Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555e trans fluid change

Toxic · 2020-04-17 07:09

Is it better to prefill the filter when changeing this oil? I have dumped 5 gallons out ofbit and put new oil in on 2 separte occasions but this time i want to change the filter as well. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Swetz2020-04-18 08:19

    First, it matters which trans you have power shuttle or powershift. Power shuttle has 2 filters to worry about. Powershift only has one. I would take the time to pull the suction screen if you have a power shuttle. This is taken directly from the operators manual... power shuttle TRANSMISSION OIL FILTER AND OIL FILTER SCREEN, Figure 4-70. Unscrew the transmission oil filter (1) mounted to the top and left of the transmission and discard. Lubricate the new filter oil seal with clean transmission oil and install. The new filter should be hand tight, plus 3/4 of a turn. power shuttle screen The transmission filter screen (2) mounted in the lower right hand side of the transmission should be removed for cleaning. Remove the bolts attaching the retainer plate and withdraw the filter screen. Place in a suitable degreaser to remove any residue or heavy dirt particles. Re--assemble, renew the ‘o’ ring a powershift TRANSMISSION OIL FILTER , Figure 4-73. Unscrew the transmission oil filter (1) mounted on the right hand side of the transmission and discard. Lubricate the new filter oil seal with clean transmission oil and install. The new filter should be hand tight, plus 3/4 of a turn. No mention of filling the filter for either. Many debate the fill/no fill of filters in general. When you fill the filter, you are filling through the middle...that is the outlet of the filter. Said another way, the oil you put in will go through the system unfiltered. Power shuttle setup Powershift setup

  2. #2Toxic2020-04-18 08:30

    Hmm..that does make perfect sence. I wont be filling any filters anymore..i was mainly worried about the system loosing prime. Thanks Swetz

  3. #3Swetz2020-04-18 08:45

    Toxic, I think you read my post before I edited it...still the same info, but for the trans. I was thinking hydraulic oil when I first posted. I would advise cleaning the suction side tho...have read a lot of posts about that causing problems (if you have the power shuttle that is)

  4. #4Toxic2020-04-18 08:51

    I think i have power shuttle cause my drain point has that metal screen in it..i have drained and filled 5 gallons twice now cleaning the magnetic plug..first time there was quite a bit of crap on it..not so mich the second time I do have the manual 4 speed gear shift selector if that makes any difference. Thanks

  5. #5Swetz2020-04-18 09:10

    Yes, I would agree power shuttle...if you have a shiftier to change gears, you have the power shuttle. Powershift is an auto trans. Did you pull the screen while you had that cover off?

  6. #6Toxic2020-04-18 09:14

    Yes there was nothing on the screen..just dust on the magnet..the screen is pretty big mesh..bigger holes than the fliter in the hydrolic tank if i remeber correctly.

  7. #7Swetz2020-04-18 10:09

    A clean screen is good news!