Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555E Fuel Issue

cosmaar1 · 2021-03-22 09:53

Hello folks. I hope everyone has had a wonderful winter season and all is doing well. What brings me to the forum today is the result of me being an idiot! About 2 weeks ago, I was out at the property digging stumps and noticed when I would push or pull a stump, my RPMs would go from 1800-1900 to 1400-1500. When I would leave off pressure, it would go back to the higher numbers. I never noticed this before and honestly had no idea why it was doing that, but kept trying to get the last stump out. About 5-10 minutes later, the machine started misfiring and then turned off. I looked down at the fuel gauge and while it was still moving back and forth in the green area, it must have lost suction because of the angle I was on and lost its prime. Needless to say, even after filling it up with fresh diesel, it would not start and I figured because it was run so low that the fuel filter was plugged solid. Fast forward 2 weeks later after finally getting a filter, my dad and I went out to get everything working again. He has worked on many diesel machines before, but it took us almost 3 hours to get this thing primed. Once we finally got it working, he decided to do a little bit of cleanup and ended up using it for about 4 hours. As he was using the machine, he did not notice any misfires, rough idling, etc., but he did say he felt like the machine was underpowered. He said it runs fine medium idled, but when you bump it up to 1800-1900, it doesn't have the umph like it used to. One thing we did not do was clean out the sediment bowl. It did have dirt in it, but it didn't look to be packed. Looking back, I should have cleaned it out regardless. Now to my question. Do you all have any ideas what could be the issue? Could there still be air in the system? Could it be the electric fuel pump not having enough pressure and needing to be replaced? Thanks all!

Replies35
  1. #1Swetz2021-03-22 10:22

    cosmarr1, By any chance did you look at the air filter? I have read that the electric fuel pumps in this machine do fail...you could verify volume and pressure.

  2. #2cosmaar12021-03-22 11:30

    I actually thought about that as well. I'm not really working in a dusty environment and the machine only has 200 hours on it since it was last changed. Worth a shot though to double check. In regards to the fuel pump, how you would suggest doing that? I would assume we could put an inline gauge in there. Would you do it prior to the fuel hitting the pump or after? When we cracked the line after the pump, it trickled out with a small stream, but we of course have no baseline to understand what it should be.

  3. #3Swetz2021-03-22 12:37

    cosmaar1, I have pasted the portions of the manual that deal with testing the fuel pump. What I cannot find anywhere is the flow rate on the pump. It needs a good flow. Perhaps one of the fuel experts will chime in with a specific volume. 2

  4. #4cosmaar12021-03-22 14:08

    Thanks Swetz. I consulted with a friend of the family who makes his living working on machinery and he agreed it was either the air filter or more than likely a faulty pump. He said that while the old pump is still working and seems fine, as you stated, its not getting enough pressure and he suggested that I buy a new one. I found one online for $50, so I think I'm gonna get that, clean out the air filter, and clean out the whole bowl. There isn't any other filter screens anywhere, is there? I haven't looked inside the tank, but I would assume the pickup is just a metal spout or hose, right?

  5. #5Swetz2021-03-22 14:45

    cosmaar1, Just looked it up on messicks. They have 8 in stock...do you think this thing fails?? Anyhow, looking at the tank drawings, they do not show any type of sock.. Perhaps you are drawing in some air?? NH575E had some problems with the seals (see thread below). HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6cosmaar12021-03-22 15:06

    I will check out the link you sent. Thanks. I just placed an order on newhollandrochester.com for all new o-rings, gaskets, etc., for both the bowl and filter housing. I also purchased a new fuel pump on amazon as there was no way I'm spending $250 for an OEM one! Along with cleaning everything out and checking the air filter, hopefully this works.

  7. #7cosmaar12021-03-22 15:07

    P.S., you have been a big help. Thank you!

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-03-22 15:21

    Fuel tank filler cap vent clear.

  9. #9NH575E2021-03-22 16:19

    I ran mine with the wire broken to the electric pump until last year. Found it when I discovered my fuel line seals (olives) were sucking air. If you get the system primed the injection pump is all it needs. If you haven't ever replaced your seals going to and from the fuel filter housing and injection pump you may want to. HeavyEquipmentForums Last time I had trouble priming I added a fuel pump inline in front of the sediment bowl and powered it with alligator clips to the battery. Sucked the fuel right up and purged the air out.

  10. #10cosmaar12021-03-22 22:43

    I would assume it is. The machine runs with or without the cap on.

  11. #11cosmaar12021-03-22 22:44

    You are talking about these.. right? If so, they look to be O-rings. https://www.newhollandrochester.com/shop/14453081/

  12. #12cosmaar12021-03-22 22:47

    I also noticed that your filter housing has a bleeder screw on the front. Mine does not. What year is yours?

  13. #13NH575E2021-03-22 22:59

    I'm not actually seeing the seals I replaced in your picture. Your illustration is showing the o-rings under the fittings. I think I just used o-rings from a kit for those. The seals I replaced are the square shaped seals on the ends of the steel lines. Here are the cheapest ones I found near the end of my discussion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od My machine has a April 98 production date. Went into service in Jan 99. It has a bleeder in the picture on front of the filter/pump housing. There is also a bleeder on top of the sediment bowl that looks just like the screw in the bottom of it.

