Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 118 B Rear Wheel Removal?

sstouder ยท 2017-01-09 16:46

I've got an old 118 B Galion that needs a rear wheel brake cylinder serviced. According to the shop manual that I have you have to jack up the opposite side tandem wheels and remove the near side wheel nut. Then you have to attach a "Knocker" by threading it on the end of the tapered axle. Once that's done you have to hit the "knocker" with a sledge hammer until the axle moves out of the near wheel that needs servicing then let the opposite side wheels down and jack up the near side wheels and remove the wheel. Thus exposing the brake assembly. Can anyone tell me where I might start looking for the appropriate "knocker?" I've never seen (or heard of) one nor do I have any idea where I might get one. Also, is there an alternative way to remove the wheel to service the cylinder? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks. SS

Replies5
  1. #1RMXR2017-01-09 18:23

    Paragraph 4 of this manual refers to the knocker shown on the last page: http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/22.pdf It would be essential to have the end of the shaft section of the knocker hard up against the end of the axle. Another method for wheel removal that I've seen mentioned is to loosen the wheel nut a little, and then drive the grader in a figure 8 pattern until the hub/drum pops loose on the tapered axle. I have never actually used either of these methods so please use this as general advice only. Cheers and good luck, Gary

  2. #2sstouder2017-01-09 18:45

    Thanks Gary. My shop manual shows pretty much the same thing regarding making sure the Knocker is up tight against the end of the axle shaft before you hit it. Makes sense. My problem is: I have no idea where I can purchase or get my hands on a "knocker". I don't even know where to look. I might try that "figure eight" thing... need to think about that a bit. Thanks much for the reply. SS

  3. #3repowerguy2017-01-09 20:25

    I have a post on hub removal on a 503 which is the same concept. Basically you take a hub nut and weld a thick plate of steel at least 1/2" thick and a 1" or so larger in diameter, a frying pan shape will help you get it tight. On a 118, a 16 # hammer will be necessary.

  4. #4Turbotexas2017-02-08 19:07

    Is there an online manual for the Allis Chalmers Model D available like this one?

  5. #5stars&bars442017-04-03 21:36

    I have a 118b as well. I was told to loosen nut and drive it. Should pop off after a little bit.