Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555e 4×1 bucket wont move, ideas for fixing?

mike WANLESS ยท 2023-05-10 16:18

I bought this 555 and it had been hard used, been working at making it better. When purchased the 4x1 would swing open when dragged, I put hooks and chains to work to make it functional and did a lot of work. The control handle and cable had been butchered together and the cable was frozen. Ive got things loosened up and have a fix for the linkage but i figured i would test the cylinders before i bought a new cable. I pull up and down(about an inch movement) on the bellcrank that actuates the valve block with no respose from the cylinders. ANy ideas on what to do next? thaks

Replies14
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-05-11 11:55

    Is the spool in the valve bank moving up and down full stroke when you operate the control lever ?

  2. #2mike WANLESS2023-05-11 14:35

    It feels like about 3/8". How much should it move?, thks

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-05-11 15:54

    More than that. Is this the valve you have ?

  4. #4mike WANLESS2023-05-11 16:54

    Actually got in again ,throw seems about 3/4 inch n I think I hear fluid moving, but no ram movement

  5. #5mike WANLESS2023-05-11 16:55

    That is the setup yes, thks

  6. #6NH575E2023-05-11 19:45

    The 4 in 1 control is at the bottom of page 8-31. You twist the handle clockwise and counter clockwise to operate the clam.

  7. #7Tinkerer2023-05-11 19:59

    If you are using the control likw NH575 described and you can hear oil flowing, The piston seals in the clam cylinders may be worn out. All the hoses are routed correctly, right ???

  8. #8mike WANLESS2023-05-11 21:49

    Pretty sure it's stock line setup but i need to look at the manual., wouldn't they leak? Could there be a solenoid involved. Wiring is pretty buggered.thks again. I get the twist, it moves the valve shaft up n down.

  9. #9Swetz2023-05-12 09:43

    As I look at the drawing for the 4 in 1, I can see several places that could be not functioning correctly for you. Item #1 in the drawing below jumps out at me the most because it is located under the tractor and would be very prone to the elements. The lever has 2 bushings that have prolly never been lubed, and may be sizing up. I recommend you go under and tractor to move the spool for the 4 in 1 and see if it will move manually. (does not have to be running, you are looking to see if the linkage to the spool is bound). If that checks out, I would move to the upper end of the actuation cable. Is the cable itself free? If so, you have the bell crank and multiple rod ends that could be toast. You have stated that you hear a hydraulic noise when you try to actuate...I am thinking that you do not have the proper stroke on the spool to set movement on the piston, just enough to interfere with the oil flow....my 2 cents

  10. #10mike WANLESS2023-05-12 12:22

    Currently no cable, I can move lever #1 to hear the oil movement change noise. Do you know what the throw should be. Seems like it is about 1/2 to 3/4" both directions(up n down) now. I am wondering if that is enough but it is about all the bellcrank can move the cable

  11. #11Swetz2023-05-12 12:25

    I do not know what the throw should be. Item 1 loose when you move it? Can you move the spool more by hand?

  12. #12mike WANLESS2023-05-12 12:32

    The lever and the spool seem free, i made a hook to pull up on the cable end of the lever arm but it was hard to pull . i can put a cresent on the arm itself and move it

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-05-13 10:52

    You could disconnect the cable from the spool and exercise it to determine if the core of it moves freely. The cable might be bound up from a lack of lubrication. Submersing it in oil for a while will sometimes make a world of difference for making easy to use. It is a good fix for stiff accelerators that use a cable for linkage to injector pumps.

  14. #14mike WANLESS2023-05-13 12:52

    I had to leave machine for a while but thinking about it the other two spools for the bucket seem to move much more freely. The cable was frozen up, not stock, so maybe it is the lever bushings that are bound up n making it require so much force to move the lever arm n the attached auxiliary spool. I will remove in lube n see if the spool itself is free when I get back in a couple of weeks. There is an unload valve,#8 in Figure8-65, could it possibly a problem? All the other bucket functions work fine. The again