Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

500 IHC crawler

mopar ยท 2019-11-09 20:55

with these pics can anyone tell me if this a 500 crawler

Replies21
  1. #1Ronsii2019-11-09 22:14

    Hard to say..... do your pics resemble this one?

  2. #2mopar2019-11-10 00:43

    yes I think so wish my pics would show cant seem to make that part work

  3. #3Ronsii2019-11-10 08:52

    Just hit the 'upload a file' button on the bottom... don't try to use the pic icon.

  4. #4mopar2019-11-10 11:11

    pics of 50

  5. #5mopar2019-11-10 11:13

    so these are pics of what I have looked at in a scrap yard, but do not know what it is?

  6. #6Ronsii2019-11-10 13:58

    It does look like a regular 500.

  7. #7Mother Deuce2019-11-10 14:23

    Nice!

  8. #8mopar2019-11-10 14:37

    I thought it mite be. I do have some more pics if necessary. however the pins and bushings are totally wore out. I don't know much about the rest. I would think at best it is only worth scrap prices as that's where it is in a scrap yard. thanks for the info.

  9. #9Ronsii2019-11-10 15:02

    You can be assured the motor is probably toast and depending on how much water has got into the tranny and... whether or not it has froze too.... the good thing is since it's an IHC there is a good following and some aftermarket stuff is available, and a lot of things were interchangeable with other red stuff

  10. #10Mother Deuce2019-11-10 15:21

    https://newlondon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/dayville-60s-bulldozer/7015662343.html Track tensioner is all the way and there is a bag at the sprocket... the one you found might be better than this one.

  11. #11Ronsii2019-11-10 17:00

    I think that's a bit newer or different model???

  12. #12Mother Deuce2019-11-10 17:06

    T 340 I think.

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-11-10 18:32

    You were thinking of fixing it up to running condition? It looks like quite the basket case.

  14. #14mopar2019-11-10 22:30

    well if it is still there in the spring may see if it runs and go from there

  15. #15Ronsii2019-11-10 23:05

    Well.... from the pics I seriously doubt it runs....

  16. #16epirbalex2019-11-11 00:10

    Dash picture and gear stick look much the same a TD5 , one little difference is there is no dimond shaped plate screwed to the lower firewall covering where the steering colume comes out on the wheel tractor front end as that what was the motor used on to . The pump in front of the radiator is different to the TD5 as that was on the side of the motor . Is the reverse and 2nd gear line up ? This could be a late model TD5 . Its looks rough , but not as rough looking as mine and it went every day it was needed . When I sold mine in "89 one of the guys interested bought a 500 instead , it had a power shift transmission in it , he showed me a very expensive part for it after it broke down , meanwhile my old dozer just kept going .

  17. #17Welder Dave2019-11-11 00:31

    No exhaust pipe, air cleaner removed, cobbled together suction line on pump, mangled radiator, sitting for XXX amount of time and who knows what else. The fact it is partly taken apart tells me it has some serious problems or else it would have been repaired. If you're looking for a cheap dozer, I don't think this is the one you want.

  18. #18epirbalex2019-11-11 00:40

    yep , all that to , but the throttle lever is down , most likely had to stop it so should start .

  19. #19Ronsii2019-11-11 10:01

    No, the throttle lever is down because the linkage is missing and gravity holds it there Unless you personally moved it... like many a guy before you

  20. #20epirbalex2019-11-12 18:26

    Bit of a laugh , warning needle moved over abit . There are a lot of things you can do with out incurring costs to see if it could be made a runner .

  21. #21Ronsii2019-11-12 19:57

    If you have a few hours to spend looking it over and maybe wrenching a few things open there is a lot you could find out whether is buggered or not... but just from experience and what I saw in the pics you put up I would seriously doubt that will run (motor or undercarriage) without serious $$$ pumping