  14. #14cosmaar12021-03-22 23:05

    Thank you for replying. I actually re-read the thread again and just purchased the link you sent prior to reading your message. I too noticed those seals were not on the drawing. My machine is a '98 as well. Not sure of the service date, but close enough. Still weird though that yours has the bleeder and mine doesn't. I see where there is an indent for where it would be put in, but it was never tapped out from the factory I guess.

  15. #15NH575E2021-03-22 23:09

    I edited my reply with different pics.

  16. #16cosmaar12021-03-22 23:10

    interesting. i know for sure mine doesnt have the filter housing. i dont think it has one on the sediment bowl either, but didnt look close enough.

  17. #17NH575E2021-03-22 23:11

    Does yours have the pump on top of the filter housing? I haven't seen any non emission engines in the states but those apparently had a mechanical pump with manual primer instead of an electric pump.

  18. #18cosmaar12021-03-22 23:18

    Based on all of the diagrams I’ve looked at the past two days, I’ve determined mine is emissioned. basically when all is said and done, every gasket, seal, washer, o-ring, etc will be replaced from the sediment bowl to the inlet of the injection pump. Including a new fuel pump itself.

  19. #19NH575E2021-03-22 23:38

    Make sure when you check the lines and seals to look inside the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl real close. When I got my machine it had a rust problem and a little wad of rust was stuck in the banjo fitting. My machine wouldn't keep running until I found and cleared that.

  20. #20cosmaar12021-03-22 23:44

    sorry to be a pain, but I’ve never taken the bowl apart yet. What do you consider the “banjo fitting”? I’ve heard the term used before on here but never knew what it was. https://www.partspring.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/53533/image/8765/

  21. #21NH575E2021-03-22 23:50
  22. #22cosmaar12021-03-22 23:52

    looks like I was off a bit

  23. #23NH575E2021-03-23 00:00

    You might also run into needing seals and the plastic screws for the sediment bowl. The screw in the bottom and the bleeder on top are both illustration number 2. My bottom screw broke so I replaced it with a bolt and copper washer. I never loosened the bleeder because I figured it would break also.

  24. #24cosmaar12021-03-23 08:44

    Yes I already purchased everything for the bowl. My plastic screws are still fine and work good. We had to take these off when trying to prime the system last weekend.

  25. #25cosmaar12021-03-26 23:31

    While waiting for parts, I’ve decided to also replace the fuel lines for the supply and return. The only thing I can’t see is inside of the fuel tank itself. The service manual doesn’t say squat about what’s inside or what the fuel lines attach to. Has anyone ever looked inside to see how the fuel is sucked up? Is it rubber hoses? Steel pipes?

  26. #26thepumpguysc2021-03-27 01:15

    Do forget, the oring(#7) MUST GO UP IN the filter head, not on the bowl..

  27. #27NH575E2021-03-27 08:17

    Small tube is supply, larger tube is return.

  28. #28Swetz2021-03-27 08:20

    NH575E, That is a great pic. I too was curious as to what was at the bottom of the tank..TY!

  29. #29NH575E2021-03-27 08:26

    FYI This is what the bottom of my tank looked like when I got it and before I soaked it with a 50% vinegar and water solution. I think it has the same rust condition in the top but I haven't taken time to pull the tank to try and deal with that. That will probably bite me down the road. My filters were clogged and the main culprit turned out to be one little chunk of rust in the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl. I had the tank cleaned, filters changed, and hoses replaced and still had the engine shutting off problem. When I found this and cleaned it out it came to life and kept running.

  30. #30Swetz2021-03-27 08:43

    A picture is worth a 1000 words!! Thanks again, more good info!

  31. #31cosmaar12021-03-27 08:54

    If I could like that 1,000 times I would. Thank you!!!

  32. #32stinky642021-03-27 19:17

    I have used the cider vinegar cleanse method as well, on several different types of fuel tanks, it really gets rid of some crap, just need to remember the baking soda flush afterwards to neutralize the acid.........

  33. #33cosmaar12021-04-03 19:08

    Well I wanted to give an update on my fuel issue now that everything (knock on wood) has been fixed. NH575E was correct about one thing, boy were those banjo fittings clogged up with a bunch of crud! Honestly I think this was the culprit, but we decided to replace all of the gaskets, washers, and o-rings for the whole bowl assembly. I also put an inline filter in to try and prevent this from happening again. Just for the heck of it because I figured they were original, we replaced the supply and return hoses. Next up, we replaced some of the “olives” on the hard lines going to the filter housing and then going to the injector pump. We did have an issue with these. Someone suggested purchasing these from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-...333260?hash=item4b6db82a8c:g:Y~QAAOSwTtZfc3od While they did end up working, the ones I got from this link were not thick enough. When we put one on each end of the tube, once connected to the fitting, the tube would be loose and would not seal. We tried using a piece of 5/16 hose, but it was slightly too big and the nut wouldn’t slide over it. We ended up using 2 of the eBay ones on each end and were able to put one on top of the other. This worked good. Lastly, I bought a fuel pump originally thinking that was the issue, but didn’t need to use it. Amazon will be getting this back Appreciate everyone’s help, pictures, and suggestions. You guys are the best! Edit: the machine worked great prior to me running it out of fuel. After running it today, we were able to lower the RPMs with the same performance. The throttle response also seemed a lot better as well. My guess is that we had a slight blockage prior and when I ran it out of fuel it made it worse to make it not want to run at all.

  34. #34Swetz2021-04-04 09:00

    cosmaar1, That is great news! The pictures are great as well!

  35. #35rumblecloud2023-05-03 10:02

    bookmarked this string. Thanks. R