Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

50 size komatsu

hmover ยท 2008-04-23 23:54

Was looking for a backhoe but around here the excavator seem much more available.How would you check one out at a auction .Lots brought in from Japan.PC 50UU parts are they avaiable from Komatsu or grey market problems???Dealers of grey market stuff say no problem with komatsu I heafor get grey market kubota.

Replies23
  1. #1Goat2008-04-27 11:15

    I can tell you from experience that you will struggle finding US sourced parts for your grey market Komatsu. Komatsu in Newberry will not help. Some dealers have outside sources for parts but I do not know any.

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-04-27 11:52

    Komatsu's are the Cat of Japan, trust me, they don't break down unless you break them yourself, all the Grey Market machines here are 100% trouble free.

  3. #3humboldt deere2008-04-27 14:49

    Ron I hope you're being sarcastic, some people might take that seriously.

  4. #4bobcat ron2008-04-27 15:01

    Nope, that's the truth, here, anyways, maybe the US market gets all the crap that's left over after the cream of the crop gets shipped to Canada first, seeing as how we are more laid back as to what comes into our great nation!

  5. #5humboldt deere2008-04-27 15:20

    Machines that come from overseas may or may not show up in great shape, but all machines be it cat or komatsu, hitachi, whatever can and will break down if you use them. I think I said this in another post but parts availability can be hit or miss. Even if the part is available(and they usually are)It can be nearly impossible to find out which part number you need. Lots of people I know have run grey market machines, and it works for them, but if you can't deal with lengthy downtime due to parts availability don't go with GM.

  6. #6woodchuck22008-04-29 18:43

    My Sumitomo is a grey market machine. The only place i have been able to get parts for it is through Dominion Equipment and the parts come directly from Japan. It has an Isuzu engine and runs great, no leaks at all and it has 5921 hours right now. It needs pins/bushings for the bucket which is expected. I needs some more parts for it right now but it will have to wait until things slow down first, i can run it the way it is for now. I would strongly recommend buying here in the states though. You can buy a new 8k lb Kubota with a thumb for $40k and have it warrantied locally.

  7. #7Partsdude2008-05-07 18:32

    I have been ordering parts for a PC50UU-2 and have had no issues getting them. Nothing other than the usual wait in getting things through the US/Canada border that is.

  8. #8John C.2008-05-08 00:44

    The gray market machine parts situation is basically set up by the manufacturers themselves. In my experience they break down this way: Komatsu, you can get any part you can get a number for. Odd ball stuff like computers for depth measurement systems and auto grease systems usually don't have Komatsu part numbers so you will be very lucky to fix one of those systems if they break. Boom cylinders on excavators can be a problem because some gray market units have different diameter cylinder barrels. Main control valves are trouble on all their machines so gray market is just a continuation of the problem. Large castings are also always a problem. Hitachi is like Komatsu in that if you can get a part number you can get the part. I've never had a problem getting anything in a reasonable amount of time for a Hitachi. Sumitomo, Case, Link-Belt: Case/Link-Belt have had contractural agreements with Sumitomo about never allowing the Sumitomo brand in the US. I have not found a dealer that will sell parts for a Sumitomo painted or identified machine. If you need parts then buy the Case/Link-Belt parts book and get your numbers from there. You will also have to give the parts person a Case/Link-Belt serial number, which will also require a Sumitomo serial number for them to find the correct part in their system. If you run across a Sumitomo painted in Case of Link-Belt colors, steer clear. Both manufacturers will file trademark infringement law suits when and if they find out. Caterpillar: Cat will sell you any part that you have a part number for. You may or may not receive cooperation when calling the dealer for help identifying a part. There are differences in cabs for US machines and gray market machines. You may have to wait weeks for a new cab or windows and the Cat dealer will have problems identifying them. Cat does not list parts support of gray market machines in their parts systems so the dealer has few options in helping you. Gray market Kobelcos are becoming lost children. When New Holland took over the line and started building them in Georgia they divorced themselves from all the grays that came into the US in years past. If you find a dealer that can source information or parts please post their names so we can use them. Samsung machines have been taken over by Volvo and the parts situation is almost like the Kobelco mess. The dealers are at least a little more sympathetic to your plight but may not have access to any information on the grays. Hyundai, I've have not found a dealer in these machines yet who hasn't gone broke in short order. I don't know of a dealer in the Northwest. These usually came into the country as domestic product so if you find a dealer still in business you should be able to get parts. I wouldn't buy one without making sure of a dealer first. These are the manufacturers that I have dealt with the most. I probably have missed one or two so feel free to remind me and I might have some experience or information. Good Luck!

