Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

510c backhoe pressurized front bucket bleed

nicholassigmund · 2019-10-09 08:54

hey there folks. my backhoe while running the front bucket will work its way down. if I park it and leave it running when I come back to it in several minutes the bucket will have pushed the front wheels off the ground and will continue to do so until its at it's max point and I feel it is taking away from power elsewhere. that's one of my issues my other is my backhoe digging has no power whatsoever. I cant even lightly scrape the surface because lack of power to that control.with no problem it will all retract In the air as if I was going to drive but under a load it wont dig for nothing and the front bucket has been doing its thing for quite some time this backhoe digging thing is new and every other control is working just fine. thanks for any help

Replies17
  1. #1Tyler d4c2019-10-09 09:38

    The spring that centers the spool for your loader is broke I bet

  2. #2Delmer2019-10-09 10:09

    It shouldn't take much take the end cap off that spool to look at the springs, if they're not obviously broke, then remove them and the whole spool to take a look. Let us know what you find. Unfortunately I think the backhoe power is a separate issue, but they might be caused by the same cause, contamination etc. Fix the loader first in case I'm wrong.

  3. #3nicholassigmund2019-10-09 14:09

    thanks for your guys quick answers I took a picture of the setup are you talking about this rusty *** spring??

  4. #4Delmer2019-10-09 14:29

    No. do you see the two shiny cylinders that the control handles move? those are called the spools. On the other end of those is a cap held on with two small bolts typically, take that cover off and inspect the springs inside there.

  5. #5mg23612019-10-10 05:23

    For your loader issue (if it is the loader boom powering down and not the bucket) check the o-ring in the picture below. Make sure the loader is on the ground and the pressure is relieved before removing.

  6. #6690elc2019-10-10 06:25

    Deep under the tractor is a priority valve that meters flow to the steering, backhoe and the loader. It is a very complicated hydraulic system. The book has a very good troubleshooting system, but you have to pay to play. My loader on my 510c also does want to lower itself at times. One thing is to try and steer when it is doing it the unit and see if the lifting stops. I would not open the loader valve until you study the schematics of the peculiar metering system JD designed for these. #1468 is the tech manual you may need. $30 download or so.

  7. #7nicholassigmund2019-10-11 01:17

    hey there Delmer I finally got back to the machine a bit ago in between the hard rains and I took the base two bolts off of the bottom of the spool majigaboband thing for the loader up and down mech and checked out the spring and it looks fine and appears to be working properly. the other spool controls the tilt so I figured no need to mess with that one cause its not tilting on its own. mg thank you and can you tell me the steps to doing that any knowledge would be a total gain for me cuz I have not had to deal with that yet on this machine and 690 thank you for your comment I will def look into buying that but is that the whole manual or just the hydraulic system?

  8. #8mg23612019-10-11 04:41

    TM1468 is the Operations and Tests manual. TM1469 is the repair manual. As far as removing the relief cartridge lower your loader with the bucket flat on the ground as well as the backhoe. Shut off the engine. Work the loader lever in all directions until the loader boom and bucket no longer move and are relaxed. Then unscrew the entire relief assembly (the one I pictured above which is next to the cap with the spring you checked). Then you have to reach up into the relief bore with an o-ring pick or with a pair of snap ring pliers (some call them horseshoe ring pliers) and pull the load check out and inspect the o-ring on it (this piece might fall out with the relief if the o-ring is shot). Keep in mind that the load check under the relief valve will have the housing with the o-ring, a spring and a poppet (3 pcs).

  9. #9690elc2019-10-11 04:45

    1468 is 508 pages and covers all the systems. Report back if you get the problem fixed via the loader spool.

  10. #10nicholassigmund2019-10-13 20:49

    hey there guys so 690 I did move the steering wheel and it does seem to make it stop lowering the front bucket for a little while at least I didn't do it for longer than a minute but def seemed to stop it. mg I gotta pic attached of it all out of there and it all seemed fine to me other than it looks like theres a groove for an o ring on the backside of the little electrical thing behind the four little screws. do ya know anything about that by chance. thank you guys again for your help

  11. #11Delmer2019-10-13 21:34

    The electric solenoid isn't doing anything, you can leave it unplugged till you figure this out. Follow Mg's suggestion in #6 and #9.

  12. #12mg23612019-10-14 04:41

    If it is your loader boom that is powering down then you pulled the bucket spool by mistake. The spool without the solenoid is for the loader boom (my graphic in post #6). That solenoid is for the return-to-dig which brings your bucket back to level automatically. Just to clarify, is your boom powering down lifting your front end or is the bucket dumping lifting your front end?

  13. #13nicholassigmund2019-10-14 10:44

    good morning and it is the boom powering down lifting the bucket. I realized last night after I sent the picture and messages that I had the wrong thing. I believe its the one right next to the one I checked the spring in like u had mentioned earlier I believe I for some reason thought it would be one with the spool which now understanding the system a little better was very silly of me. I got the right one I believe opened up and there seems to be a snap ring in the bore I guess its called. I called it quits for the night at that point tho as it was 3 am.

  14. #14nicholassigmund2019-10-22 07:35

    Hey guys sorry I haven’t gotten back on here and let ya know how things are goin for me. Well I feel like I haven’t hardly gotten off the hoe. So I wasn’t able to get the snap ring deal out as I didn’t have the proper tool I reckon. So I just put back together and it’s been fine ever since so guess I got lucky somehow. So then I moved on to my backhoe digging problem how it wasn’t wanting to even scrape the surface. So I took the spool off for that specific control and it appeared great so I went to the thing on the front side of it has like two big nuts and the little thing out the bottom comes out with the holes in it and what not I’m guessing it’s called something like a valve or something anywho I’ll attach a pic. I don’t use shop towels here and I’ve owned the hoe for two years and haven’t had a problem with hydraulics except for a couple lines. Nonetheless all but one hole in was packed tight with a blue shop towel. Took about 20 minutes to dig it all out but once I put back on machine and fired up she was back to awesome again

  15. #15Clawed Backster2019-10-22 08:06

    I wonder if someone in the past took a line loose to fix or replace something, and stuck a piece of shop towel in the opening to stop the fluid from leaking out while they worked on it.

  16. #16690elc2019-10-22 18:29

    That is very strange with the rag. Are those the pressure valves or bypass valves? lucky find

  17. #17edgephoto2019-10-22 18:58

    I don't think that was supposed be there......