Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

544a transmission

greg54 ยท 2017-05-11 20:18

I have a 544a john deere it will not spin the tires when digging and it seems to lack power climbing hills I have replaced the filters and put new transmission fluid in it. My pressure gauge on the dash does not work and there is no oil coming out when line is removed. Thanks Greg

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2017-05-11 22:01

    How does the engine sound? does it slow down, or run along at full speed? HEAVY equipment has never been good at hill climbing...

  2. #2greg542017-05-11 22:13

    Sounds the same but will not spin the wheels

  3. #3Delmer2017-05-12 13:17

    Fix the gauge. The line is probably cut and capped somewhere.

  4. #4crewchief8882017-05-13 06:40

    my best guess would be the sprag clutch is worn and slipping.

  5. #5greg542017-05-13 09:30

    Is that a easy fix

  6. #6crewchief8882017-05-13 15:10

    i guess you need to define easy..... pull the trans, disassemble, remove & inspect the sprag clutch, replace worn/broken parts, reassemble and reinstall....

  7. #7greg542017-05-13 18:58

    also what should I be using for oil I was told dextron type 3 is that correct

  8. #8crewchief8882017-05-14 07:49

    never heard of using ATF in an allison trans. i suppose anything is possible, we used JD Hyguard