Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

490D lost joystick sensitivity

timberjack40 ยท 2014-02-01 19:33

i have a 490D THE JOYSTICKS HAVE LOST SENSITIVITY U HAVE TO PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY TO MAKE THEM WORK

Replies16
  1. #1RZucker2014-02-01 19:59

    Do you have a plugged control filter? Im going by Case experience, but it seems if i remember right they had a filter for the joysticks and a regulator to control the pessure.

  2. #2uffex2014-02-02 05:08

    Good day timberjack40 Check the servo pressure (input normally about 40bars.- 560 p.s.i) then check the lines to the main valves should be about the same at full lever movement (Output often referred to as pilot pressure). If you need more detailed information how to check out the contra lever/ valves go to excatech.com Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3timberjack402014-02-02 10:30

    thanks for the info i will give it a try

  4. #4timberjack402014-02-02 10:32

    thank you for your info i will check it out

  5. #5tuney4432014-02-02 12:32

    If your excavator has that pilot control filter like mine,it might be dirty.Despite what Deere says, it is completely cleanable with brakeleen,no need to buy a VERY expensive new one.

  6. #6TreeHogger2014-02-17 11:16

    Greetings Skull-Finder, I too enjoy discovering prehistoric mammal parts, but that's an aside... So, for the pilot filter, just spin it off - and there's a screen in there that may be separated from the housing/canister??? Thanks, Mark

  7. #7JackDeere2014-03-04 22:21

    Check the that hold the handle to the control valve. If the plate that pushes on the valves is backed off you would have to push the handle further to activate a function.

  8. #8TreeHogger2014-03-27 13:31

    Tuney443 - So, for the pilot filter, just spin it off - and there's a screen in there that may be separated from the housing/canister??? Thanks, Mark

  9. #9Deeretracks2014-03-27 15:06

    Mark, yes unscrew the aluminum can and you'll see a filter hanging from the filter head. Grab it and pull straight down, it's just hanging by the oring seal. Replace it with a new one. They are not reuseable. Do not buy a Napa or Wix (same filter) they will collapse. Only use an OEM filter.

  10. #10TreeHogger2014-04-05 09:40

    Okay - ordered one from the dealer... other than checking to ensure the O-ring is disposed of, and proper hygiene, is there any other 'tricks'? E.g. prefilling to minimize air - or just push on? Can I do this with the reservoir full - just have rags down and move quickly??? Thanks DeereTracks!

  11. #11Deeretracks2014-04-06 01:26

    No tricks, it will only dribble a little oil. No need to prefill it. Just push the element in then put a bit of oil on the canister oring and screw it on. Easy peasy. They can be pretty tight so have a socket/breaker bar handy.

  12. #12TreeHogger2014-04-06 10:51

    Okay, I appreciate the good advice...(and dislike being pesky, but), when you say have a 'socket/breaker bar' handy, I get confused... I am referring to the vertical canister next to the hydraulic reservoir. Apparently you are referring to "socket" that would go over the tin canister??? Meaning it may be so tight that a human cannot spin it off without mechanical leverage - yes? Thanks again, Mark

  13. #13tuney4432014-04-06 14:04

    I was referring only to a fairly small filter that looks like an oversized home burner fuel nozzle,brass,that's cleanable and attached to my hydraulic valve bank. Looks on the outside like an acorn shape screwed into that bank.Sounds like yours might be different,not sure.

  14. #14Deeretracks2014-04-06 15:39

    Mark, there should be a 1-1/16" hex on the bottom of that can that you can put a socket on. Most of the time a filter wrench won't get them loose. Aluminum threads tend to get very tight over time. I see them all the time that have had a chain wrench or pipe wrench used on them but they get all chewed up.

  15. #15TreeHogger2014-04-08 13:26

    Ahh yes, discovered the hex head on the bottom last night - after I got the canister off. Remarkable, I unscrewed it by hand, and the manual indicated about 20 foot pounds, so I didn't re-tighten too tight. Odd though, that the filter (made in Mexico, ordered from the dealer), had two large O-rings in the package ( slightly different sizes too)... I replaced the one, and hopefully it stayed up there as I screwed the canister back... I am hoping that I didn't overlook the second O-ring somehow. The Operator's Manual showed a somewhat different filter receptacle, so I am thinking there was a mid-year production change, wherein one configuration required two O-rings(?). Thanks for the good advice! ~ Mark

  16. #16Deeretracks2014-04-08 13:39

    You are correct in only changing 1 oring. Deere/Hitachi used the same filter on a 80% of their machines. If I remember correctly the small JD hystat loaders sub to the same filter but use the other oring. I like helping guys here, it reminds me I actually know some stuff. Half the time at work I'm baffled.