Hey, I'm a design student in Ottawa, Ontario. I am completing my thesis project on impact protection. My focus is on skid steers and other small equipment. I'm looking for ways to protect the hands and wrists of operators during environmental impact inside the cab. I'm looking to chat with people in the industry about their experience and possible opportunities for protecting operators. Please reply to this thread with any advice you have. Cheers!
Why would you need gloves for environmental impact in a cab? If I'm in a cab and need gloves the cab needs fixed.
I was more thinking post market modifications to the machines, like wrist supports or different controls. I'm primarily looking into ways to prevent strain on the wrist when equipment is bumping on uneven terrain. But I agree with your point, a lot of my research has pointed to these impacts mostly being caused by maintenance issues rather than the design of the machine.
I would say a lot depends on the type of controls. My older skid steer uses levers to move the spools directly, and after a day of use the repetitive motion can wear out the forearm muscles. Machines with pilot controls are a lot easier on the operator.