Greetings. My 520c dresser recently developed a problem when engaging reverse. After about 20-30 minutes of operation it loses power in reverse only. The forward gears will still have usual power, but in reverse the machine barely moves when it is at operating temperature. Before I remove the transmission are there any checks or advice anyone can offer? Below is the I.D. plate on the transmission.
Hi. Still hoping someone can advise on the above.
The problem with response on this web site on this particular transmission is that the machine was built in Poland and is not common in the US and probably not real common in the rest of the world. The machines built when the brand was International Harvester used a constant mesh countershaft transmission. If this is the same type of unit you might have a broken seal ring on the reverse gear clutch pack. Have you done anything to troubleshoot the problem? Remove and check the filters or check transmission pressures.
Hi John. I have changed the filter and oil. I took pressure readings on the control valve and everything seems normal when transmission is cold or hot. If it was a broken seal ring would I expect to see a drop in pressure when the machine is hot on the reverse gear test point? Could this be worn reverse clutches?
If the pressures were correct, then all I can say at this point is a slipping clutch pack or something broken on the reverse gear. Do you have a mechanical shift linkage or a hydraulic control for the transmission.
Hi. It is a mechanical shift linkage. I think you may be right on a worn clutch pack as it loses drive in reverse only when it is hot
What was your solution? Did you find a trans?
This is a 2 year old thread but I think the OP was looking to repair his trans. not replace it with another one.
Thanks Dave, I’m open to doing either. The loader works fine and is strong but I have metal in the screens which means failure is going to happen sooner or later. I’m going to run it for snow this year and just want to have a solution when it does go out.
Probably easier to find parts to repair it than a complete transmission.