  9. #9captain charlie2009-10-21 23:48

    I have a parts book for a 1992ish Hitachi Ex 50 URG. gray market machine, the part book is a little help but i sure could use the correct manual. Anybody willing to share thier copy with me. I think the Ex 50 UR and the URG are close cousins. the Ex 50U is newer i know that much, i don't understand the last lettering part andbody have a clue about this. Thanks Charlie

  10. #10thebig450es2009-10-22 09:58

    I have the mechainics manual for my PC50uu-1, but i don't have the owners manual , id like to have the specs for my machine.

  11. #11captain charlie2009-10-23 15:26

    it take it you have a gray market machine also, does your mechanics manual have a picture of the machine anywhere. i have a picture of mine here. we could trade parts/mechanics manuals if you like. regards charlie

  12. #12thebig450es2009-10-23 22:56

    Here is mine

  13. #13captain charlie2009-10-24 02:23

    They look similar, does that machine have a 3 cyl. Isuzu 3AB1 in it for power. The serial number location on the machine i have is just under the boom to the right and the serial number on the engine block is on the right hand side, fan forward. Does the mechanic manual tell about the engine. i have a red light that's always when its running it looks like a spray kinda sign, engine seem to run fine though.

  14. #14captain charlie2009-10-25 23:16

    I took a picture of the idiot lights on the ex50urg I understand all but one (probably the most important one) its the fourth one over from the left between the battery and the preheat lights. This light stays on all the time except for when the engine is shut down and key on. Is this a good sign or a bad sign. thanks Charlie

  15. #15John C.2009-10-25 23:35

    That light indicates a plugged air filter. Those are usually two wire sensors and I have had problems witht them. If the air filters are not plugged you can disconnect the harness plug and put a jumper wire across the two ends and the light should go out. That would indicate you need a new sensor. If the light doesn't go out you probably have a short in the wiring. Good Luck!

  16. #16captain charlie2009-10-28 15:42

    Thanks was a broken connection right at the sensor, go figure if i hadn't touched the wire it would still be hanging there. Thanks

  17. #17thebig450es2009-10-29 10:36

    I need ti install lights on it, i think the previous owner broke the light off. im thinking of about 10-15amps of lights, since my alt is 40 amps

  18. #18captain charlie2009-10-30 00:34

    that's a lot of light, i just put 100 watts lights back on mine. At twenty bucks a pop i thought they were a good deal, bolted one on and had to make a bracket for the other one. you could plant grass after your done digging and the seeds would get a good head start with the light power your going to install.

  19. #19AKSnowbear2009-12-20 02:22

    I have a D31A-18 dozer. The local Komatsu dealer has been very unhelpful. Even when I give him a part # (I have the book), he says "That # doesn't show up in my computer." Of course, he says the same thing about my machine.... I am now in need of some parts that I noted during the current PM. Though not critical yet, I'll need them by summer. So here I am searching the 'net and joining this forum hoping to find a reliable source

  20. #20special tool2009-12-20 07:52

    Why are you so surprised about his light power? 10-15 amps on a 12 volt system is 120-180 watts. You don't have a 24 volt system on these little 50's, do you?

  21. #21joispoi2009-12-20 13:45

    Komatsu changed some of their part numbers. Your dealer may have the updated part numbers and not know or care that they used to be labeled differently. You need to find the cross reference index (on principle, your dealer should) .

  22. #22thebig450es2009-12-20 14:06

    Im going to need to replace some of me U/C soon, the rollers aren't moveing very well.

  23. #23captain charlie2009-12-26 18:53

    ah ya sorry i was some place else when i read the post i think the amps part got me i figured the answer was 1500 watts for some reason. i think these motors only have a 10 amp alternator on them to begin with, here just let me open my mouth again to change feet. happy boxing day