Hi I have an 84 555a . The steering after it gets hots just goes away and I have no steering. If I let it idle for a few minutes it will come back. Could this be the motor ? I rebuilt both steer cylinders and it still happens.
Have you replaced the filter in the power steering pump ?
Thanks Tinkerer. No I have not. When it gets hot the steering wheel just turns with no piston response. I will pick up a filter and give that a try . A lot cheaper than a motor.
Check filter if that is OK I would suspect the pump
Hi, if it is the pump wouldn't it be hard to steer? It's just as if the pressure is bypassing thru the steering wheel.I'm picking up a new filter tomorrow and will let you know if there is a difference. Thanks for the input.
I thought it was hard to steer if wheel just spins then most likely the orbital valve. when it stops steering shut it off and see if wheel still spins freely
Okay thanks I will try that.