I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I'm technologicallychlenged to say the least and steictly on a phone. I have a 555E backhoe and the loader will fall fairly quickly unless it's raised way up. It stays up fine if it's way up. I've repacked the cylinders thinking I had an internal leak. I'm fairly clueless on testing and have yet to get a manual. Any insight on a starting point would sure be appreciated. Are the $20 Ebay download manuals any good?
First, welcome to the Tractor/loader/backhoe section of the Heavy Equipment forums. You did put it in the right place BTW. Worry about the manuals later let's take a look at your issues first. Not sure if I can help, but others will be along soon. There are quite a few 555E owners here as well. You say you've replaced the cylinders (I'm assuming the ones that apply the lift)? And there is no evidence of external leak down from any of the new cylinders? It's odd that it holds at a higher position and not at a lower one. If there are no signs externally, then yes you are right in assuming an internal. In which case I will be of no help. But hang in there and someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.
I will attempt to upload the hydraulics manual here.
Since it has two cylinders to hold it up, I wouldn’t assume both are bad. One should hold it up empty. My guess is something in the loader valve is sticking. Only other thing it could be is that you didn’t pack the cylinders correctly.
I guess a third item could be that something is wrong with the loader lever itself.
Thank ya sir x 2! This is a first for me. I've repacked a couple dozen or better cylinders on various equipment over the last few years with no issues.
An error on my part is definitely in the realm of possibility. This is a first for me. I've done 25 or 30 cylinders, none with any issue so far. I'll check into that. Thanks. I'm chomping at the bit to diagnose it. Thank ya sir!
Yessir, the lift cylinders are in question. I did almost all of them on the machine, as most were leaking externally. No external leaks before or after on the 2 loader lift cylinders.
How’s the oil level and how soon after you repacked them did this start? Just wondering if maybe some air is trapped in them, could it be causing issues. You would think that if it were low on oil, they wouldn’t lift all the way but have seen some strange things before. Do you have an load leveler or return to dig valves and or linkage, that could be sticking. I also think it’s possible your spool valve or linkage may be sticking a little.
By chance did you replace the piston seals? I was reading a similar problem on a different forum a few minutes ago and theirs was trashed.
Cosmaar1 asks a valid question: did you replace the piston seals? New seals and backers stick out a bit more and are prone to cutting upon assembly. It is possible that the seal was cut. How long ago did you repack these cylinders, and did they leak down since, or always? Did you full stroke the cylinders in order to bleed all of the air? It is possible that some crap got to the control valve and is keeping it off center. Does the loader control feel centered when not using a function? Just some things to think on.
Repacking them didn't change anything. Thank you for the manual.
I did replace the piston seals.