Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

550G losing oil pressure

CFleming ยท 2014-09-16 16:06

I have a 98 model deere 550G that keeps losing oil pressure I was grubbing last week and saw the gauge drop so I immediately shut it down and found oil leaking out a hole in the pan so I ordered a new pan put it on filled her up and started it. Had good pressure for about 5 minutes then started dropping again dip stick is showing full it will keep about 20#'s when throttled all the way any ideas what my problem could be?

Replies9
  1. #1overworked2014-09-16 16:16

    I would hook a pressure gauge and double check,

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-16 20:31

    I'll second the second opinion on the pressure gauge. If a diaphragm gets a pinhole leak it will show actual pressure until the oil pressure equalizes on both sides of the diaphragm. Shut it off for a while and the pressure will equalize again to zero and it will show close to actual pressure again when first started up. That is quite a coincidence though, how low was the oil after you shut it down the first time? You did check the pickup screen, right? Not to sloppy with the RTV?

  3. #3CFleming2014-09-16 20:50

    It was 2 gallons low the first time, yeah pickup screen was clean, didn't use any RTV used new gasket. Have not put gauge on it yet all I have are 1/4" no 1/8" gauges

  4. #4CFleming2014-09-17 20:56

    put gauge on and it is reading the pressure right, now I have what sound like valves knocking up high in the motor or a rod or something knocking guess I will tear into it and see what I can find.

  5. #5Delmer2014-09-17 21:50

    Sorry to hear the bad news. At least you know now.

  6. #6overworked2014-09-17 22:02

    Yeah, sorry. Better now than later with holes in it.

  7. #7CFleming2014-09-18 13:18

    Well everything up top looked good so guessing its gonna be in the lower, can you pull crank and all inframe or do I have to pull the engine?

  8. #8Killbox Alpha2014-09-21 17:56

    You can not pull the crank while in the machine. If this is a torque converter machine, it is actually easier to pull the radiator, engine, tc and all in one assembly. Be sure the loader frame is up.

  9. #9CFleming2014-11-10 22:57

    Update....had yellowhouse look at it and she was toast! Put in a new motor (minus a small fortune) and back to work.