Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dozer or loader as a second ranch machine?

marcin ยท 2014-09-16 02:05

Hi all, My wife and I own a 500 acre ranch in Texas, a significant part (approx 100 acres) of it has been gravel mined before and is very rough and overgrown with unwanted tree and brush species. Our goal is to clear, level and grade these areas improving their appearance but also allowing for fencing to improve cattle grazing and hay production. A year ago we purchased a Takeuchi TL12 track loader (12 000 lbs, 110 hp) with a Denis Cimaf mulcher to help with this. We have been able to reclaim completely unaccessible 25 acres over the last year in about 750 hrs on the machine. The CTL works great for mulching and light to moderate dirt work. Some of the work remaining, however, includes heavy leveling and grading of gravel rich, compacted soil. We were also looking to build 2-3 ponds (1-2 acres each) and grade an approximately 40 acre field. I am concerned to keep using the CTL for the latter applications in fear that we will ultimately destroy it. We wanted to keep the CTL around for maintenance work with the mulcher and general purpose work around the farm (fencing, road maintenance, etc.) My thought thus was to purchase a bigger machine: either a heavier loader or a dozer. Most seem to think that a loader is more versatile around a farm, but we already have one (although smaller). What would you recommend purchasing? My thought was to go with a 6-way blade dozer, jd750c size or similar. My budget will be around 60K. Can you please give me some recommendations on the type, brand, size and hours on the machine? I have spent hours reading forums and searching the internet and am still uncertain. Where should I look: is it better to buy through one of the machinery websites or try and find locally. Thank you all for your time. Marcin

Replies11
  1. #1D3DaveC2014-09-17 00:56

    Is there any gravel remaining at all? Might be easier to sell some gravel first if you can get it. I like my D5 m. Not hydrostatic.

  2. #2CM19952014-09-17 07:32

    With a $60K budget and the area that needs to be worked, I would look for a larger dozer D6 or bigger. Use it for what you need and then sell it or keep it around if it makes financial sense. A 100 acres is a large area to cover with one machine.

  3. #3Dustin2014-09-17 08:37

    I agree with cm1995. I did the same thing as you and looked for a ranch machine years ago in the 100hp range budget was 40k. I found alot of small dozers but stumbled on a komatsu d65... 190 hp. At first I thought it may be too big but trust me it isnt. I rarely find a project where i think that a smaller machine would be nice...especially building a pond, when i am doing that i always wish I had at least a D8 sized machine.

  4. #4td25c2014-09-17 22:38

    500 acre farm / ranch , 60,000 budget ..... Cat D7G dozer . Will handle large or small tasks with ease .

  5. #5stumpjumper832014-09-17 22:45

    Hum, 60k buys a lot of iron for farm use. I think an angle blade on a bigger tractor would suit you well. Im leaning towards a cat 8h/k, angle blade, and a pan behind? I do think your right on ironing up, 25 acres for 750 hours isn't very productive...

  6. #6FSERVICE2014-09-17 22:48

    the bigger the better for pond building the heavy dozer will pack better, be easier on the slopes & make filling in the ravines a lot faster. as far as to where to purchase. look real close at the auctions cause that's where a lot of companies dump their junk stuff..

  7. #7CDUB2014-09-17 22:50

    I always lean toward the philosophy that the only such thing as "too big" is either it's physically too big for the area you want to work or it's too big to economically haul. I'd buy a good D6 or D7. Maybe an 8 if you're feeling sporty.

  8. #8stumpjumper832014-09-18 07:21

    So I looked around the dallas area for you on craigslist and came across this 8k. It doesn't have the pan, but its set up about right. Even includes a winch, which could be a huge help. Only thing with a winch on this size tractor is that you need something rather substantial to hook it to if your trying to retrieve yourself, but it beats not having one. http://easttexas.craigslist.org/hvo/4668841743.html

  9. #9Georgia Iron2014-09-18 21:16

    I would hands, down.get a 963 caterpillar loader. I don't think there is any thing you can't do with it. If you want to move it with a dump truck better get a 953. One word of warning. I can not buy fuel fast enough. I have ran out 5 times and I have a 70 gallon electric truck tank. I only have 953'S. I can not really understand the point of having a dozer unless you just need to push dirt not very far. If I need to move a bunch of dirt over say 100.yrds a rock truck or dump truck and loader makes more sense to me. If you think the ctl is great wait till you get good with a big piece of iron. You will wonder why you put 750 hrs on that tak. Maybe you should rent a dozer and see how you like it. As far as buying a machine I would absolutely only buy something you can jump on and run and dig. I would load it.up and see.how it turns and how the power feels under load.

  10. #10lumberjack2014-09-18 21:55

    I'm surprised CM said a dozer instead of a 953/963 loader. They look to be a sweetheart of a machine.

  11. #11CM19952014-09-19 09:11

    For what the OP posted, I think a large dozer would be more efficient. I am a track loader fan but a 6 or bigger would work better for his described situation. If the choice was a smaller 6 way dozer then I would vote for a track loader. Since the machine will stay on the property, bigger is better. And this - In this situation, one can move more CY's with the same amount of fuel with proper slots and a thought out work plan. My 953 is a fuel pig.