Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

530 international dresser steering issues

Johnnn · 2023-04-02 15:25

I have a 530 dresser loader I just rebuilt the two steering cylinders it steers a little better but not like it should. This loader as the steering box with the steering valve on the back part of the loader it steers better when moving but not great as anyone on here ever had this trouble or rebuilt or repaired a steering valve

Replies11
  1. #1Elmech2023-04-02 15:43

    Hi, after mounting cylinders do you clear air from them? Sorry if it is so elementary but sometimes is is happened if the hoses have high curve. And second you have to check pressure in the input hose for steering valve. If it is present(I do not have a service manual - but around 20 Bar) and not drop you cut 70% of all possible failures.

  2. #2Johnnn2023-04-02 15:56

    I have cleared all air from the system and I have good pressure to the valve but seams like the pressure coming out is not great but if I try to lift my boom I have to turn my steering wheel a little bit to get the boom to move the speed it should if the wheel is not where it should be the boom is slow it is weird I know but that how it’s reacting it has me puzzled it’s the first time seeing this trouble

  3. #3Elmech2023-04-02 17:21

    I have absolutely similar problem a 2 year ago( I am service but repair a lot of different machines, so do not remember exactly which one was. If you have manual you ca send me an I will try to help more reasonably. I remember that there was a problem with hydraulic pump The oil was filled with abrasives from pump or some valves, motors etc. - like paint with alumina(don't know how you call it ).You can check 1. an oil filter and 2.put a magnet sting in oil and 3.take some quantity of oil to observe. Easiest way is to put it on the "wet wipes" or coffee filter . The other metals present in pump and hydraulic equipment than stall will not clue to magnet. If there is priority valve in front of valve block -it have a lot of filters that must be cleared!. It is not regularly work and you have to be very handy / skillful. If you have a hydraulic diagram with section (cutting view of valves) it will be in great help to you.

  4. #4Elmech2023-04-02 17:26

    Read my reply and now I'm sure your current problem is the priority valve and its filters. Sorry for bad English!

  5. #5Johnnn2023-04-02 20:03

    Thank you sir I will look tomorrow and see can I find that priority valve that seems like a great place to start and I’m sorry I don’t have a service manual

  6. #6Johnnn2023-04-02 20:05

    Thank you for your input the more information that we can get the easier things will go

  7. #7Johnnn2023-04-04 13:44

    Do anyone know where the priority valve is located on a 530 international dresser loader with the steering valve located on the back side of the cab

  8. #8Elmech2023-04-04 14:30

    I don' t know exactly, but if it is present, usually first in valve block- the tube/hose from pump have to be "in" there and also the hoses for steering have to output from this place. So as stupid advice - see where are the place/valve with a lot of hoses/tubes - this have to be. Have someone post here an hydraulic scheme so we talk more precisely? What about your oil properties? Did you check it? It's easy! Start engine, few hydraulic function proceed to mix the oil, several drop of oil to white napkin, filter..., and after drying see if there are sparks in light spot like Hollywood star outfit- it will be bad news , sorry!

  9. #9Elmech2023-04-04 14:47

    To explain: I thing there is a low control pressure so the variable pump don't see that something have to be moved - any operation, and didn't up debit to provide necessary volume so when you turn a steering wheel, it has priorities over other function valves and command pump to boost. This part of priority valve is OK but when it is not engaged it has to put an oil/debit/control pressure to other valves and now it NOT do this properly. This is my presumption for your situation without hydraulic scheme to check my thoughts.

  10. #10Tones2023-04-04 16:33

    I'm not familiar with the hydraulics on a 530 but I have a little knowledge of hydraulics. This machine could have a load sense hydraulic pump which will have 3 hoses on it, 2 large 1 small. If this is the case then operating the steering to move the arm quicker is activating the pump swash plate. By pressure testing the output of the control block will confirm but I'll bet the 0rings in the control block will have broken or worn allowing the oil to bypass. A complete set of 0 rings maybe all that's needed

  11. #11John C.2023-04-04 18:22

    Going to need a serial number or at least a date of manufacture. I've never worked on an IH/Dresser wheel loader that had anything but a gear pump for steering and implements. The usual set up was a dedicated steering pump that first fed a combination steering and priority valve. Steering had priority and after that was satisfied, excess oil went into the implement hydraulics. Pump output has a lot to do with steering. Have you checked operating pressure? Have you done cycle times? Are you checking the steering when the service brakes are locked up? Does the machine steer better when the engine RPM is raised?