Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Backhoe – Help Removing Steering Wheel

woodfirst · 2019-08-21 20:53

I have a JCB 212S and I need to remove the steering wheel to access the column switch. Anybody know tips to remove? The wheel is a composite material and flexes when I try to put a gear puller on it. I've tried putting pressure on it with gear puller and hit with a hammer w/o success. Obviously I've tried to pull by hand as well. I've only managed to damage the bolt threads. I cant apply heat as the hub and wheel will melt. Any ideas? This thing is on there tight. Thanks in advance!

Replies3
  1. #1LN Pipeline2019-08-21 22:05

    I put two longer pieces of steel under the steering wheel to spread out the load, and hooked the gear puller to that. It was stuck on there good. I’m assuming you took the plastic piece off the center of the wheel and removed the nut?

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-08-22 08:50

    I have had very good results by using an air chisel with a pointed bit. Maintain pressure as described by LN and apply the air chisel.

  3. #3woodfirst2019-08-22 20:25

    Thanks for the replies. I def have the cap and nut off. I will try the steel behind the wheel trick. I tried the air chisel and hammer on the threaded rod rod but only managed to damage the threads, This puppy is on there hard...