Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 Case 580B Oil Pressure Gauge

Troy4500Industrial · 2019-10-09 08:34

Hey All, I don't have an oil pressure gauge on the tractor, I'd like to have one tho! Not sure if it had one originally or not, these pics are from the block up by the fuel filters ... can anyone tell me what they are? One is a wire that comes up and goes into the harness and the other is a peacock type fitting? Is it possible to remove one and install an oil pressure gauge?

Replies15
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-10-09 19:27

    Those machines just had an idiot light, but you can plumb in a live gauge by installing a fitting and line where the sending unit is. Just run a line from there to gauge you can install in dash.

  2. #2Troy4500Industrial2019-10-09 20:26

    Thank you Coy! I def want to do that, I appreciate your input! Forgive my lack of knowledge with this, but can I just unscrew the dummy light switch, tee it off, keep the light and also run a pressure switch off the same tee?

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-10-10 07:22

    Put a pipe tee in the line and you can have both, the light and the gauge. I have done it on my own tractor.

  4. #4Troy4500Industrial2019-10-10 07:45

    Thank you Tinkerer, appreciate your knowledge as always also

  5. #5Troy4500Industrial2019-10-10 07:47

    Can either of you tell me what the petcock type fitting on the block would be for?

  6. #6Tinkerer2019-10-10 09:26

    Where is it located ? Photo please.

  7. #7Troy4500Industrial2019-10-10 12:58

    Bottom of the block to the right of the fuel filters

  8. #8Tinkerer2019-10-10 13:33

    coolant drain.

  9. #9Troy4500Industrial2019-10-10 14:29

    thank you!

  10. #10Troy4500Industrial2019-10-16 19:34

    Can I pick either of your guys brains over this? Is it a relief valve for the backhoe? It’s leaking and trying to figure out the course of action

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2019-10-16 23:42

    Where is it leaking from, the top?

  12. #12Troy4500Industrial2019-10-17 04:47

    yes sir, the top

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2019-10-17 08:13

    Is the set screw and jam nut in place I can't really tell. If not then that's why it's leaking if it is there may be an o-ring that needs to be under the jam nut.

  14. #14Troy4500Industrial2019-10-17 08:15

    Thank you! I'll check when I get back later this week ... again, appreciate you wealth of knowledge ... I'm not a super mechanic, just good enough to keep the toys going and be dangerous ... the wisdom from you guys def saves the day by pointing me in the right direction.

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2019-10-17 08:19

    I'm glad we can help.