Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5 ton mini excavator thumb question

Cmark ยท 2014-06-28 01:20

Hey all. I'm in the process of building a cheap thumb to go on a 5 ton mini for a one off rock wall job. How important would you say it is for the thumb to have some sort of curve or serrations at the end for grip, or will I get away with just leaving it flat?

Replies13
  1. #1lantraxco2014-06-28 01:38

    For rock you're going to want both, a curve with some teeth or notches to grip hard irregular objects.

  2. #2Ronsii2014-06-28 02:01

    If you don't want to go with a curve just put a good sized tooth or lip at the end of the thumb at least 3-4 inches would be my minimum for rock work.

  3. #3Cmark2014-06-28 06:49

    Thanks for the advice folks. If it doesn't look too shoddy I'll take a photo when it's done.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2014-06-28 14:32

    Yair . . . I'm sure we'll see a photo then, judging by your other work it is not going to turn out too shoddy. (big grin) Cheers.

  5. #5Cmark2014-07-02 02:56

    Here we go. Took about a day to build. Spent more time turning the bosses and boring the holes than doing the fabricating.

  6. #6stumpjumper832014-07-02 07:40

    For a one timer it looks good. For me, my thumb is priceless, I'm always using it. Id hate to have to live without it and I have a hydraulic one.

  7. #7DigDirt2014-07-09 16:08

    Thumb looks great!

  8. #8Ronsii2014-07-09 23:22

    Looks like it will get the job done!!! I give it a 'Thumbs Up'

  9. #9ttazzman2014-07-10 00:36

    done some rock work myself with a fixed thumb.....i have moved a lot of large sandstone boulders with a thumb and had some breakage due to the amount of grip required would sometimes split the stone.......is there a option on a thumb where it has some give to it?

  10. #10maddog2014-07-10 06:35

    nice job

  11. #11DigDirt2014-07-10 07:55

    If you use a wider thumb you should have less breakage, because you are spreading the pressure point over a larger area.

  12. #12CM19952014-07-10 21:06

    Looks good Cmark, nice fab work!

  13. #13JBGASH2014-07-10 21:15

    Cmark, nice looking job on that thumb, it will come in handy.