Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555E Fuel Injector Pump Question

MJE · 2021-10-11 13:51

Greetings, Cleaning the fuel system in my non-emmisioned 555E...cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel supply line, added an inline filter, cleaned the screen in the lift pump, cleaned the bango bolts, cleaned the water separator bowl, replace the fuel filter. I thought there may be a screen in the injector pump and began to unbolt the line from the fuel filter to the injection pump but the fitting on the injector pump side appears "cut" in half. Should it be? Could these additional threads be on the end of the tube? Once I noticed it I stopped and did not proceed any further. Any help is appreciated Also, can anyone confirm there is in fact a screen in the injection pump? If so what is the best way to remove it?

Replies14
  1. #1mekanik2021-10-11 14:07

    That looks like a rubber grommet that seals the line to the fitting. Over time it has molded itself to the threads. I would recommend replacing the grommet.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2021-10-11 14:24

    Yes, the black piece is a rubber grommet.. but.. it looks like the threads are pulled on the brass fitting.. AND YES, there is a filter under the inlet nut..

  3. #3mekanik2021-10-11 14:43

    Someone may have over tightened it to try stop it from leaking. That type of fitting is prone to weeping with age.

  4. #4Swetz2021-10-11 14:48

    The rubber grommets that you showing are called olives. They are prone to leak or allow air into the system. They are simply pulled off the fitting over the flared end. Below is a link to them on ebay. There are 2 common sizes so make sure you get the correct size. I think you can even buy a set with both sizes in it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/323963333260?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

  5. #5MJE2021-10-11 14:52

    What a dummy!!! I assumed it to be metal when I saw it but you all are correct. They are rubber and have taken on the thread shape. Many thanks for the quick response and guidance. Swetz, thanks for the link.

  6. #6MJE2021-10-12 08:04

    Swetz, Would you happen to know what the correct size olive is for a 555E? Is it the dimension listed in the E-bay advert? Thanks

  7. #7Swetz2021-10-12 08:26

    5/16" see the thread below. A great thread on olives HeavyEquipmentForums Another thread that looks at the fuel system on 555E HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8MJE2021-10-12 08:52

    Thank you!

  9. #9thepumpguysc2021-10-12 09:01

    If your lucky enough to get to the Ford parts website, that pump is a Delphi DP200/210.. It’s not a simple DPA.. whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE TOP COVER.. If your unsure of the line size?? Take the open end of a wrench and try to fit it TO THE LINE..& that’ll be your I.D. size.. Good luck.

  10. #10NH575E2021-10-12 11:09

    I didn't think there were any non-emission versions sold in this model in the states. If yours has the mechanical lift pump with the lever on it I guess they did. My emission model has an electric lift pump on top of the fuel filter housing. To answer the question about the Injection Pump having a screen mine had one under the fitting where you have the line disconnected. Not sure if yours is the same but it looks like the same pump my engine has. Be mindful there are a lot of little parts under that screen that can get out of place. When I pulled the screen out of mine some of those parts came out with it. My screen in that location was clean but the rest of my system was filthy.

  11. #11MJE2021-10-12 21:57

    Thanks for this. I was able to get the screen out and all of the little parts. I had the same drawing and I am hopeful I got them back in the same order.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2021-10-13 05:12

    It’s to late now.. but ur supposed to hold the guts down with a small screwdriver (pocket screwdriver) while pulling up on the filter..

  13. #13MJE2021-10-15 08:02

    Well, got it all back together and the manual lift pump would not prime. I then remembered I removed the fuel line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and did not change the rubber seals. Pulled it off, removed the old seals and installed new...VIOLA! Running great.

  14. #14Swetz2021-10-15 11:48

    Now back to tractoring!!!