Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5.9 Shut down cable

Old Doug ยท 2014-03-06 19:25

Is there some one that makes a kit to replace the selonoid with a cable on a 5.9 cummins in a dodge pickup?

Replies5
  1. #1390eric2014-03-06 22:10

    I would look up something for sled pulling trucks. I know a lot of built 5.9s for sled pulling run a shut off cable for safety.

  2. #2Knepptune2014-03-07 16:49

    A five dollar cable from napa will work. I don't know of a kit but I've put deleted fuel solenoids on a fair amount of heavy equipment. I think the biggest challenge would be running it through the fire wall and making it look good on the dash. That's if your truck has the external solenoid.

  3. #3amazincaucasian2014-03-08 10:29

    I did this and it works great. Just a choke cable is what I used like knepptune said. Put it out of sight and it doubles as an anti-theft tool as well

  4. #4Thomasdiesel2014-03-12 17:24

    If your truck is an earlier dodge with the VE rotory pump, there is a lever for shut off which is unused. The shut off solinoid is at the rear of pump near pump head. the unused shut off lever is more toward the front on top. Hook you cable to this lever. You will have to remove the solinoid and remove the plunger from inside, then reinstall solinoid without the plunger. The engine will start then, but will only shut off with the manual lever.

  5. #5Old Doug2014-03-12 20:26

    I was asking about this for a buddy but also because i have replaced several selonoids in the past. He has ordered one that was alot ceaper than the one he looked at locally. It looks easy to rig up a cable but right now i have more than i can get done maybe his cheap one will work.