As stated in a prior post, I picked up a 580c project but don't know anything about working on heavy equipment. This site has so much valuable information and I'm learning a lot! I did purchase an operators manual and service manual and will be doing some basic maintenance and fluid changes. So here's my dumb question. The machine has a power shuttle and 4-speed transmission. The power shuttle seems to use trans/hydraulic fluid. The transaxle uses gear oil. My question is, does the 4 speed gearcase and transaxle/differential all share the same oil or are there separate reservoirs? Second question. This thing has been sitting for a while. The hydraulic fluid in the sight glass looks clear. I'm debating whether or not I want to change the hydraulic fluid. I have no idea how long its sitting in there but 30 gallons of hydraulic fluid isn't exactly cheap. I'm thinking of just removing the drain plugs for enough time to allow any potential water to drain out, and then refill the system. ...or should I bite the bullet and change all the fluid? These seals are all leaking so bad I imagine the prior owner was constantly topping it off so maybe the fluids relatively new?
trans and diff common oil. Crack the drain and see what comes out of hyd. More than likly if its been sitting outside its already got some water in the cylinders past the dirt seals so fire it up exercise all and see what leaks. Fixing cylinders and replacing hoses will loose oil anyway
Chances are if you crack one or both of the drain plugs nothings coming out till spring unless you've got 'er in a heated shop. Keep in mind once you fire that machine up the pump will cycle the stuff in the reservoir and any water in system that is warm enough will be emulsified and you'll have to let it sit for another year to settle to bottom again. As stated when you rebuild cylinders and replace lines you're gonna lose a bunch of fluid anyway. P.S. there are no dumb questions when getting used to a new machine. You stated you got owners and service manuals, hopefully parts manual was also part of the set. Parts book will be your friend when finding OEM or aftermarket parts with correct part numbers.
Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't plan on touching this thing until the weather warms up ..
I have a bit of water in my hydraulics and tried the flush by Willie I think but evidently screwed it up. What I did do was add a 3/4” gate valve on the bottom of the tank. If I remember right, it’s 3/4” NPT on the drain plug. What I do is, when it’s warm out and I haven’t run the hoe in awhile, I will go and drain out what water is at the bottom of the tank. It is working because at first it would be a couple of cap fulls now it’s just a couple of drops. I leave the container on my toolbox, so I can see how long it takes to completely separate. Usually takes only a day or two.