Hello all, I recently purchased a 2017 544Kii with the 4speed trans. The road gear is too slow to travel far, which i need to do sometimes. I know the machines have 2 different speed options available at time of purchase, so I thought I would ask. Is there an easy way to get this machine to drive faster. I know its a stupid question, but, perhaps a software change would make another gear available? ie, the gear is there, but is locked out by software???? Dumb question I know, but who knows. SN : 1DW544KZJHD680752 Thanks for your time, Ken
I'm sure the Deere guys will want to know a serial # to see what exactly you have.
Heard all kinds of whining over road speed when we got out 544k. Still have the 544J and K machines, and Gs. 23.8 mph on our 544J vs 22.2 mph on our 544K 5spd wasn't even an option back then.
I actually have the build sheet for it. Under transmission is says: TRANSMISSION WO AX DISC Not sure if that means it has lockup up TC or not. Max speed is about 15mph. Makes for a long drive home.
I found a button in the manual to lock up the TC. Will try that.
Our 544k does it by itself. No button.
Hi Watglen, the 4 speed trannies usually are NOT equipped with lock up clutch, the 5 speeds yes. 15 mph looks like not shifting up to 4th. You are sure it is running in 4th? Then converter should produce lots of heat. Does it when travelling?
I will take it for a drive myself, and play around with it. See what I can come up with. Its new to us, so we are still learning how to run it. Never owned a loader before
Without axle disconnect. What gear does it say in the monitor when roading the machine at maximum speed?
Ok, i went for a drive Gps speed confirms displayed speed maxed out on pavement as just under 16mph.at 2200 rpm Transmission display show 123D, and there are 4 distinct gears. Lockup button displays a msg that the option is not installed. Thoughts?
It says you are in 4th forward, so we know in are in the highest gear. Transmission is a little cold to be performing any tests, including road speed. There are other factors that can be affecting the road speed, such as axle oil temperature, brake drag, tire size, etc. Let's see what the converter stall is at. Place the transmission in manual mode. With the transmission at operating temperature (approx 166-186*F, 74-86*C), engine at operating temperature, clutch disconnect turned off, place the machine into 3rd forward, foot planted firmly on the brake, full throttle. What is the engine rpm?
Right at 2100. Ken
You got a monitor with code reading built in. Are there any codes? There would almost have to be a least one mystery code, if not more, as my J and K 544s always have several codes, any time I look. There almost always irrelevant, though.
Those sound like dealer revenue codes
Dead center of spec, so no torque converter issues, and engine power should be OK. Are there? Post any code that may be in there, active or stored.
Watglen, in your post from Friday 2:01 PM transmission is in 4th, but engine rpm only 1655. This is far too low, should be close to 2200 rpm then. Even in stall condition engine got 2100 rpm. My assumption: There is an engine speed limitation set somewhere to avoid too high travelling speed.
@Bigbert , 2100 rpm is smack in the middle of the spec Deere publishes in their manuals. I don't think the picture shown in the post #10 was for a stall condition, but a picture to show the gear selection. @watglen could answer that.
Hmm, MG2361, how to create a photo in 3rd manual, engine 2110 rpm at 0 mph travel speed? On the other hand 2100 stall is super high for machines from 2000. So lets wait what watglen will tell us.
The air inlet sensor short is the only active code. The others are stored.
I don't think that code will derate the engine, otherwise there would be 1569.31 code.
Yeah, the machine runs great. Has a hard time starting, but once its running it runs great.
no other ideas on this?
Sorry, i missed your reply. I wanted to clear that up. In that pic i was focused on what the display showed for available gears. I have 4 distinct gears. There are 3 distinct gear changes. Warmed up, the machine does 15mp at 2200 rpm, flat pavement. Stall test: 3rd gear wide open, brakes applied, gives a stall rpm of 2100. lock up button does nothing....option not installed. I was hoping for some sort of setting that limits speed, but so far no-one has pointed to that. Thanks for your help Ken
Yes, there is a setting for maximum high gear. Press and hold the select button for 5 seconds to enter the Service Mode. Scroll to Machine Configuration until it is highlighted, press select. Scroll to Maximum High Gear, press select. Since you do not have a lock-up TC, the maximum you can pick is 4th. Might want to try a transmission calibration also.
Is Max speed something that can be set for each operator? I have never run a deer wheel loader of that age but in know on my bosses 848l skidder I once entered the wrong start code and got some previous operators settings. Was kinda annoying as he preferred his hydraulic control pattern backwards
Clarification. I know I am in 4th gear on the road. 3 distinct gear changes put me in 4th. Does this setting affect the speed in 4th somehow?
No. Did you try the road speed with the clutch cut-off turned off? The left brake pedal is not stuck part way, is it?
Good news, there was a 5th gear available in the settings. Will take it out on the road and have a go.
Thanks everyone, that got me up to 22mph
Great and thank you for following through and updating us