I know a lot of folks have gotten burned when buying an older machine that break vs renting but we have a few house lots to clear, foundations to dig, etc over the next few years and it may be time to buy a used machine. We do not need to move it often so a larger machine is fine. I am familiar with most excavators in the mini world but not much larger than 20K lbs. Is there a handful of models that are just know to be the most bullet proof? Cat 320 and 325? I have seen some nice used 320s for $50-60k for example. I know this is a loaded question, but if you were to buy a machine in that size and price range what would it be? Thanks!
Easiest way to answer your own question is to look at prices on the various auction houses. When you make an account on Ritchie Bros, Iron Planet, GovPlanet (all same parent company), they allow you to see sold prices on equipment from the past two years. It's good to see prices in your area compared to everywhere else. While not a perfect system, this will give you a good idea of base prices for a given machine model in various conditions with various features/add-ons. All of my equipment is pre-emissions and mostly pre-electronics. While they may be old, I can generally fix them without need for computerized diagnostics.
Machinery Trader is a good place to see asking prices from dealers. Auction prices can be all over the place and issues might not be apparent. Better dealers will do a more extensive inspection.
https://kalispell.craigslist.org/hvo/d/kalispell-excavator-koering-505/7821833463.html There's a nice older machine. Engine sounds good. transport will be another issue.
47ft reach, i dont think so
Are you kidding? An old old Koehring with a screaming Detroit and next to zero parts availability. Also old style undercarriage and track drive. Highly doubt it's a 2 1/2yd. bucket as well. It might be worth it if the 2 was taken off the price but even that could be wishful thinking. Probably better to try and sell the engine out of it if you could find someone looking.
I know, that has to be a joke post, right?
To answer your question, I can't think of a model that is straight up bulletproof. I have operated many 200 class machines that were very reliable while I was in the seat, anyway. I would focus on parts support and condition of the machine, and is it equipped just the way you want. In other words, don't but a straight stick and then pay out the nose for a progressive thumb install, or settle for some half assed thumb set up if you really want a thumb. If you think you need a 200~300 with thumb, don't screw around with a half assed setup. Get a properly equipped machine.
I hope he isn't the seller. That would be about the last machine you'd want to buy. Guessing it's mid to late 60's. Not long after cable hoes were replaced by hydraulic hoes. Several much newer and much better machines in the OP's budget.
hey It does have a progressive thumb
Imagine that in winter or even in mud with no grousers?! Fine to bring to the antique show, but trying to use a 60+ yr old machine for work will be a major challenge. Good luck on parts. We have a Keorhering waterous head on a late 90s feller buncher and it's obsolete. Was so probably by early 2000s.
The smooth pads are the least of its problems.
No, I'm not the seller, sorry to get everyone's ruffles up. It was meant as a joke - since it's one of the most antiquated machines I've seen in a while.
I saw another ad for it and the price went down to $25,000. It has a 2yd. bucket and is a 1963. It was the biggest American hoe at the time. From what I could find 39' reach. The 505 also came as a Skooper with a shovel bucket. Guy is selling it for a friend who passed away I think. His wife wants it gone. Interesting machine for a museum but not worth much.
Average size machine around here for Exc or Demo work is a 30t, will see a few 20t but those are fading fast. Prices at least in Midwest will run from mid $20s to higher $50s depending on accessories included or least time with wear and tear levels. Abused machines will stand out, Excessive repair welds, Buckets, lift arms, attachment points, changed cylinders, ignoring aged hoses or rails and rollers that could stand replaced yet are still being pushed to fail prior to repair, Filth knee deep everywhere as no time taken to care for.
A nice older Cat 225 would fit the bill just fine. A 325 would be even better but maybe a bit too big.
Agree with HarleyHappy that an older Cat before emissions in the 20-25t range would be a solid machine. I love my 325BL but it I got lucky with it as it wasn't a typical construction machine that was rode hard and put up wet by the previous owner. Buying a nice used machine for the right price takes patience...and lots of it. After a bit a thinking of my experience buying my 325BL, I have a few more thoughts. I know you have experience with smaller machines so no offense meant if this sounds a bit simple but hopefully it will also be good to someone else down the road with less experience than you but in the same situation. -First, make a list of reasons and tasks why you want to purchase a used machine. These are specific tasks like remove trees, dig basements, set culverts, hammer rock, etc. Make sure you use accurate specs like "remove a hundred 24 inch diameter at the base oak stumps and trees" which is a lot different from "remove a couple dozen 6 inch diameter pine trees". -Use the above tasks to determine the specs of your machine (the folks here will be your sounding board of truth and reality so don't be shy to ask). This will determine mainly size but the tasks should also determine what attachments and add-ons you need. For instance, I'm willing to bet you "want" a thumb but do you "need" a stationary thumb, a simple hydraulic thumb, or a progressive monster that can crush and perform demo work? I have a simple hydraulic thumb (it's pretty beefy) but I realized that I can only really use it to pull stumps that are close to the machine when I've crowded the dipper enough to let the bucket close on it in a vertical position. After this step, you should have a list of "must haves" and "want to haves" for a machine. -The above will then let you know what to look for when you shop. From my experience, it's financially prohibitive to add items like hydraulic thumbs or especially auxiliary hydraulics to an older machine. You might get away with adding a coupler but don't think it will be a simple "slap it on and use it" task as older machines usually don't have a lot of additional hydraulic ports and the pressures may be lower than needed. And every seller will say the same: "You want a hammer? Sure just add a couple hoses and a footswitch and you're good to go!" Nope!!!! Same with pin-out dimensions. There may be very limited bucket and attachment options depending on pin-outs. And the older you get, it's probably less and less options available. -After all this, do your research on prices and make a budget. Factor in all the items like purchase price, auction fees, transportation, immediate repairs, maintenance, along with a reserve for future repairs and maintenance. Again, the folks here can inject a good healthy dose of reality to any budget. Same with specific machine models and brands, etc. Lots of experience here to help avoid a potential pitfall. -Lastly, enjoy working a beast when it arrives. Cheers!
^ thanks for fleshing out my " buy it properly equipped" statement. It is rarely simple to do.
^Yes it is hard, and it's way harder to do when you don't exactly know what you really need to begin with. That was my situation as a beginner making my first purchase in heavy yellow iron. I was never an operator nor owner so I really was jumping in kinda blind when I bought my 325BL. Like I said, looking back I got really lucky with my machine and I now realize it could have been very bad (expensive) for me. At least Birdman has some experience...he's starting off way better than I did.
$50-60K budget for a dependable 50K lb trackhoe? Easy - 320DL track hoe. 320DL Owned 2 - C models, 3 - D's, 1 - F and currently a Next Gen. Most unreliable one was the 325FL. Still have one of the D's, a 321DL with over 8K hours we use as a spare.
We have a lot of hours on early-mid 2000’s Hitachi (Deere similar/same; depending on model) ZX series. Super reliable, smooth hydraulics & Isuzu engines (of that era) are fuel efficient and very reliable. No emissions, yet clean burning… Can do a lot of work with a 12 ton, but a 20 ton has more reach/weight & still easy to move…
Agree. I've got a ton of hours in a late 90s 200 and bit newer 330.
A local scrap yard took in 2 identical Koehring excavators, both in decent, operable condition and they've been using them around the yard. Big machines, no clue on weight. They have Isuzu engines, so probably later model machines.