Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555a ford backhoe lubricants

jimg984 ยท 2010-03-07 01:35

i dont like paying ford dealer prices on lubricants for use in a well used 1985 backhoe......... example $80.00 plus for 5 gallons hydraulic oil need help converting the followinG Ford number from a Ford operators manual to something cheaper HYDRAULIC SYSTEM...............................FORD 48 4X4 POWER REVERSING TRANSMISSION......FORD 41 REAR AXLE............................................FORD 53 THS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU HELP JIMG984 NORTH CAROLINA

Replies4
  1. #1pinesd34002010-03-07 07:57

    Hi I know youre concern, In my case my local Ford dealer where we bought it new closed up after 60 years. I have always used Ford New Holland Lubes filters etc. I now am forced to Napa using Napa's best (they also carry cheap stuff) Off my head may not be correct, but MC134 Hyd. oil used in Hydraulic, power steering and transmission. I have no problem at all with Napa, it also has printed on the container Ford JD IH Cat Case specs. and more. And the rear axle is plain old gear oil. I have never touched the rear axle since new and its still full and clean on the dip stick. trust me I wouldnt do anything to endager this machine. sam

  2. #2diggerdave19582010-03-07 08:07

    I have found that TRACTOR SUPPLY (TSC) has a lot of lubricants that will work in my Case backhoe i just matched the numbers on the buckets they have a chat with compatible fluids, hope this helps. the prices are getting out of hand at the dealers on fluids and filters. and i use baldwin filters on all my machines and save a few dollars per filter.

  3. #3jimg9842010-03-07 20:05

    ths for the replies........ i would like more input on the oil for the power reversing transmission....

  4. #4DGODGR2010-03-07 21:09

    Do you have a bulk oil dealer that you can consult? The brand of oil is really not that important. It's the oil and the add mixes that go into it. Most all of the oil companies make oils that are made to meet or exceed MFRs specifications. The specifications should be available from your dealer or even on the container itself. Just take that spec and find an oil that meets or exceeds. I would try to find a good quality brand (I used Chevron for years), that is readily available in your area, and try to stay with it.