Hi, I have problems with my Bobcat 331 2006mod excavators. During start-up it only runs for a couple of seconds before it stops. The error code replied is 14-02 and from the manual: "Fuel shut off hold solenoid short to batter". I have disassembled the solenoid and measure it. The resistance between one of the connectors and ground is 16ohm (assume this is the coil, and for me this seems like a reasonable value). The other connector is tied to supply level when the rod is physically out (the coil is not energized) and tied to ground level when the rod is in (the coil is energized). Assume this is some kind of feedback to the control system? Are this values correct? I have also checked the fuel pull relay and this switch like it suppose to. Could it be other things that making trouble for me?
Welcome to HEF jjjj. :usa What's your machine serial number, I'll see if I can get some info to help you out.
Tnx for reply Willie, The serial number is *234413126*. The electrical drawings for this machine would also be very helpful in further trouble shooting of the problem.
Hmm, that's curious, the chart I'm looking at says code 14-02 is "fuel shutoff pull solenoid error on", meaning, you have an error in the line voltage to fuel solenoid pull coil when powering up the solenoid (on). Which makes sense with the problem you're having. In your serial number range, it shows an early solenoid version (self grounding coil with two wires), and a later version with three wires, hold, pull, and ground. When you turn on ignition, the ECM sends voltage to wire 8150 (hold) at the fuel solenoid. At the same time the ECM sends voltage (wire 8110) to trigger the fuel relay in the fuse box. Relay trips and sends voltage to wire 8100 (pull) at solenoid and a sensory voltage signal back to ECM on wire 8120. That sensory voltage is most likely what the ECM is noticing is wrong and shuts down engine then gives you a code. In normal conditions, no problems, the voltage on wire 8110 from ECM to fuel relay is only on for a few seconds, then it's turned off by ECM. Your problem is likely a failed solenoid, it's not uncommon on those engines. The ohms value of the solenoid coil is shown on the diagram. Oh, BTW, on the wiring, once you go through connector C101, it typically changes from wire numbers to wire color. On the solenoids, red wire is typically the hold coil, white wire is pull coil, and black wire is ground.
Hi, I have measured the voltage and I am missing the hold voltage from the ECM (only the pull voltage is present for a short time). I have checked the wiring and seems to be okay. Could it be some inputs to the ECM that is making problems, and preventing the ECM to send out the hold voltage? Do you have any drawings of the ECM and the corresponding input/outputs?
Try looking where the harness goes through the clamp near the top of the engine. The vibrations rub through the harness and shorts alot of things out. I'll bet that's where you'll find the problem
Ok, I'm still uncertain of the code, but given what you describe, code 14-02 "fuel solenoid hold short to battery" seems more logical. That means the circuit for the hold coil is at system battery voltage, which with engine running can be 14 V +/-. Anything related to the BICS system will be less than running system battery voltage, what that voltage will be is controlled by the ECM and depends on the component involved, but it will be less than engine running battery voltage. If this is the situation that's correct, the ECM is sensing excessive voltage on wire 8150. It could be internally wires in the harness that have rubbed together and into each other as suggested by Jrd equipment, it could be faulty fuel solenoid from internal short between hold and pull coils, could even be ECM, but that's rare. I don't know how you're testing the hold coil circuit, but I don't think you can test it with plug connector disconnected from fuel solenoid. I'm thinking ECM notices that disconnect and then doesn't power up the circuit. You need to test the circuit with harness connected to solenoid and probe the wire. You may be able to test continuity between white and red wires of solenoid, there shouldn't be any communication between the two. I've patched together the wiring from the J1 and J4 connectors at the ECM to the fuel relay and fuel solenoid. I hope this helps.
Hi. I have just found your post from 2014 about fuel solenoid error in bobcat excavator. I looks like I have same problem. Can you please let me know how did you resolve this problem. Your quick feedback will be appreciated.
Hi, I also have a 2004 331 G series ex and much like the original post mine dies within seconds of it starting. It did give me a code 14-02 so I ran to the dealership and grabbed a new fuel shutoff solenoid. After the 1 minute install I tried to start the machine but nothing has changed....I have checked fuses and relays and they are good. Anyways hopefully someone sees this wouldnt mind helping me out. I have done abit of testing with multi meter.
Hey I have a update on mine. After chasing wires all over looking for a short or a rub and finding nothing I was going to start removing the harnesses. When I was unplugging the fuel shut off solonoid I noticed a couple drops of water come out. So I got my air tank and started blow drying it. When I got to unplugging the main engine harness from the cab harness at the bottom underneath all the hydraulic hoses. Again I found when I unplugged it I had some drops of water in there. So again i blew it all out and now I'm thinking i better plug it in and check and bam it is all good again. I was so confused because with multimeter I knew there was a short and I had under power on the hold. I will go get some electric grease for those plugs and hopefully will be good now.