Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

massey ferguson mf50 backhoe

HEAVY386 ยท 2010-03-07 20:06

Hello I have MF50 backhoe looking for trans breakdown need to replace forward and reverse clutch packs thanks if someone can help

Replies13
  1. #1Phil2010-03-08 07:11

    ** dealer not able to help? The last time I was at my local dealer he was able to pull up the parts diagrams on an old ** 220 hoe attachment I have. I find these dealers will generally try pretty hard to help. I believe A&I supplies some aftermarket clutch pack parts for ** tractors, to dealers. Phil

  2. #2HEAVY3862010-03-08 09:16

    Thanks Phil, I`ve been looking and can`t find a dealer local , Thanks again, Dave

  3. #3AussieChris2010-03-08 15:30

    Heavy, what model MF50 do you have? I have a parts book for my MF50HX (series S). It has a 4 speed manual shift gearbox with forward/reverse shuttle (electric over hydraulic actuation). If that's the same as yours, then I could probably scan the appropriate pages for you. Chris Brisbane Australia.

  4. #4HEAVY3862010-03-08 16:20

    Chris I found it is a MF50F it has forward and reverse directional peddles Thanks Dave

  5. #5AussieChris2010-03-08 16:23

    Ok, sounds like a different set up to mine. It has forward and reverse on the left side of the steering column. Chris.

  6. #6Gravely Guy2010-03-12 10:33

    You probably have the 'auto reverser' transmission which ** started using in around 1962 and stopped using with the release of the MF50H IIRC. Tom

  7. #7Keithcase2016-05-22 05:53

    Mf50h Hello Chris, I have a seized front wheel on my 4WD MF50H and am struggling to open the hub. Has three 5mm hex head bolts which don't seem to have been opened since new (1989). I've tried heat and penetrating oil but am still shearing 5mm keys on 1/2" socket drives trying to turn the bolts. Any advice please? I'm working blind as don't have manual/parts diagrams - do you have the assembly drawing for the 4WD front axle please? Thanks Keith

  8. #8Coastiebro2016-05-22 23:36

    Those hex head bolts can be frustrating. I use a tool called an "attack driver" made by KOKEN in Japan. Very good quality. If you google "koken tools" you should find it as a reference. Mine doesn't have the fancy hand grip. Make sure you have it set on "L" for Left or Loosen. Make sure the socket fit in the hex is snug and no dirt or crap in there. Use a heavy hammer and sometimes pays to be a bit mad (helps with the swing) just don't miss the end of the driver! Should move on first hit! Matt

  9. #9AussieChris2016-05-23 05:29

    Hello Keith, Unfortunately, I sold my 50HX back in November and all the manuals went with it. I assume you have a 4WD model. To remove those three screws, I would apply heat. If you've rounded out the hex then weld a piece of steel on to the bolt head - the heat will help break away the rust. However, I have a strange feeling that even after you get those three hex head screws out, you will only have removed a cover plate that is purely decoration. It just has the ** logo on it. My understanding is the axle is made by ZF. On my machine one of those covers was missing and there were no other bolts or access underneath it. I have no idea how the hub comes apart. These are some old photos that might show what I mean... Hub with the cover on: Hub without cover: Sorry I can't help more than that but good luck with it. Chris.

  10. #10hookedondiesel2016-05-23 07:04

    Have you tried here... http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/PartsBooksN/login.aspx?region=NorthAmerica Sign in as "quest" and on the left side it will say "show books", pick out your machine and you'll get a parts break down.

  11. #11Keithcase2016-06-02 14:24

    Hello Hookedondiesel. I tried the Agco site but signing in as guest doesn't give me access. Is there a password I'm missing please? Thanks Keith

  12. #12jflarin2016-06-03 00:12

    Somebody from Australia also told me he can't access. I guess it is related to where you are from. You could try to use an anomizer (wronly spelled I guees) that will hide your true IP address. Or a VPN service (usually paid for). Try to go out in North America and it should work. I am trying to gather the 50 HX part book and put it together. Send me a private message if that would be of use to you. jf

  13. #13Keithcase2016-06-03 03:48

    Thanks JF, will try via a vpn.