I believe I have the correct page identified in the parts manual, but I'd like to get someone elses opinion to make sure I actually found the right one. It doesn't necessarily call it out spot on with the wording I'm used to, but I need to get a seal kit for this cylinder. Either the page # in the parts manual or kit number would confirm if I picked the right one. This isn't my machine, but will do it justice....
A serial number will probably help.
It is impossible IMHO, for anyone to give you an answer unless you post a link to the page in the parts book you are referring to.
When I rebuilt that cylinder on my 575 I ordered 3 possible kits. None of the 3 kits had a correct wiper seal. I had to source that by size. One kit had most if the important seals. Mine also needed a replacement piston. I found one through a forklift parts company. Problem is your hoe may not have been fitted with the same cylinders mine was. I seem to have a b*****d when it comes to cylinders. This is my thread on the crowd cylinder. You could probably skip down to post #9 and get most of the information but you might want to read the whole thread before proceeding. HeavyEquipmentForums
Dave, there was only 1 parts book for the 555e, so this is why I did not put it originally, but yes in most cases that would be of good help. Tinkerer, I was trying to refrain from posting this so that I did not muddy the waters with information I provided that could be wrong. I was looking for a confirmation of sorts, without someone saying "yeah that looks right" on the info I provided. I do understand your point though and will find a few screenshots.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Whether you meant to or not, you did confirm one of the names I had been seeing about the actual name of the cylinder... Crowd cylinder. The other one that's in the parts book is called a "ditching cylinder", but it lists crowd in some of the descriptions.
Attached is a Service Bulletin with lots of info and numbers for the E series New Hollands.
@Tinkerer here are some shots I was using....
Here are some screen shots from a early manual I bought off eBay. The BSN note is "Before Serial Number" being the serial number on the right side of the machine frame. Not the cylinder or backhoe frame.
The BSN in the parts list makes it a difficult thing to know which one you have. Look at the face of the gland. Hopefully it will be stamped with an id #. Ifn it doesn't about all you can do is dismantle the cylinder and do some measuring. Or take the rod with the piston still on it to hydraulic shop. They will know what it needs.
If you read through the thread I posted on my reseal, Swetz and I both shared some dimensions and part numbers that may help. Hopefully your gland will match his for the wiper seal and wear bearing. If it does the kit I got most of my parts out of should be complete for your reseal.
Appreciate everyone’s help and feedback. It’s a job I plan to do over the next month or two so I will report back on my findings. Hopefully with this one I will be able to get the gland off unlink the swing cylinder I tried last year! That one had to go to the shop
Send the old seals to Hercules, they will match them. You do have to trust the post office, a risky thought. Priority mail padded envelope will get it there. Joe H