Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

503L Galion

J13301 ยท 2017-01-08 22:25

I just bought this 503L it ran when parked about 3 years ago it has antifreeze in the oil my question is does anyone know what motor this is I can't seem to find any numbers on it.

Replies12
  1. #1bvfdfire2017-01-08 23:12

    its an international d 232, not a bad engine, but does not like cold weather. notorious problems that do plague this engine are warped heads and leaking injector chamber seals. good thing about it, felpro still makes gasket sets for it and injector chamber seals are copper seal rings that come in sets as well.

  2. #2repowerguy2017-01-09 20:27

    Ud-236 ih.

  3. #3FWD2017-01-09 21:59

    That doesn't look at all like the UD236 engine in my 503 Galion. I once heard that some of the L series came with a Waukesha engine. FWD

  4. #4repowerguy2017-01-10 04:32

    I think FWD is right, that isn't a UD. I'll have to check my books to see what Galion offered back when. The other odd thing is the S/N tag says Galion manufacturing and not Dresser division. Oh well, learn something new!

  5. #5J133012017-01-10 16:40

    A Thanks for checking on this any help is appreciated J

  6. #6Razorsedge20032017-01-11 04:05

    I Just found out that mine has a perkins in it. But it's a four cylinder. Also is getting coolant in the oil.

  7. #7repowerguy2017-01-11 06:22

    J13301, I don't see where Galion put a Waukesha in it as a regular option. Galion was a short line manufacturer and may have put one in as a special order for a customer, or they may have ran out of UD's and put a few together with Waukesha's. I know they used them in their rollers some, so who knows? It maybe a good old repower job from someone who needed it to start when it was colder than 50deg. UD's were a bear to start in cool weather! Razorsedge2003, check and see if it has a oil cooler in the filter base, this may very well be your leak. If not I'd say a head gasket is likely.

  8. #8FWD2017-01-11 14:36

    I saw a 503 advertised with a 4cyl John Deere. I'm sure it was a re power though. A lot of the 503's came with a 353 Detroit too, I know I would not like to hear that thing for long. As the machines get older you never know what you'll find. There should be some identification on that engine. FWD

  9. #9J133012017-01-16 13:31

    I finally got time to crawl around on it found some numbers the best I can tell from putting them in google is its a Waukesha Vrd310. Any of you know anything by those? Thanks, j

  10. #10repowerguy2017-01-29 17:34

    I'm sorry, a VRD-283 was a option in a 503L. My error! I looked in my L series book and saw a listing for a Waukesha engine. Hope this is a help.

  11. #1156wrench2017-01-30 16:03

    the waukesha 283 and 310 engines were also used in Oliver farm tractors ( 1750 and 1950t and possibly the 1755 and 1955) . They were prone to cyl liner o'rings leaking coolant into the crankcase. The lower counterbores were usually eroded or cavitated. we just usually repaired the counterbores with JB weld or Belzona and were good to go. Some parts may still be available through your nearest AGCO dealer but may be more expensive than aftermarket. I usually price both just to keep everybody honest

  12. #1256wrench2017-01-30 16:18

    I just remembered that there was also a connecting-rod capscrew update on those engines. They changed up to a special 12-point capscrew and special washer that required grinding the bolt head slightly for rotating clearance, otherwise they would punch a hole through the side of the crankcase. the correct torque spec must be used with the updated bolts. The grinding was done after the bolts were torqued on the final assembly and only enough material was taken off to provide the specified clearance.