Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555e hydraulic cylinder rebuild tools

Nick350 · 2019-08-21 13:35

I bought a 555e awhile back and it is now time for me to rebuild a couple of the hydraulic cylinders as one has started leaking badly. The service manual says to use a "fnh07352" wrench to unscrew the cylinder. (Loader lift cylinder) I am wondering what gland nut wrenches people on here use and if anyone knows what pin size I would need for this? The manual gives me no information about pin size. Second question, will all the cylinders have the same size pins? meaning I could use an adjustable wrench with that pin size for the other cylinders I need to rebuild? (Swing and stabilizer cylinders) Thanks!

Replies19
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-08-21 13:43

    Welcome to HEF, Nick, The fnh07352 wrench you referred to will only fit one size gland. You are better off getting an adjustable one. Here is a link to the one I use. ---> https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...g+Nut+Wrench+Spanner+Adjustable+Tool&_sacat=0

  2. #2Billrog2019-08-21 14:28

    I use the same type as Tinker, Universal 1266 Adjustable Gland Nut Wrench Fit 2" - 6" Pin 1/4"- 5/16" Hole Tool

  3. #3Nick3502019-08-21 19:40

    Thank you for the quick and informational response. I wasn't sure about the quality in the adjustable ones but I'm glad to hear they work well

  4. #456wrench2019-08-21 21:55

    in my opinion, the adjustable ones work if the gland is not seized/rusted to the barrel, otherwise my best friends are heat and a large chain wrench with a 4' snipe if the gland has at least 1/2" of surface to grip. by the time I get to work on some hyd cylinders the holes in the gland are already chewed, mangled or ovalled and the pins just slip out of the holes. sometimes light hammering around the barrel while heating helps to loosen the rust if seized

  5. #5Nick3502019-08-21 22:31

    Thanks for the tips, my machine is a 98 that’s in pretty good shape so I have hope it’s not seized. I plan on fixing it over Labor Day so I’ll know then

  6. #6TVA2019-08-21 22:50

    Big Nasty also helps! Aero 4980 air hammer!

  7. #7TVA2019-08-21 22:54

    My ignorant friend bought New Holland T60A with FEL, that’s been in manure operation all its life, because it was unbelievably cheap! He didn’t ask me first! Let’s just say it was 4 yers ago and it’s still not finished!

  8. #8TVA2019-08-21 22:57

    I absolutely hate the ones that two pin hole on the face and all internal threads, and uses set screw on the side of the barrel!

  9. #9JL Sargent2019-08-23 16:29

    One other option for the pin type spanner wrench. I took a large hook type spanner and drilled it for drill pins the same size as the gland pin holes. This works well as long as gland is in decent shape.

  10. #10Tinkerer2019-08-23 17:50

    You just described about 1 million Case hydraulic glands. If a rebuilder doesn't know it is there that lock screw can be the reason lot of pin holes get destroyed. I have never done it, but you can drill new pin holes in a gland.

  11. #11TVA2019-08-23 18:20

    When you’re not the first doing it to the cylinder, and the person who did it before overtightened that set screw - it bacomes big PITA!!!

  12. #12NH575E2021-06-02 08:44

    I bought the adjustable gland nut wrench many have listed here but the last cylinder I tried to use it on it wouldn't stay square with the face of the gland. Ended up using a 3' pipe wrench with a cheater pipe on the handle. Make sure and tape some cardboard or something on the shaft to protect it while loosening the gland. Some of the NH pin holes are close to 7/16" which is about the size of the holes on the adjustable wrench but the actual pins in the wrench are smaller. I found 7/16 lynch pins fit the holes in the wrench and the holes in some of the glands better. 7/16 Lynch pins are hard enough material and cost $0.25 each at Tractor Supply. I have two 3' pipe wrenches and have found them to be the best tool in the shed for working on my large cylinders.

  13. #13Swetz2021-06-02 08:46

    Nick350, There are several members on here with similar machine (555E-675E), so there have been several discussions. If you search you will find more information about cylinders, but I am attaching some threads that I started about this machine. You will find the tools that worked for me in these posts. Also within these posts you will see some New Holland bulletins about the cylinders...Be Aware that NH changed kits and your SN is your friend...I have found Messick's a good source for information as they are not afraid to call NH in your behalf. This one I chose because you mentioned swing cylinders in your post HeavyEquipmentForums Stabilizer cylinders HeavyEquipmentForums Seal kits HeavyEquipmentForums Another cylinder thread by another E series owner HeavyEquipmentForums

  14. #14JL Sargent2021-06-03 07:56

    Straight from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3338795797...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2563228.c101111.m2109

  15. #15NH575E2021-06-03 08:25

    https://www.amazon.com/31035-Heavy-...rds=36+inch+pipe+wrench&qid=1622723070&sr=8-3

  16. #16JL Sargent2021-06-03 08:43

    Or the aluminum version that weights only 1/4 as much. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHPJQN...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-06-03 10:46

    36 inch steel one is $23.99 at harbor freight. Life time warranty. I have a 24" inch and it all I ever needed for glands. The cheater pipe has to cover the entire handle to prevent bending it.

  18. #18treborterb2023-09-21 13:12

    JL Sargent...the link you provided takes me to a cast steel pipe wrench...not aluminum

  19. #19JL Sargent2023-09-21 16:22

    That was 27 months ago. No doubt they've changed the product half a dozen times by now.