Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B or 931B

AllDodge · 2019-11-10 20:11

Anyone know the thickness or the clutch plates and disc on a D3B or 931B?

Replies18
  1. #1Old Magnet2019-11-11 00:45

    New 6 drive and 7 driven discs = 1.785 to 1.939 inches. Minimum 1.530 inches.

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-11-11 00:54

    Might depend on if they are wet or dry. I don't think wet were as common so maybe OM could verify if they are the same or not.

  3. #3AllDodge2019-11-11 07:45

    They are wet, float in oil Thanks

  4. #4AllDodge2019-11-11 09:08

    I have right at 2 inches and 10 driven and 9 drive disk Put in a call to Whayne in Corbin to talk to Andy before I bring them in

  5. #5Bluox2019-11-11 10:34

    Don't have the measure but the count is about right for oil clutches. Bob

  6. #6AllDodge2019-11-11 11:19

    Sent Andy a pic and hes thinking the clutch may not be the issue. Im going to take them to Wayne and tehy will have a look. Said if they don't need fixing then no charge. Told them thanks but should pay something for their time

  7. #7Old Magnet2019-11-11 11:35

    Oil clutches use different drive and driven units and the count is 9 and 9 (for 931B 25Yxxxx). There is also an optional special disc used on some. Sorry I don't have the dimensions either.

  8. #8Welder Dave2019-11-11 11:43

    I have a 25Y 931B with dry clutches. I think there was also a conversion kit available to make them wet clutches. Having Cat take a look is a good idea.

  9. #9Nige2019-11-11 11:57

    Thickness of nine new driving discs and nine new driven discs and one new driven disc ... 52.39 ± 1.80 mm (2.063 ± .071 in) Thickness of one new 6Y7914 Disc ... 3.45 ± 0.13 mm (.136 ± .005 in) Thickness of one new 5K8616 Disc ... 1.905 ± .05 mm (.0750 ± .002 in) Thickness of one new 5V0593 Disc ... 4.19 ± 0.18 mm (.165 ± .007 in) It appears as though this tractor has been changed to oil clutches at some time in its life. It is shown with 6 & 7 in the Parts Manual Hope that helps.

  10. #10Old Magnet2019-11-11 12:54

    The 10 & 9 disc oil clutch pack is listed as an attachment in my 931B 25Y parts book.

  11. #11Nige2019-11-11 13:08

    If the "As Built" for the OP's machine 27Y03918 is correct then it originally left the factory with dry clutches. See below. Of course the possibility exists that the info put into the system 30+ years ago may be incorrect. It surely won't be the first time.

  12. #12Old Magnet2019-11-11 13:34

    Agreed, the 27Y (6S3528) was my original Parts Book response.

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-11-11 15:21

    Could it be a case like the build sheet for my 931B that shows the standard hyd. gear pump but then another option sheet shows the higher capacity piston pump for the backhoe which I have.

  14. #14AllDodge2019-11-11 18:40

    It may have been converted over, I don't know. I do know the clutch was removed at one time because there when some off brand bolts used in reassembly. I'm hoping the clutch disc where glazed and therefore not holding. If its not that then its the torque converter or trans. Don't want to pull the trans but guess I will if need be And Andy said that there is 9 drive and driven plates and one other plate "called something else" making 19 total. Also he came right up with what I had without even knowing it was in oil, so it probably came that way even though the as-built said other

  15. #15Bluox2019-11-11 19:18

    Your oil clutches were a popular update on those tractors .I missed why you pulled them out? You might buy the 4 springs and the 12 or so seals and rebuild the steering valves, these are known to get sticky and cause steering clutches to slip. good luck Bob

  16. #16AllDodge2019-11-11 19:33

    The only springs are on the pedals and rods. Did see that there was a spring inside where the clutches on the dry type. Mine doesn't have the place to attach a spring inside. The piston cylinders and rods which were fairly loose in the pistons. They could be easily spun by hand, so do think there not hanging. I might rebuild, it wouldn't take much to do it since I've gone this far

  17. #17Bluox2019-11-11 19:45

    You took the steering valves off to take the covers off the clutch compartment ,those valves with all the hoses on them. Bob

  18. #18AllDodge2019-11-11 19:47

    ok