out I clamped the shaft and coupler and was able to drill/ pound the pin out - no way I was going to be able to do that when the assemble was in the 'hoe.... then when I went to get the seals out, the brass backer was NOT moving so I had to take the head off the steering valve and punch it out from the back side... having the head off allowed me to clean up the interior of the seal area really well with a wire wheel on a dremel - it reassembled easily and even more importantly - it is leak free!!! Now, on to the next job.... Thanks 1978case for the suggestions and thanks in general to all who have contributed to this board, it is an amazing wealth of info.....
Glad you can report "leak free" after all that. I never had a problem pushing those pins out and I've done it a few times............but those pins would have 50 more years on 'em now.