Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have removed the swing cylinder from tractor and have it in a large vise and i'm trying to remove the outside nut, I purchased the OTC ID spanner wrench that fits the 5/16 holes perfectly. The wrench has a 3/4 inch square hole for a 3/4 inch ratchet, I have one of the snap-on extra long 3/4 ratchets that I have bounced on the end with no results. Is there any special tricks to removing the nut, any info will be greatly appreciated.
Yes, there are some tricks Gearhead75. Read this thread >
You need to take a close look at the gland and cylinder, ford used a crush type ring between the cylinder and gland and after tightened it's bent into a grove to keep it from backing the gland out of the cylinder. Their are several glands and kits used also in the swing cylinder. They can be hard to get loose, but check for that crush ring and unlock it by straighting it back to the gland before trying to turn it if it has it. I had done a 555e about two months ago, right had the ring and left did not.
This is a awesome place to get good info. willie59 I did exactly as your thread described and the nut broke loose with little effort, i should have thought of that cause thats pretty much the same thing we do to pipe unions when they are stubborn to come loose. Thanks so much for the help. sheepfoot the cylinder did have the locking ring, i had bent the tab up straight but at first i did kind of think it was still keeping it locked same how. Thank both of you so much for taking the time to reply to my post.
Good to hear you had good results Gearhead75.