So I have a 490D that I would like to put an auxiliary valve and thumb onto. Primary tasks will be stumping and rocks. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to source these WITHOUT spending the value of the machine?
You could just buy an electric diverter valve and patch into a line from another function, I have done it a few times. It is relatively cheap and works ok.
A 490D has an auxiliary spool in the control valve. All you need is a DO3 valve and sub-plate, an electric control handle and some hoses plus relief valves. If you don't want to pay the price for Deere reliefs you can install a relief block in the thumb lines.
What is a DO3 valve and a sub plate? I knew that the auxiliary spool was already in the machine.
D03 Examples: http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/product/9272 http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/product/9327 Or something like this will also work: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...PM-CC-DA-HYDRAFORCE-SOLENOID-VALVE-9-7989.axd Note you may need 24 volt coils unless you step the control voltage down. You will also need to add at least one needle valve (on the inlet, or one on each outlet port) to control speed of engagement, these are called "Bang-Bang" valves in the trade for a reason.
lantraxco, for all the thumbs I've installed and others I've seen I don't believe I've ever seen needle valves installed. It's never been an issue.
YMMV, some exclusions and limitations may apply.