G’day all from Biloela Queensland Oz, I have a Galion 503L serial # 510427 with some of the handbrake assembly missing. I have recently found a parts dealer and provided him with photos of what I have in situ on the machine. He has sent me what he believes I require including a new cable and brake shoes, second hand brake drum, linkages, and springs. What I’m needing help with is an exploded view / layout of the handbrake mechanism to work out where all the linkages etc fit up. Can anybody help me with this? I don’t own a parts book. Best regards
I have a book on a gm68XX serial number. Would a picture of the parts help? I still get parts thru Komatsu using numbers from parts book.
Thanks Clyde, not sure if your machine and mine are similar. If you know that they are, than yes please some pictures would be handy. If anybody knows where I can get hold of a service and parts book for a reasonable price I’d be interested too. Best regards.
Maddad64 - Plough Book Sales has a copy of the Galion 503L service manual for AU$105. Plough Book Sales: Earthmoving & Construction You'll find the Galion 503L handbrake uses all standard International Harvester parts and components, so the handbrake on the 503L will have the same components and layout as other IH machines of the same era - such as International trucks. So if you can find an old "butterbox" ACCO from the 1960's, and slide underneath it at the rear of the transmission/s, you will see the principle of the handbrake operation.
Attached are the parts pages for my 503L, about 1975 model, SN#GM06886. They probably are as OxDozer says as well.
Maddad64 - If you scroll down through the photos of the 503L on the auction site below, there's a fairly clear photo of the handbrake mechanism. You can open these photos in a new window and enlarge them to a very large size by clicking on them. Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com
Thanks again Clyde, The photo and parts description will be very helpful. Much appreciated mate.
Thanks for that information Ozdozer. I did read about the IH parts being interchangeable. I don’t have a butter box but do have a 1976 D1610 Inter at home. I’ll slide under it and check the handbrake out on it. Best regards..
Here are a couple photos of mine - which does not operate by cable. A rod and all hardware as shown activate it even though the handle in the cab looks very similar to your photo.
wth is a butterbox
Don, it's the Australian-designed and manufactured International Harvester cabover model, first introduced in 1959 to fill an order for 4x4's and 6x6's for the Australian Army. In 1961, IH Australia decided to produce a civilian version using the same squared-off cabin. First models were 4x2, then a 6x2. Initially it was called the AACO (Australian A-line Cab Over), and had 4 headlights. Around 1967, it was redesigned to a single headlight design and it was now called the ACCO (Australian C-line Cab Over). In 1970, the cabin was moved forward 10 inches to improve driver access, but the cabin remained essentially the same. It became a very popular truck and was produced in large numbers in 4x2, 6x2, 6x4 and 8x4 configurations. It gained the "butterbox" nickname due to its square-nosed cabin, which reminded older people of the square boxes that butter originally came in. The photo is of a later model (1970-1972) ACCO with the forward-mounted cabin and the step in front of the wheel and lowered bottom of the door, which facilitated driver access. Earlier ACCO's had a straight bottom door, and there was a step ring on the wheel to gain cab access. File:International ACCO "Butterbox" C1800 prime mover (5987386644).jpg - Wikimedia Commons commons.wikimedia.org
Thanks again Clyde, could I please trouble you for a photo of the area where the linkage connects to the bottom cab and also the anchor side of the brake shoes. No hurry thanks.
Hey Maddad, check your private messages, I think I sent one to you with a buncha pictures from underneath. Merry Christmas to All!
Thanks Clyde. Merry Christmas everyone.