I have a friend with a Kobelco SK160LC serial #ym03-u1490 It is currently set up with "excavator" style controls and would like to set it up for "backhoe" style. It does not have a pattern changer so I was wondering if someone could tell me which pilot hoses to switch. I know the pilot lines are located in a compartment behind the cab and was also wondering if it is the hose bank on the right or on the left?
Hi it's the bank on the left that stands straight up that you need to change the hoses on. What does you mean by backhoe style controls which functions do you want to change
What's commonly known as "backhoe style" is dipper on the right joystick and boom on the left joystick, bucket and swing does not change. I meant to look when I went to work today to see what hoses to swap, but you know how it works, you get to work and all hell breaks loose. One thing I can say, you need to swap 4 of the lines, and you have to swap the lines that come from the cab joysticks where they connect to the manifold. If you swap the hoses that leave the manifold and go to the main control valve it won't work, that will confuse those pressure switches you see on the manifold. Check your hoses where they connect to the manifold and see if the original markings are still on the hoses and legible, like V1, A2, etc
Thanks for the replies. Of course my pic came out side ways for some reason. Soooooo I guess my question would be do I change the hoses on the "top" hose manifold (they have colored zip ties on them, I imagine to designate them) or the lower hose manifold that's further back? And Willie, I have no idea what you mean about all hell breaking loose at work, every one of my days are smooth as silk......:drinkup
Let me put it this way, you're sitting in the seat, hands on the joystick. Well, there's hoses connected to those joysticks. Get out of the seat and follow those hoses (imagine there are no covers) back to where they connect to the manifold, that's where you want to make the swap. If you make the swap on the back side (outlet) of the manifold you'll flip out the pressure switches on the manifold. Most original Kobelco pilot hoses at that manifold had a piece of marking tape wrapped around the hose right at the hose fitting crimp, and that marking tape had markings such as A1, A2, V1, V2. You really need to see if those marking tapes are on the hoses, may even been painted over in later years.
You need to change the hoses on the manifold that stands straight up with the six small pressure switches on it, stay away from the one with the coloured zip ties. If you disconnect the plugs going on to the small pressure sensors one by one it will bring up a fault on the dash make a note of what sensor is for each function e.g. Boom up, arm in etc. Then swap the pipes on the cab side of the manifold. If you swap boom up with arm in, and boom down with arm out it will work for you
Thanks so much fellas!
Well I was wrong about the hose markings, I think I got confused with Case. Kobelco notes the connections to the pilot manifold with B...B1, B2, B3, etc. Here's the pilot manifold diagram from an SK350, your machine should be layed out similar. On your machine, with the manifold mounted vertical, the top hose connection should be B1. The hoses you want to swap...swap B3 with B7, and B4 with B8. But before you do that, looks like the hoses have a nice coat of yellow paint on them, take a Sharpie and mark each hose, B3, B4, B7, B8, that way you know where you pulled them from if you need to go back to Cat excavator control pattern, or if we don't have this right.
Willie, who is better than you??!! Thanks so much for your help, I will be looking Into it this weekend and will report back, thanks again!