Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 950 trans pipe seal

Plant Fitter ยท 2021-08-23 06:16

I have a 950 73J3158M with an oil leak from the seal between the flange and the pipe, of the oil tube that goes from the valve on the RHS of the transmission to the bottom of the oil cooler. This is at the transmission valve end. The pipe has some pitting right where the seal has to sit. I can't get the oil seal part number to work on the Cat website, but the dealer will probably be able to cross reference it when I get a chance to call them in business hours, item 6 in the picture. The pipe part number works, and is $850 AUD, so I won't be buying a new one. Any suggestions on the best way to fix it? Will a new seal, seal adequately against the pitting? Would a bit of silicone at assembly do the trick? Anyone encountered and overcome this problem before?

Replies2
  1. #1Dave Neubert2021-08-26 18:28

    a new seal should fix it put some silicone on it if you want or sand it and put some JB weld on it and sand it smooth you should be able to find a used one but it don't look that bad

  2. #2Plant Fitter2021-09-03 08:14

    Interesting that the new seal is an updated part number, and it's just an o-ring, but it's an extra thick section one. Compared with the old one which looks like maybe someone maybe used two o-rings put together. May not have needed it, but I put a bit of rtv silicone and it seems to have done the job.