Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 4.5L not shutting down

hootowl · 2021-10-11 11:57

Here's something weird I recently discovered with my 28 Model A powered by a John Deere 4.5L Turbodiesel. I started experiencing a strange phenomenon when shutting it down. Randomly when I turn the key off, it would continue running for a while. I have a lighted, red, push-to-start button button on the console. It's normally lit red when the key is on. When I turn the key off the light would stay lit and then slowly dim. Once the light was fully out, the motor would shut off. It doesn't do it all the time. Only when the engine is hot and the electric fan is running. We moved here from SE PA so it gets a little hotter and for longer down here (first clue). This motor has a Stanadyne rotary injection pump. I believe I found the cause. Who thinks they might know what it is?

Replies7
  1. #1showrguy2021-10-11 13:03

    That’s cool as hell !!

  2. #2thepumpguysc2021-10-11 14:28

    Electric fuel shut off solenoid possibly being powered by a faulty alternator.??

  3. #3JL Sargent2021-10-11 14:31

    The electric fan is acting as a generator and keeping solenoid open.

  4. #4Coaldust2021-10-11 16:04

    Maybe the alternator is back-feeding (for lack of a better term). Delco SI of some flavor? This will cure it. Way cool Rig!

  5. #5thepumpguysc2021-10-11 16:26

    To test the theory, simply unplug it.

  6. #6Coaldust2021-10-11 22:47

    Good point.

  7. #7DB22021-10-11 22:49

    What is the performance like ?