Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310 backhoe

Mstone · 2023-09-07 16:52

I have an old John Deere 310d , the reverser is ran mechanically,not selinoids, all hydraulics work great it will go backwards but not forward, mechanic replaced clutches and it still won’t go forward , need ideas ,

Replies26
  1. #1Steve Austin2023-09-07 19:42

    Your SR# must be below -792482, do you notice any movement in neutral?

  2. #2Mstone2023-09-07 20:51

    I’ll check on serial #, it Alway hesitated trying to go forward , then was getting worse , if you drive it down the road it would just roll to a stop after awhile , shut it off for ten minutes then it would go , no movement in neutral Thanks

  3. #3Steve Austin2023-09-07 21:50

    Did he reseal the piston in the forward clutch pack?

  4. #4Mstone2023-09-07 23:39

    Supposed to be all new seals and clutch plates , he was suspicious of the valve body that goes from forward to reverse , he put another used one on it and nothing ,

  5. #5Mstone2023-09-07 23:45

    All new seals and clutch plates , he is suspicious of the valve body that controls forward and reverse , he put a used one on and nothing, I was told that if the clutch pedal was even slightly out of adjustment it won’t go forward, he says its adjusted correct

  6. #6partsdic2023-09-08 03:18

    Linkage Adjustment: Ensure that the mechanical linkage for the forward/reverse control is properly adjusted and not binding. Hydraulic Pressure: Check the hydraulic pressure and flow to the transmission to confirm it's adequate for forward motion. Internal Transmission Problems: Despite clutch replacement, there may still be internal transmission issues, such as damaged gears or shift forks, that need further inspection by a qualified technician. Transmission Control Valve: Inspect the transmission control valve for proper operation and any potential blockages.

  7. #7Mstone2023-09-08 09:24

    Thank you , 170 psi reverse , 0 forward

  8. #8Steve Austin2023-09-08 10:37

    Anything unusual found in little small reservoir on reverser when disassembled?

  9. #9Diesel Dave2023-09-08 10:46

    I suspect the machine is an old girl from the early 70’s with serial # arrangement such as 310-D xxxxxx T . Hopefully the OP will come back with serial # info

  10. #10Steve Austin2023-09-08 11:03

    Diesel Dave, Sense he noted something about clutch pedal adjustment in other posts I would say you are right.

  11. #11Mstone2023-09-08 12:39

    Model 310D Serial #. 239323T

  12. #12Mstone2023-09-08 12:42

    Not sure about something in the reservoir , machine is two hr drive away , been at the heaven machinery repair shop for 15 months

  13. #13Steve Austin2023-09-08 12:58

    Would this be what your backhoe looks like?

  14. #14Mstone2023-09-08 13:35

    Yes , I do have glass in the cab also

  15. #15Mstone2023-09-08 13:38
  16. #16Steve Austin2023-09-08 14:16

    OK here’s what I have encountered many times on 310,310A and 310B Reference parts diagram. Arm 24 is FNR Control arm, arm 5 is connected to the FNR control lever. What happens is roll Pin 9 will wear and shear in a jagged pattern. Sometimes you will have forward and sometimes you will have reverse. This can cause partial engagement low pressure or no pressure to clutch pack.

  17. #17Mstone2023-09-08 18:15

    We’ll take a hard look at it , I know when I looked under it he had a new roll pin in the shaft , it originally was a grooved pin from the factory

  18. #18Mstone2023-09-09 18:48

    Thanks so much for all ideas , where’s the best place to get a tech manual , not sure about clutch adjustments etc

  19. #19Diesel Dave2023-09-10 08:55

    There is manual TM1036 at the Deere Bookstore. Less than $75.00 . John Deere - Technical Information Bookstore Welcome to John Deere C&F Technical Information Bookstore. This site contains operating, maintenance, and service information. www.johndeeretechinfo.com

  20. #20Delmer2023-09-10 10:57

    The "D" on the model number and serial number plate is confusing, as JD had a D that stands for Dubuque on many numbers. This one looks like a "straight" 310.

  21. #21Mstone2023-09-10 12:40

    Thank you ,manual is on its way

  22. #22Mstone2023-09-10 12:41

    You may be right , an old John Deere mechanic I’ve been visiting with thinks it’s a straight 310 not a d

  23. #23Mstone2023-09-10 12:43
  24. #24mg23612023-09-11 04:54

    Before tearing into the transmission control valve, check the rod and roll pin shown below. It goes across the bottom of the trans/bell housing area from the pedal to the control valve. I have seen this pin and roll pin wear to the point that the transmission may lose forward before it loses reverse. If I recall correctly, it will be connected to roll pin #6 in Steve's picture from post #17.

  25. #25Mstone2023-09-11 11:50

    Thank you so much for the help and ideas everyone, we will work on the control shaft , the mechanic says the shaft is fine but I’ll take a look

  26. #26Mstone2023-09-19 22:13

    Just visited with mechanic , he’s going to separate the machine and recheck everything, I checked the control shafts , roll pins etc , all good , he gets forward hydraulic pressure for a bit then looses it , maybe internal leakage ?