Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555E hazzard / turn signals

NCman ยท 2017-05-04 11:39

UST bought a 99 New Holland 555e and while hauling the roof blew off somewhere on the interstate. I want to hook up some new hazzard lights and I'm having some issues. The front right and left have a two wire plug and the rears have four wire plugs. I hooked up one light to the frt and hit the switch and got nothing. Do all four have to be wired up for them to work? Also, why do there rear plugs have four wires? Do I just hook black to black on lights in rear and then twist the other three together with the red from the light? Thanks for any tips

Replies5
  1. #1Plongson2017-05-04 13:13

    Funny it doesn't already have hazzard flashers but remember you probably have brake lights explaining the extra wires to the rear. Mine incorporates diodes as well so as not to back feed the system. Just some thoughts...be careful, trace things out with a multimeter...don't fry your new tractor

  2. #2NH575E2017-05-04 22:33

    My cab tractor has brake, turn/hazard, and work light connectors. Not sure of wire colors for which but when I was repairing the work lights they had been incorrectly wired to the turn signal lamps. I don't need signals or brake lights since mine stays on the property.

  3. #3NCman2017-05-05 08:25

    It did have hazards but when the top blew off it took the frt and rear hazards with it. Fortunately the wires are still there so I can install new lights. From some goofing it looks like the rear lights had four wires each for stop, tail, turn and ground. My hoe does not have turn signal option. I plan to use a tester and just male hazards AMD brakes operational. Thanks for the tips

  4. #4NH575E2017-05-05 17:34

    I don't know the actual answer but I do know some older vehicles required all the bulbs to be good and connected for the flasher relay to operate. Most of the time if one bulb was out the others would still illuminate but would not flash. Your best bet is to start at the fuse and make sure it is good. Then I would jump to the wires with a test light and see if any have power. If you don't find anything there you will need to start at the switch and work your way through. Looks like your fuse panel should be under the seat. The flasher relay in the operators manual lists it as K1 but in the workshop manual they call it Z1. My wiring diagram isn't very good but it may be of some help.

  5. #5NCman2017-05-06 07:40

    Thanks for the help and going the extra mile as they say. I got my flashers installed I used the fog light style from rural king and then put amber snap on lenses over them. I had to drill holes in the roof frame frt and back bit it was no big deal. Just be careful drilling on the rear lights as there are wires in the box beam. I used a test light to see which wire was hot when the hazzard lights were on. The frt just had two wires so black to black and color to color. The rear had four wires so black to black and the red to the one that showed hot during testing. I still have two wires unused in the rear (each side) but I tapped them up til later. I imagine one is for brakes and the other is for tail lights. Also, now I have turn signals and 4way flashers