Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

544C JD Loader No Drive Condition

garebear · 2024-08-01 11:05

We have a 90's John Deere 544C 4X loader tht was operating well. It was in the middle of the job & stopped moving in forward & reverse & in any gear. Shut it down to check the trani oil & basics: fuses, relays, power to the shifter switch, key switch & park switch; all good. After I went to start it up it wouldn't turn over. Console shows exclamation point & stop symbol blinking. Batteries at 13 v. & it starts right up @ the starter with key switch on. I'm baffled at finding the main problem since this occurred a month or so ago. I managed to reset the system disconnecting the main plug from the control module then, but now it shuts down again & no longer works. Has Anyone experienced this same problem or have come up with any solutions? Im at a total loss & now I've been loosing sleep over this problem for several months. Any ideas or how to proceed would be very much appreciated.

Replies18
  1. #1mg23612024-08-01 12:04

    If you have a stop light, then it is not a "C" series. Post up the complete machine serial number. Which one of these?

  2. #2garebear2024-08-05 16:09

    Thanks for your reply . It looks similar to the 1st pic, 544E but there is a slight difference. The 544E doesn't have a aprox 8" plastic insert/covee between the bottom of the cab & top of the mechanical capartment. it has the 544C label. The only tag I found was inside the upper rear inside the cab. Model # 924399 Serial # 549841 I was told a while back of another tag just under the ladder by the entry of the cab. I haven't found any other tags.

  3. #3garebear2024-08-05 16:16

    After u showed the pics I went exploring noticed pics resembling 544G Model. It also has the rectangular stop/run lights in the rear.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2024-08-05 16:18

    @garebear , Does your monitor look exactly like in the pic below ? if yes , it is a Deere ”G” series loader .

  5. #5mg23612024-08-06 05:14

    For the 544E The Basic Loader Serial Number Plate Is Located On The Left-Hand Side Of The Loader Frame On Top Side Of Upper Hinge Plate.The Product Idenitfi- cation Number Is Stamped On The Bottom Surface Of The Lower Pivot Plate Of The Engine Frame Upper Articulation Pivot For the 544G The Basic Loader Serial Number Plate Is Located On The Left-Hand Side Of The Engine Frame To Right Of The Top Step.The Product Identification Num- ber Is Stamped On The Inside Of The Left Side Of Engine Frame Near The Fuel Tank Rear Mounting Plate.

  6. #6garebear2024-08-06 18:06

    Yes it looks identical

  7. #7Diesel Dave2024-08-06 23:39

    So it’s a Deere 544G loader. The engine no crank from the key and no transmission function could very well be one common issue. I would initially focus on getting the engine to crank from the key. Find the screenshot of the start circuit schematic below. A transmission controller issue will not prevent the engine from cranking. Be sure there is power at the E02 wire at the neutral start relay when the FNR column shifter is in Neutral. .

  8. #8garebear2025-06-18 13:01

    Apologies nit getting back sooner. Appreciate the help. I'll run those tests & get back to you.

  9. #9garebear2025-06-18 13:42

    I have power going to the neutral start relay but still no start from the key switch. When I start it & shut off the park brake the stop lamp flashes. When I pump the brake pedal several times the exclamation warning symbol & the brake pressure light on dash starts flashing. All hydraulics work, but will not move in any gear. I'm considering that the brakes may need to be replaced & the brake accumulator may not be building the pressure to supply pressure for the brakes or activate the park brake.

  10. #10Diesel Dave2025-06-18 18:43

    With the FNR switch in neutral and the key switch in the start position you should have power at terminals 30, 86 and 87 of the K5 neutral start relay and also power at terminals 30 , 86 and 87 of the K6 start relay. Let us know your findings. . Check the brake pump stand by pressure. That will help determine if the brake system / park brake pressure is actually low. Spec is 2400 psi.

  11. #11Diesel Dave2025-06-18 19:33

    What control module are you unplugging and replugging ?

  12. #12garebear2025-06-23 13:57

    Will do. It'll be a while. I was pulled from the loader to another emergency. I'll keep u posted when I'm back on it.

  13. #13garebear2025-06-23 14:01

    PS: the plug I pull to reset the main control module by the relays/fuses just below the relay/fuse monoclasure.

  14. #14Diesel Dave2025-06-23 15:31

    Is the plug that you pull connected to any of the components shown in screenshot below ?

  15. #15garebear2025-06-23 20:12

    Yes, it the plug going into the Transmission controller.

  16. #16garebear2025-07-09 17:56

    Ok, they put Mr back on it. I have power at terminal 86 with no power at terminals 30 & 87 on the neutral start circuit relay. The relay tests ok.

  17. #17garebear2025-07-09 18:09

    While I was away the operator had a mechanic buddy take a look at it. He was told to add oil to the transmission; 2 qrts low & replace the filters. He'd come. Back again to plug his scanner to check codes. I replaced the oil then new Trans filter & cleaned plus tested all the valves with switches & all tested normal a month ago. It ran after resetting the codes & ran for a week or 2. Today I went ahead & replaced hydraulic filter & replaced the parking brake pads & adjusted them on the rotor. I am wondering if the system needs to be pressurized & what would I need to do to check it? Maybe since the exclamation symbol lights up it's not suppling a signal to send power to the f/r valves on the trans to operate?

  18. #18Diesel Dave2025-07-09 19:37

    Neutral start relay terminal # 30 gets power when the key switch is in the start position only through neutral start fuse F6.