Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555e injection pump replacement? Timing and how many labor hours?

stephen4785 ยท 2014-11-10 01:27

Im reading through the manual and it says to use a timing gauge. Im just taking the injection pump off and having it rebuilt. Do I still need to use the timing gauge? I know that I need to spin the engine over and line up the timing marks on the flywheel then make sure the marks on the pump and the front cover are visible. Everything Iv read says that the shop that rebuilds it will set the timing so all I have to do is install it. Also, does anyone know how many labor hours swaping the pump calls for?

Replies2
  1. #1thepumpguysc2014-11-10 06:12

    Kinda depends on which type of pump you have.. CAV or Bosch.. I don't know what book time is but a home owner can do it in about 2 hrs.. 1hr off and 1hr back on.. Some pump #'s would help.. theres a tag on the side of the pump..

  2. #2stephen47852014-11-12 20:39

    Well the tag is rubbed off. I took it off today. Mine looks just like this http://cdn3.volusion.com/crka3.z5yrm/v/vspfiles/photos/87840745-2.jpg?1345452536 There isnt any adjustment for the pump itself. The bolt holes arent slotted. I think the manual says to turn the engine to 30degress btdc due to slots in the pump drive gear covering the pump mounting bolts. At tdc you have to bar the engine in order to access the bolts that go through the accessory drive cover and thread into the pump. Im still wondering if Im supposed to install the pump on tdc or at 10deg btdc like the book says. I can email the fuel manual I bought if anyone needs/wants it.