Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

518 cat skidder

Tim41301 ยท 2015-03-07 22:14

Just rebuilt the engine everything is new but it holds about 125 psi oil pressure is this normal? Transmission quit pulling was shifting rough before it quit. Can someone please help with some of this?

Replies11
  1. #1Mobiltech2015-03-07 23:10

    That oil pressure is too high. Is that with cold or warm oil? You should see no more then about 90 psi. Usually closer to 50 when warm. The oil pump relief must be stuck. It's in the oil pump. Transmission problem could be valving problem too. Check trans filter for debris and chech trans pressure at the filter. Should be around 400 psi.

  2. #2Tim413012015-03-08 00:47

    That's cold after it runs and gets hot it holds around 75 psi. I've took the valve out of the oil pump it looks good as new is it possible I have the wrong pump? I think the bolt in the trans is sheared off. Also the rear main pours the oil could this be from the high oil pressure? I bought this machine with a blowed motor hopping it would work out. But not much luck so far thank for all the help keep it comming if you can I need all the help I can get

  3. #3Mobiltech2015-03-08 15:36

    If it's 75 at full throttle hot I wouldn't be too worried about it. 75 at idle would be too much. Double check with another gauge first. High oil pressure should not cause a rear seal leak. Did you get the seal in to the right depth. I think this engine has a countersunk flywheel which means if the sel and wear ring are put on flush with the crank the flywheel will interfere with them when you bolt it on. What bolt in the trans is sheared off?

  4. #4Tim413012015-03-08 16:52

    The one that holds the center gear in the front of the trans someone on here said it was in the center of the pto and the gear that pulls the machine is it best to take the motor and trans out to gather or can you drop the trans out the bottom? Oh and the oil pressure is around 100 at full throttle but about 75 at an idle

  5. #5Mobiltech2015-03-08 18:54

    First check your trans filter and pump pressures.

  6. #6Tim413012015-03-08 21:58

    I took it out before it quit pulling it worked fine then quit and the winch drive line isn't turning

  7. #7overworked2015-03-08 22:13

    Sounds like maybe torque converter problem, the trans comes out the top.

  8. #8Mobiltech2015-03-10 16:38

    Sounds like you have a problem with the bolts in the drive gear on the torque.i think they are a 1B581 which is a change up.

  9. #9Tim413012015-03-11 00:26

    How big of a job to fix this

  10. #10Mobiltech2015-03-11 08:57

    Not bad once you get the trans out.

  11. #11overworked2015-03-11 09:44

    Did you have trouble lining up engine as you put it back in? Do you have any endplay in crankshaft? Or is it tight to the front?