Right now I pull a 7x32ft 3 axle cattle trailer with a dodge dually, it does fine but I drive so much I would rather be putting all those miles on a 10000$ truck instead of wearing out a 45000$ truck. What is the good and bad of a late 90s 4900 with a 466 and a 10spd? Empty my trailer weighs about 6000lbs, loaded it's about 25k. Any idea what kind of fuel mileage I could expect? I know there's variables there. I've found some late 90s like I'm talking about with under 100k miles for under 10k. I go 375 miles to TN on Mondays, 250 each way to KY on Tuesdays. And then shorter 50 to 100 mile trips 3 other days of the week.
I have a 4900 w/ the dt466...just not a 10 speed. I would venture 6-8 mpg. If it were all cruisin' downhill....maybe 10 mpg.
That's about what I thought, 8mpg at best. That's one of the reasons I have not wanted to go this way, I average 16mpg with my dually.
There's a reason that 90% of the hotshot truck and trailers you see on the road are Dodge duallies, not trying to be a smartass but I think you've hit right on it. Funny how that little Cummins with the right gearing and decent aerodynamics can get 16mpg averaging something like 20K GCW eh? Probably doesn't slow down much on hills either, I know my old 97 12 valve mechanical didn't pulling my 3 axle gooseneck equipment trailer at about the same weights.
Just a thought , buy an older duallie and keep your other truck in good condition which I'm sure you already thought of. I have an 02 F250 with the 7.3 has about 140k miles on it. That's my fuel service truck, get 17 mpg plus loaded. I have an 05 F150 Lariat , womens truck what ever , but its nice to ride around in and gets very few miles. 90% of the time I drive the 250. I put 2500 miles on the 150 last year driving to and from the local golf course. One thing also to consider , the International with the DT466 will last a lot longer pulling a full load and should be safer. Back when diesel was 50 cents cheaper than gas that was the way to go.
if you have learned to like the performance of the dodge you're going to be disappointed with the DT466. Not the same thing.
With your numbers, I arrive at the following calculus: 1100 miles per week using 65 gallons diesel @ $3.50 per = $227.50 fuel (approx. 11k per annum). You would spend another $11k per annum in fuel, plus the cost of the truck, plus the maintenance of that additional truck, to save mileage/usage on the pretty Dodge (which, by the way, is way more comfortable than a 4900). I don't see an argument to be had.
I agree. Also the 4900 is not going to be near as comfortable to drive as the Dodge for all those miles.
Thanks for all the replies. I just gave some of the one way numbers, it's really about 1600 miles a week. Where I am now is I have a 2007 dodge with 180k miles and I just put a Haybed on it, so I'm still hauling with it now and I will keep it around to feed with for a long time no matter what. This idea was because in the next 6 months to year I'll be buying something to pull with. Another good thing about the dually is I get by going past all the scale houses, with a small tractor that won't work anymore. I think I'll just buy another dodge. Now that I started talking about it I see it's the way to go.
I Just traded in my 06 Dodge 5.9 for a 2014, 3500 with 6.7 HO Cummins and the Aisin 6 speed. It's a horse with the 40' GN trailer.. It will not pass a fuel station below 10 mpg loaded... I don't look anymore. .. The Mileage sucks. For the cost straight up cost I may be tempted to find a Pre o6 Day cab (I just did a quick search) like this Volvo 2005 VNL42T300. $23,500 540,000 miles. You cold buy another older 1 ton truck and plan on a rebuild. This emission stuff is killing the mileage. I just ordered a Herrin Hauler bed for my 14' Dodge 3500. He does a a good bit of beds for RV guys using Volvo sleeper rigged to pull their 5th wheels with a Smart car tucked in behind the cab. If these guys are getting 11.50 MPG with huge 5th wheels I would think a single axle day cab would get better. John
I have a 2015 pete 579 loaded at 80000 I average 7.5 to 8 empty I weigh 36500 and average 10+
IF you are worried about stopping, that 4900 will be light years ahead of your dually. I went from an 05 cummins to an 01 dt530E with 275hp. The cummins was faster but the int 4700 is by far safer for moving down the road. I don't even notice the trailers behind me anymore. Just sit back and go for it. I would RUN away from a spring suspension tractor though.