Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

524 Deere Loader, what no key!

heavylift ยท 2012-11-22 11:59

I see this machine has a potential to idle long hours, waste copious amount of fuel. 19 button pushes to start this silly thing. I didn't run it. But it seemed like it took 5 minutes to restart it. After the first day I noticed it setting and idling about half the day.

Replies3
  1. #1cutting edge2012-11-22 21:20

    So what are you saying? Was it beyond your capabilities to press the start button, punch in a 4 digit security code,then the enter button and then the start button? ( 6 button presses) ....and if it sat around idling, don't you think someone should enable the idle shutdown timer?

  2. #2heavylift2012-11-22 22:01

    It has a 6 digit code. Which just happens to be the rental company's equipment number, so as a security feature that didn't make sense. It takes 19 pushes of the buttons to get it started. It doesn't have a numbered keypad, so you have to push an arrow button to run up to the correct number each time. One job had a Volvo with the timer on it. It was maybe one minute before it shut down. Ask the rental guy about it, sure I can disable it. If you buy the machine. A few days later I saw it idling. I asked the foreman when did the turn the timer off, oh they didn't , I just put the cutting edge in the ground and put it in 1st. Walked away shaking my head.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2012-11-23 15:02

    I think we will be able to look back and find that the best machines ever were the last generation before all the electronic controls. They can make a machine nice when it is new, but are a bear later on. Now we have come to ones that are not even nice to run when new. Put a key in and turn it. I am sure there will be accidents caused by field workarounds to all the PITA safety and security measures, like mentioned above by heavylift.