Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

510c backhoe. Strange sound

nicholassigmund · 2019-12-29 15:07

Attached I have a short video of my hoe running. During you can hear what to me sounds like bearings or something I didn’t know if anyone knew this sound and could direct me. Thank you https://share.icloud.com/photos/0p8YpRl8GByZ4MQMwbzayF1Vw#Grafton

Replies5
  1. #1Theweldor2019-12-29 16:44

    Front driven pump? Check to drive line to it or check that the fan is not hitting the shroud somewhere. These are just places to start.

  2. #2Delmer2019-12-29 18:24

    Does it vary with engine speed? does it go away when the engine is running at the smoothest rpm, like 1,600? how long has it been making this noise, and how long have you had it. There's a rubber "waffle" in the hydraulic pump coupler that could have fallen apart. or any of the clamps on the shafts could be loose. The fan is a good place to check, and the fan sorround, they like to crack and rattle. If that doesn't turn up anything, take the intake hose off the turbo and see what the impeller looks and feels like. muffler loose, anything floating around inside the muffler.

  3. #3nicholassigmund2019-12-31 13:01

    Thank you guys for your quick responses. There is a big hard line that runs on the inside of the frame on the left side that runs up to the very front. And the sound matches the feel when I touch the line. And when I touch anything else around there u just feel the normal motor running. It’s been making this noise for quite a few months I’ve Owned the machine for over 2 years. And the higher rpm the louder the noise. Also I don’t have the shroud on for the fan so that’s not hitting anything

  4. #4Delmer2019-12-31 13:38

    Is that the lower pressure supply to the hydraulic pump, or the high pressure line from the hydraulic pump to the control valves? It sounds like a hydraulic spike coming from the pump, have you changed the hydraulic filters and checked the screen (probably have a screen? ). you tell me, does the hydraulics run on the transmission oil, or separate? In any case, If the charge pressure is good, and the hydraulic coupler is good, and the line isn't banging something, then I'd guess it's inside your pump, maybe "missing" on one cylinder?

  5. #5mg23612020-01-01 05:09

    Gets it's oil from the transaxle.