We have a Hyster roller with a 4BTA-3.9 Cummins Engine that is in need of overhaul or replacement. I have been getting quotes on used engines and rebuilt engines. In my searches, I found two guys who have new long blocks at a pretty reasonable price, cheaper than a rebuilt. Problem is they are both a little vague on describing the engines. I called Cummins and got some quotes from them and they said that Cummins never made a long block for the 3.9 so now I'm not sure what's the deal. I've heard that I need to be careful because Cummins made a lot of these engines with many different arrangements and often bolt holes, etc... won't line up from engine to engine. I guess these engines are "surplus"? my guess is that they came from some truck or machine manufacturer who ended up discontinuing using the engine in their lineup. Makes me wonder how old the engine is also.. The arrangement number for my engine is 595 (though Cummins insist that it should be a 594 when they crossed my serial number. So what are your thoughts? Any experience with this engine would be helpful. You think I'm just better off rebuilding our existing engine? Block would need to be bored and sleeves installed if so... Thanks for your help!
Cost to rebuild will be similar to exchange - it's the downtime that makes rebuilding more expensive. One of my customers puchased a complete engine & I rebuilt it & then we swapped it over in a day. - still have his old one, pity we aren't a little closer
It always cheaper to keep her,tear it down,send all of it to machine shop,bore,service cyl head,hot tank everything,bolts too,get it back clean,let them get the kit and then build it your self /// then you know what u got! I have one in a 97 chevy k-3500 4 door, love it !
your self/ then keep a clean air filter,and good oil!